The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Who scores??

FED Rules......bases loaded...2 outs....batter hits homerun.....runner at 2nd misses 3rd base...

Page 50 of the rule book
8-6-k
Third out running infraction—first sentence.

If the baserunning infraction is the third out , runs scored by the following runner(s) would not count.

Does the fact that this was on a homerun and all runners awarded home change this ruling? I see the runner missing third not being allowed to score, but do you take the runs off the board for the runners who legally completed their award?? I have a 12 pack of Schmidt Big Mouth Bottles bet on this one, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Assuming the defense did in fact appeal the miss at 3rd by R2, the runner at 3rd scores. That's all.
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Significantly different than OBR where no run may score if the third out is made on a force.

Tim.
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 02:46pm
Stop staring at me swan.

FED Rules......bases loaded...2 outs....batter hits homerun.....runner at 2nd misses 3rd base...
Page 50 of the rule book
8-6-k
Third out running infraction—first sentence.

If the baserunning infraction is the third out , runs scored by the following runner(s) would not count.

Isn't that a time play versus an appeal...I'm not sure, but wouldn't three runs score here because it's a time play...the BR successfully touched 1B...you guys can chew my head off here...but is my thought way out in left field? if so, please let me know...this is a guess...feel free to jump in...
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

mcrowder and Tim,

In FED, just as in OBR, if the 3rd out of the half-inning is the result of an appeal of a runner missing his "forced to" base, no run scores on the play. The appeal results in a 3rd out force.

JM
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJM
mcrowder and Tim,

In FED, just as in OBR, if the 3rd out of the half-inning is the result of an appeal of a runner missing his "forced to" base, no run scores on the play. The appeal results in a 3rd out force.

JM
John,

I may be wrong but I thought there was a case play in FED that addressed a homerun differently in this situation.

Tim.
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Don't know how many of us read Rule 9 but....

NF 9-1 Exception: A run is not scored if the runner advances to home plate duing action in which the third out is made as follows:
a. by B-R before he touches first base: or
b. by another runner being forced out; or
c. by a preceding runner who is declared out on appeal because he failed to touch one of the bases or left too soon on caught fly ball; or
d. when the third out is declared during a play in which an umpire observed a base-running infraction resulting in a force-out (this out takes precedence if enforcement of it would negate a score; or
e. when there is more than one out declared by the umpire which terminates the half-inning, the defense may select the out which is toits advantage as in 2-20-2. credit the putout to nearest baseman.
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
John,

I may be wrong but I thought there was a case play in FED that addressed a homerun differently in this situation.

Tim.
Homeruns are not treated any differently.

NF Case 9.1.1 Situation D (inside park HR)
NF Case 9.1.1 Situation L
NF Case 9.1.1 Situation M
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Oh crap. I screwed the pooch on this one.

NO runs score, as detailed so smartly after I botched this call.
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
John,

Tim.
Tim -- the difference comes when there's a "timing out" during a homerun (hit out of the park).

Suppose B4 hits a home run, but passes R1 (for the third out) after R3 has touched the plate.

In OBR and NCAA, R3's run counts -- it scored before the out. No other runs count -- they "scored" after the third out.

In FED, 3 runs count -- the runners were awarded home when the ball went out of play. B4's run does not count since he made the third out.

Note that if this long hit were on a field with no fences, that there is no award, so only R3's run counts.

When the third out is a foce play (as in the OP), then no runs count under any code.
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 07:58am
Stop staring at me swan.

Is there a difference between a force play and an appeal play. In this sitch, it's an appeal versus a force right?
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
Is there a difference between a force play and an appeal play. In this sitch, it's an appeal versus a force right?
The two have no relationship. You can have appeal plays that are forces, and appeal plays that are not. You can have "normal playing action" outs that are forces, and those that are not.
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 09:02am
Stop staring at me swan.

What instance(s) would an appeal and a force play be the same? If F8 makes a diving catch and throws the ball to F3 to double off R1 who was running on the pitch...that is an appeal play, not a force out right? Also, please help me understand how you can have a force out on an out of the park home run? I get the rule...I just don't understand how you can have a force out on a home run as in Case FED 9.1.1 L and 9.1.1 M...I'm just not seeing it...

Last edited by johnnyg08; Wed May 09, 2007 at 09:13am.
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
What instance(s) would an appeal and a force play be the same? If F8 makes a diving catch and throws the ball to F3 to double off R1 who was running on the pitch...that is an appeal play, not a force out right?
That's an appeal play and a timing play (not a force play).

The OP in this thread (home run, R2 misses third, appealed) is an appeal play and a force out.
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 09:37am
Stop staring at me swan.

So what is the correct answer in the OP? R3 scores, R2,R1,BR runs do not score? or All runs score except for R2?