The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 02:50am
Official Forum Member

I worked probably my 8th and 9th games tonight. Felt good; things are starting to flow. Thank you to everybody for your advice on refereeing the defense and working wide. Near the end of the second game, I was starting to see plays much more clearly.

The second game was a mismatch. The losing team was out played, out run, out shot, out rebounded, and out manned. They did distinguish themselves by committing many more fouls than the other team

Some of them were stupid, really obvious fouls. (Where do kids learn to give the defender a big ol' belly-bump as he blows past them. Coaches, do you teach this?)

As the game goes on and the losing team is 30-40 points behind, the parents and coaches start carping. With 2 mins left in the game, I'd had enough and gave the coach the stop sign and told him that I would not listen to even a single word more. I was out near the far end of the foul line, in front of his bench when I did this, loud enough for all to hear. It shut them all up, at least.

Surely there is a better way to "manage" this situation. What do experienced refs do to keep games like this from turning sour?
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 05:00am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like you did fine. I hate games like that. But they happen. And they're good tests for officials, because those are the games that can become fiascos if you're not careful. They're also perfect opp's to work on awareness, game management, etc.

If I have Team B losing by a lot, with a lot of time still to go, I try to do a few things:

(I know you're no rookie, so you probably know this anyway, just so I don't come off as patronizing)

Suck the whistle on Team B: call the fouls that need calling to prevent dirty play, and pass on the rest. Likewise for violations; call the obvious three-step travel, but pass on the rest. If B1 beats A1 to the hoop by changing his pivot foot and then dribbling, I don't care. We want the clock to keep moving. If Team A coach complains once, apologize. If he keeps complaining, tell him you missed it cuz you were too busy checking out the scoreboard.

Team A, up by 30-40, hopefully is playing easy, and not trying to win by 100. If they continue to press or otherwise play aggressively, make sure contact gets called. This reduces the chance of increasing Team B's frustration, and helps things flow easier (move clock, move!)

Just for clarity, so I don't get flamed to death, Team B does not get to "do what they want". If they're losing by 50 AND they're a bunch of jerks, DO NOT TOLERATE ANY CRAP.

But the idea here is keep the clock moving and make it as non-eventful a butt-kicking for Team B as possible.

Now, the coach. Right from the time you start to feel him deteriorating into Bobby Knight II the sequel, make an effort to hear him out. Answer his questions. Be nice. This DOES NOT MEAN let him run wild or walk all over you. Be receptive, be nice, but be firm. We don't need to whack the coach who's losing by 40 unless we have no other choice.

As for the parents, tune 'em out unless they cross the line big time.

Not sure if this helps, and I'm sure others more qualified than me will have advice they want to add.

[Edited by canuckrefguy on Jan 31st, 2003 at 04:09 AM]
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
With 2 mins left in the game, I'd had enough and gave the coach the stop sign and told him that I would not listen to even a single word more. . . .

Surely there is a better way to "manage" this situation. What do experienced refs do to keep games like this from turning sour?

Some advice I got was NEVER say "I don't want to hear another word." Simply state, "I've heard enough" with the stop sign.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

BITS (Back In The Saddle)

Drawing the line on how much you will tolerate with a coach is going to be a personal choice that you, with experience, will develop a feel for.... I have found that as I become more comfortable (and confident) with my rules knowledge and game management skills I have lowered the threshold for chirping coaches.

I wrote a fairly detailed description of an incident that happened in a MS game last night... See it on the thread titled "Why are we reluctant to call Ts?"
http://www.officialforum.com/showthr...9&pagenumber=2

PS: I agree with Mike Sears... "Coach, I have heard enough (with the "stop sign") is most appropriate. It is blunt, direct and professional.

[Edited by williebfree on Jan 31st, 2003 at 07:04 AM]
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle

As the game goes on and the losing team is 30-40 points behind, the parents and coaches start carping. With 2 mins left in the game, I'd had enough and gave the coach the stop sign and told him that I would not listen to even a single word more.
Have you been talking to this coach all game or was this the first time you let him know that you heard him. I think by the time you get down to the 2 minute mark, unless he is yelling at you or coming at you on the court, that you should probably suck it up. This is something that needs to be dealt with in the first half if at all possible.

As for the blow out games, call the obvious on the team that is losing and protect the shooter. I also call any touch foul in the backcourt if the team that is ahead by 30-40 points is pressing. But, watch the team that is behind and make sure they aren't taking out any of their frustrations on the other team.

My two sense!
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Canuckrefguy,
I was reading your post and thinking about what I do in blowout games. And I guess sub-consciously I do exactly what you outlined. This is a great lesson to newer officials. I think most "vets" do this but I guess they probably won't admit it.
Someone a couple years ago posted on this board when a team was up by 40-50 points and still pressing that he told the coach "I can't tell you how to coach, but if you keep pressing, I can tell you how I am going to officiate". The coach pulled the press immediately.