The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Question

I have to buy a new pair of plate shoes and want to go with the GD patent leather. Do they run true to size and are they worth the investment?

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

I have some +POS shoes, and I think that they are made by the same company. I wear a size 13 in Reebok, and a size 14 in Nike, and with my +POS shoes I wear a size 13. Just go to a shoe store, and try on some reebok shoes, order that size. I hope this helps.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

I wear a 10 1/2 in everything. I have a pair of size 11 GD patent leather shoes that a just a hair loose on me(I like wearing thick socks, so they're perfect). I'd says they run true to size. I love 'em.

Kyle
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

No problem with nicks & scratches?
Old Thu Jun 10, 2004, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

None yet. I've got a full season on them with no problems. I take really good care of them though. I wipe them off and bag the after use. Man they're shiney!
Old Thu Jun 10, 2004, 06:31am
Official Forum Member

I've found that they are about a quarter-size small. I wear a 10 & 1/2, and these are just a bit tighter than most others. As to whether they're worth the $ or not, let others answer that. I got mine via the manufacturer's outlet store and paid $40 for them 2 seasons ago. I've worn them for over 250 plate games and they do seem to hold up pretty well.
Old Thu Jun 10, 2004, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
I've found that they are about a quarter-size small. I wear a 10 & 1/2, and these are just a bit tighter than most others. As to whether they're worth the $ or not, let others answer that. I got mine via the manufacturer's outlet store and paid $40 for them 2 seasons ago. I've worn them for over 250 plate games and they do seem to hold up pretty well.
Where is this place? $40 is quite the deal.
Old Thu Jun 10, 2004, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

It's the Cove shoe factory in Martinsburg, Pa. It's in the absolute middle of nowhere, maybe 35 miles southeast of Altoona.
Old Thu Jun 10, 2004, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's the Cove shoe factory in Martinsburg, Pa. It's in the absolute middle of nowhere, maybe 35 miles southeast of Altoona.
Is this the place?

Cove Shoe Company 107 Highland St. Martinsburg, PA 16662 814.793.3786
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A "quarter-size small"? I bet you have a helluva tight zone. I would much rather have a shoe too big than too small. Heck, my feet are not even the same size (most folks aren't). One is usually a half (or quarter?) size larger than the other.
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 03:05am
Official Forum Member

Looks like you found the right place, Garth.
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Does anyone know if they'll ship the item (assuming that I would pay for the shipping)???
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

That's their outlet store - limited hours, no shipping of any kind, and (at least used to be) open only to those who were invited & anyone they chose to bring along.
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's their outlet store - limited hours, no shipping of any kind, and (at least used to be) open only to those who were invited & anyone they chose to bring along.
Let's see. All I have to do is get invited, fly back there, rent a car buy ten pairs of shoes, fly home and I break even.
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

'Fraid so. I know a couple of folks who live semi-near there & are allowed in whenever they want. I've gotten to go a couple of times.