View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 11:08pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorDave
I got my son's NB450's for him. They are very light and have good traction compared to the Gerry Davis high top's. The gloss is no where near as nice on NB. Has anyone tried to Leather Luster the NB450's? If so, how did it go, can you post or forward a link to some pic's?

I did my first games tonight-Plate at HS varsity then bases on JV. Shined up the GD's this afternoon using the Pedag polish from Honig's (other's have it, too) and heel/edge dressing from Kiwi. As soon as I took the field to inspect gear the kids all exclaimed "look at that ump's shoes! I've never seen any shoes so shiny? They look like mirror's!" and other stuff like that. So, I am happy with the GD's for now.

During JV game the winning varsity coach coached first and he started a conversation with me about how much he enjoyed playing in our region (his school is in a neighboring region) because the umpires all looked and acted professionally, unlike the stiffs who just show up for a check in his region. I laughed to myself because I teach at a school in his region but officiate in a different region primarily due to the reason he mentioned. Hard to believe it but only three or four professionals who look and act the part in his entire region.

I see it as a personal choice. Great looks and some comfort but lots of weight versus okay looks, great comfort and light weight. Simply a personal style decision. If they leather luster up nicely, the NB 450s would definitely be the choice due to the weight and comfort. I am reasonably quick so I have no problem covering what I need to in the GD patent hightops. I hope this helps.
To me it's all about comfort. The NB shoes are shiny enough. I don't need to see my reflection in a pair of shoes. It doesn't make me any less of a professional to not have a mirror shine on my shoes.

Last edited by Rich; Mon Mar 26, 2007 at 11:12pm.