The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 18, 2004, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

I want to buy the GD Patent Leather plate shoes over the winter, and really like the high tops compared to the oxford style (Im not sure why). Anyway, I noticed in my patent leather belt there are some creases and was wondering if anybody had these problems with the High Tops since around the upper ankle area when in a plate stance it sometimes bends the shoe. Let me know. Thanks
Old Sun Jul 18, 2004, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

I purchased these this year and haven't umpired very many games at all in these shoes. I will say that after only a couple games there were a few wrinkles around the toe on one of my shoes. I think these wrinkles have some bearing on the comfort of the shoe. They are great shoes, and look great! They are kind of heavy, though.

Something else that I'll add - it appeared that when packaged, they were squished into a box. This pushed the toe plates to one side and they naturally slightly bend to one side. Again, this is mainly only on one of the shoes.

-Jeremiah
Old Mon Jul 19, 2004, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Having worn patent leather shoes in the military for years, I can tell you that they will most definitely crease at the bend points in the shoe. They will still shine like crazy, but there will be creases.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Mon Jul 19, 2004, 09:58am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaliix
Having worn patent leather shoes in the military for years, I can tell you that they will most definitely crease at the bend points in the shoe. They will still shine like crazy, but there will be creases.
And when that first catcher steps on you and puts a gouge in the finish you'll realize that they're just plate shoes

--Rich
Old Mon Jul 19, 2004, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Agreed.

Anyone who has worn patent leather shoes for any length of time knows that they are not the most durable of surfaces. Back in my Marine Corp days, Marines were especially careful with the patent leather dress shoes they owned. We generally stored them in some sort of very soft cloth bag that was then put in a box. We only put them on as close to an inspection as possible and took them off as soon as possible after an inspection was over. They scratch easily and Windex only works for the very minor ones.

A good spit shine scratches too, but you can always rub the scratch out!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
And when that first catcher steps on you and puts a gouge in the finish you'll realize that they're just plate shoes

--Rich
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Mon Jul 19, 2004, 11:18am

Lightbulb A couple of ideas

How about this...buy whatever leather high top shoe you want. Buy Leather Luster and make them shine! You can fix a scratch that happens to a Leather Luster shoe, but the patent leather are just a little tougher (you can make them look good, but never perfect, again). keep a spray bottle with some water in your trunk and when you are done...wipe 'em off and they'll look good forvever.

Since, I'm sounding like Hints from Heloise here, someone talked me into trying Febreeze on my hats and shin guards. It works...it keeps the salt ring from forming on my wool hats and my gear smells better. My partners definetly appreciate that when I lug it in to the locker room.
Old Mon Jul 19, 2004, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Re: A couple of ideas

Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
How about this...buy whatever leather high top shoe you want. Buy Leather Luster and make them shine! You can fix a scratch that happens to a Leather Luster shoe, but the patent leather are just a little tougher (you can make them look good, but never perfect, again). keep a spray bottle with some water in your trunk and when you are done...wipe 'em off and they'll look good forvever.

Since, I'm sounding like Hints from Heloise here, someone talked me into trying Febreeze on my hats and shin guards. It works...it keeps the salt ring from forming on my wool hats and my gear smells better. My partners definetly appreciate that when I lug it in to the locker room.
Febreeze is good stuff. I also buy some of those 99 cent air fresheners that some folks hang on their rear view mirror, but I hang it in my trunk where my gear is. Change it monthly and it will make your stuff smell better.
Old Thu Jul 22, 2004, 08:42am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Agreed.

Anyone who has worn patent leather shoes for any length of time knows that they are not the most durable of surfaces. Back in my Marine Corp days, Marines were especially careful with the patent leather dress shoes they owned. We generally stored them in some sort of very soft cloth bag that was then put in a box. We only put them on as close to an inspection as possible and took them off as soon as possible after an inspection was over. They scratch easily and Windex only works for the very minor ones.

A good spit shine scratches too, but you can always rub the scratch out!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:

--Rich
I don't mind the little scratches in my GD plate shoes. Part of wear and tear, who cares? Plate shoes shouldn't last for more than a couple of years anyway if you work a lot of baseball.
Old Thu Jul 22, 2004, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

For the minor gouges in the patent leather shoes, try taking some really fine sandpaper and get it as smooth as possible. Then brush on some Leather Luster to that area. It doesn't look brand new, but pretty darn close.
Old Thu Jul 22, 2004, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

I just am having some trouble spending $125 plus on a pair of shoes that I am sketchy about their overall durability.
Old Thu Jul 22, 2004, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mrm21711
I just am having some trouble spending $125 plus on a pair of shoes that I am sketchy about their overall durability.
Then don't do it. Buy a non-patent brand. I'm on my second year of a pair of high tops and they are nowhere near worn out. They don't shine like patent leather GD's but they are comfortable.

[Edited by DG on Jul 23rd, 2004 at 12:09 AM]
Old Fri Jul 23, 2004, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

I know I can buy LL, but I have heard so many good things about these shoes...im leaning towards the Honig's K90
Old Fri Jul 23, 2004, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mrm21711
I know I can buy LL, but I have heard so many good things about these shoes...im leaning towards the Honig's K90
I refrained from stating a preference for brand, because the subject was about patent leathers. But my high tops are K90 and I am completely satisfied with them. They don't shine like patents but shine is not what I am after so they meet my need.
Old Fri Jul 23, 2004, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

If you are looking or high top plate shoes, I highly recommend these Spotbilt high top plate shoes. The cost about $15 less than the Honig's, are light, comfortable, and have great tread and traction on the bottom. I love 'em.

http://www.theofficialcall.com/SH-U55.htm
Old Fri Jul 23, 2004, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

We must be thinking the same, because I have had that pair for 2 years now...im pretty happy with them