The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
NB Plate vs. Davis Patent Leather?

Has anyone had experience with both? Just got done with a 3 hour HS marathon ( long game, long story) and my dogs were BARKING!! I have never had any problems with my feet using my Davis Patents, until yesterday!!

I have had these shoes for about 2 1/2 years. How long do most keep your plate shoes?

I am thinking strongly about getting NB, what do those who use them think?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

i used the NBs all throughout last summer, and i think they are great. they are incredibly comfortable and lightweight, not to mention a good price. the only thing i was unsure of was that they are high-tops, which i never used before. i have always used low-tops but it was a quick and easy switch, not to mention a comfortable one on those long hot summer days.

i have used the NB base shoes since they came out, and ive been an everyday wearer of NB shoes for running or just their casual shoes, so that is part of the reason i jumped to them right away. im very happy with them though.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

I have a pair of Honigs high tops for about 6 years. I have had them re-heeled once, and completely re-soled once. The uppers are still in good condition. The lining is begining to wear on the inside at the heel location. So, I figure I get another year out of them at least, and I bought a pair of Tanel 360's thinking I would need to break them in. They are very lightweight and by the second game they were broke in, but I have been using high tops for so long it is taking some getting used to. The shoes are fine but my shins are rubbing my ankle bone and that didn't used to happen with high tops. I worked with a partner on Thursday who had a pair of NB plate shoes and I asked him how he liked them and he said he loved them, the most comfortable plate shoe he has ever had.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 04:50pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
I have a pair of Honigs high tops for about 6 years. I have had them re-heeled once, and completely re-soled once. The uppers are still in good condition. The lining is begining to wear on the inside at the heel location. So, I figure I get another year out of them at least, and I bought a pair of Tanel 360's thinking I would need to break them in. They are very lightweight and by the second game they were broke in, but I have been using high tops for so long it is taking some getting used to. The shoes are fine but my shins are rubbing my ankle bone and that didn't used to happen with high tops. I worked with a partner on Thursday who had a pair of NB plate shoes and I asked him how he liked them and he said he loved them, the most comfortable plate shoe he has ever had.
Mine should be here by Tuesday. I special ordered a pair of 4E widths from NB itself, free shipping, $99. Base shoes came in a separate shipment, $64, free shipping, 2 days ground delivery. I got a DH next Saturday, so I'll post a review.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Rich, thanks for the heads up on the NB site. I ordered a pair myself.

Thanks everyone.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 09:13pm
Get away from me, Steve.

The plate shoes are here:

http://www.nbwebexpress.com/newbalanceMU450MK.htm

The base shoes are here:

http://www.nbwebexpress.com/newbalanceMU350LK.htm

If you need an unusual size (especially 4E width), they'll do a free ground shipping drop ship straight from their warehouse.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2007, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Used my new NB plates yesterday, and I have to say, they are the most comfortable plate shoes I've ever worn.

Rich, have you got yours yet?

-----------------------

Last edited by RPatrino; Sun Mar 25, 2007 at 10:42am.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2007, 07:24pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
Used my new NB plates yesterday, and I have to say, they are the most comfortable plate shoes I've ever worn.

Rich, have you got yours yet?
Worked a college DH yesterday. I'm ready to order a few more pairs of each. They are the most comfortable plate and base shoes I've ever owned.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Figures that the NB site wouldn't have my exact size in extra wide. They seem to have all the sizes above and below mine. I had to do a lot of searching and found an officials' site that did have my 11.5 EWs, and it was even cheaper than the NB site's price.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

I wear Gerry Davis-Son wears NB 450

I got my son's NB450's for him. They are very light and have good traction compared to the Gerry Davis high top's. The gloss is no where near as nice on NB. Has anyone tried to Leather Luster the NB450's? If so, how did it go, can you post or forward a link to some pic's?

I did my first games tonight-Plate at HS varsity then bases on JV. Shined up the GD's this afternoon using the Pedag polish from Honig's (other's have it, too) and heel/edge dressing from Kiwi. As soon as I took the field to inspect gear the kids all exclaimed "look at that ump's shoes! I've never seen any shoes so shiny? They look like mirror's!" and other stuff like that. So, I am happy with the GD's for now.

During JV game the winning varsity coach coached first and he started a conversation with me about how much he enjoyed playing in our region (his school is in a neighboring region) because the umpires all looked and acted professionally, unlike the stiffs who just show up for a check in his region. I laughed to myself because I teach at a school in his region but officiate in a different region primarily due to the reason he mentioned. Hard to believe it but only three or four professionals who look and act the part in his entire region.

I see it as a personal choice. Great looks and some comfort but lots of weight versus okay looks, great comfort and light weight. Simply a personal style decision. If they leather luster up nicely, the NB 450s would definitely be the choice due to the weight and comfort. I am reasonably quick so I have no problem covering what I need to in the GD patent hightops. I hope this helps.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 11:08pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorDave
I got my son's NB450's for him. They are very light and have good traction compared to the Gerry Davis high top's. The gloss is no where near as nice on NB. Has anyone tried to Leather Luster the NB450's? If so, how did it go, can you post or forward a link to some pic's?

I did my first games tonight-Plate at HS varsity then bases on JV. Shined up the GD's this afternoon using the Pedag polish from Honig's (other's have it, too) and heel/edge dressing from Kiwi. As soon as I took the field to inspect gear the kids all exclaimed "look at that ump's shoes! I've never seen any shoes so shiny? They look like mirror's!" and other stuff like that. So, I am happy with the GD's for now.

During JV game the winning varsity coach coached first and he started a conversation with me about how much he enjoyed playing in our region (his school is in a neighboring region) because the umpires all looked and acted professionally, unlike the stiffs who just show up for a check in his region. I laughed to myself because I teach at a school in his region but officiate in a different region primarily due to the reason he mentioned. Hard to believe it but only three or four professionals who look and act the part in his entire region.

I see it as a personal choice. Great looks and some comfort but lots of weight versus okay looks, great comfort and light weight. Simply a personal style decision. If they leather luster up nicely, the NB 450s would definitely be the choice due to the weight and comfort. I am reasonably quick so I have no problem covering what I need to in the GD patent hightops. I hope this helps.
To me it's all about comfort. The NB shoes are shiny enough. I don't need to see my reflection in a pair of shoes. It doesn't make me any less of a professional to not have a mirror shine on my shoes.

Last edited by Rich; Mon Mar 26, 2007 at 11:12pm.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
The plate shoes are here:

http://www.nbwebexpress.com/newbalanceMU450MK.htm

The base shoes are here:

http://www.nbwebexpress.com/newbalanceMU350LK.htm

If you need an unusual size (especially 4E width), they'll do a free ground shipping drop ship straight from their warehouse.
I can't get past the fugly rivets or whatever the fasteners are on the top and bottom of the metatarsal plate.

Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
I can't get past the fugly rivets or whatever the fasteners are on the top and bottom of the metatarsal plate.

Garth:

That is an older photo of the shoes before a redesign last year. Davis has the current picture. They arent that bad IMO.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 12:11am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm21711
Garth:

That is an older photo of the shoes before a redesign last year. Davis has the current picture. They arent that bad IMO.
There are still black rivets, but only two near the toe and one near the ankle.

http://tinyurl.com/2jp9cy

They have a gloss finish, but not patent. And they are the most comfortable shoes I've worn. Actually the base shoes are more comfortable.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorDave
I did my first games tonight-Plate at HS varsity then bases on JV. Shined up the GD's this afternoon using the Pedag polish from Honig's (other's have it, too) and heel/edge dressing from Kiwi.
I am reasonably quick so I have no problem covering what I need to in the GD patent hightops. I hope this helps.
I'm confused (nothing new there).

Do you mean that you actually use the Pedag polish on patent leather shoes? I thought the beauty of patent leather was that you didn't need to shine them?