The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 12, 2007, 04:40am
Official Forum Member

Training with pitching machines

Hi I'm new here!
I was wondering if anybody here can give me his opinion concerning training with pitching machines. I'm an italian univercity student and I'm going to re-design a new pitching machine so I think the best start is to ask some baseball experts. What do you think 'bout that? I'v read that some weak point of those machines are the aiming system and the deterioration of balls.
Thank in advance!!

Eric
Old Sat May 12, 2007, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Eric, Are you ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylar
Hi I'm new here!
I was wondering if anybody here can give me his opinion concerning training with pitching machines. I'm an italian univercity student and I'm going to re-design a new pitching machine so I think the best start is to ask some baseball experts. What do you think 'bout that? I'v read that some weak point of those machines are the aiming system and the deterioration of balls.
Thank in advance!!

Eric
You read correctly. A MLB quality machine (Jugs, Atec and Iron Mike) cost over $1,500. Jugs and Atec machines also require someone to load the baseballs. Iron Mike doesn't need a second person, but it is too heavy to use on the ballfield.

So, redesign a light portable machine similar to Jugs and Atec with a timing mechanism similar to Iron Mike, throwing 60-100 mph fastballs, and bring it all in under $400. I'll be happy to endorse your product after I receive one of your free beta prototypes.

Keeping your dreams alive,

SAump
Old Sat May 12, 2007, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
I never saw a real pitcher deliver a ball between two ole tires. Add a realistic throwing arm/hand so hitters can accurately pick up the throwing motion.
That would be awsome...but a little bit complicated! I was thinking about a two-driving belt system (a kind of) capable of loading tha ball first, and after that to accelerate it to the desired speed, but I was quiet worried about curve balls.
What about solving the aim problem with a laser-aiming system so that you can train more precisely? Do you think it would be too expensive?
After all if you suggest a portable one that's a good hint. I would think aboun this solution too!!
Thank you!!

Old Sat May 12, 2007, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Thanks GarthB!!
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

If anyone can figure out how this works, Sylar's the one!

At least that's what they say on the TV show "Heroes".