The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 01:50pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Sophomore girls game, visitors attempting to inbound the ball and coach requests time out just before girl throws ball away and I grant it. Would have been a turn over had coach not requested time. After I report the TO to the table the home coach says to me that he can't call time after three seconds have elapsed. I almost laughed in his face, but then I remembered that he is just coaching till he gets tenure...
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

W-sohl:

How could you forget, at coaches meetings they tell them that their players get 5 seconds in the lane on offense, the defense only gets 3 seconds to inbound the ball or be closely guarded, and by the rocket science of adding these two numbers together, the opponent only gets 8 seconds to bring the ball into the front court.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

He was probably refering to the old 80% rule, or "eminate change of posession". That rule was deleted several years ago. You could not grant a TO if over 80% of a count had expired (8 on a 10 sec count or 4 on a 5 sec count), or if a player was falling OOB, etc. The new rule is much better IMO.

Blackhawk
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackhawk357
He was probably refering to the old 80% rule, or "eminate change of posession".
I'm assuming you mean imminent change of posession- or do you sense an aura emanating from turnover-prone players?
Old Fri Feb 14, 2003, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

My team has emanated change of possession far too frequently lately

Good news is we manage to win despite our best attempts to hand the game over. It may be cloudy outside, but we got the sun shining on us this winter!
Old Sat Feb 15, 2003, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

I had a boys middle school coach yesterday that kept telling his players to "stay on your feet" on defense. I called a player control foul on his player going in for a layup and slamming the legal guard to the floor. He went crazy, said the defender left his feet. I told him "it's not about the feet, it's about the verticle plane." he had no clue what the meant. Whenever his team fouled in the lane he came out with the feet remark again. I told the boys, "it's not about the feet, it's about your hands not beign straight up." (they were putting their hands/arms down and hacking the shooters).

I don't even want to talk about the miserable girls game.