The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy
I think we mean the same thing, our perspectives are different. I could have just as easily said it the other way. I do call "batter's out". I don't say no catch.
No. Our perspecives are the opposite.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

http://www.firedougeddings.com/
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 03:58pm
BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
No. Our perspecives are the opposite.
I guess my perspective is this - I don't verbalize information that could potentially be perceived as coaching/aiding one team or the other. If I say no catch, I'm essentially telling the runner to run. Depending on the batter, that could mean an additional 1 or 2 seconds between me saying it and they noticing it and possibly the difference between safe and out at 1B.

If I say batter's out, I am making a statement of fact to prevent the batter from causing a state of confusion he does not have the right to do.

We don't tell coaches when to bunt or what pitch to throw, so why should we tell batters when there is a D3K?
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We don't tell coaches when to bunt or what pitch to throw, so why should we tell batters when there is a D3K?
Because this has become the universal teaching at clinics and schools since the Eddings "situation".

This has been clearly stated in previous posts.

Arnie

You can't fix stupid - Ron White
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

BigGuy,

Quote:
...so why should we tell batters when there is a D3K?
Because sometimes the umpire is the ONLY one who knows whether the pitch (in his judgement) was "legally caught" or not and it is the umpire's job to make those judgements and communicate his decision to the participants.

This is NOT coaching. You are equally informing the Batter(/Runner?) and the Catcher of your ruling.

No different than a fly ball that a fielder may or may not have caught. The umpire makes his ruling and announces it so all the players know what the situation is and have the opportunity to react accordingly.

JM
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold A.
Because this has become the universal teaching at clinics and schools since the Eddings "situation".

This has been clearly stated in previous posts.
The approved mechanic is to give a strike signal to the side (no hammer) and then give the safe sign and say "No catch."
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
The approved mechanic is to give a strike signal to the side (no hammer) and then give the safe sign and say "No catch."
Garth,

Thank you for filling in the numerous blanks I left.

Arnie

You can't fix stupid - Ron White
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I guess my perspective is this - I don't verbalize information that could potentially be perceived as coaching/aiding one team or the other. If I say no catch, I'm essentially telling the runner to run. Depending on the batter, that could mean an additional 1 or 2 seconds between me saying it and they noticing it and possibly the difference between safe and out at 1B.

If I say batter's out, I am making a statement of fact to prevent the batter from causing a state of confusion he does not have the right to do.

If you get into the habit of verbalizing this on any and all D3K. It would be better then. Just adding the Batter's out to the end when needed. Then when you say it, it will simply mean the catcher didn't catch the ball, nothing else. Doesn't tell anyone to run.

"It isn't enough for an umpire merely to know what he's doing. He has to look as though he know what he's doing too." - National League Umpire Larry Goetz

"Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it."
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
As far as calling 'batters out' when he cannot advance, I dont have a choice - our state manual specifies that we will do this.
In its' lovely mauve cover........
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I guess my perspective is this - I don't verbalize information that could potentially be perceived as coaching/aiding one team or the other.
Saying "run" or "tag him" is coaching. Saying "no catch" is giving facts about the status. Again, only used when there might be some doubt.

You are correct that saying "Out" is also giving the status. My point on this is that it should no be used routinely -- use it when F2 catches the pitch that's near the dirt, or when BR runs when he's not legally allowed to.