The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

plate shoes - patent leather

what is the consensus on patent leather plate shoes? is it too much?

how about recommendations for a good light weight shoe? honig's K90 claim to be 2.5lb for low top and 3lbs for hi-top. sounds much lighter than +POS or gerry davis shoes with the heavy goodyear sole.
thx.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 01:52am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggk
what is the consensus on patent leather plate shoes? is it too much?

how about recommendations for a good light weight shoe? honig's K90 claim to be 2.5lb for low top and 3lbs for hi-top. sounds much lighter than +POS or gerry davis shoes with the heavy goodyear sole.
thx.
My assignor and his son both have the K90 low tops from Honig's, and they like them, and I think they look sharp. They do feel lighter than the +POS and GD shoes.

I don't have patent leathers myself, but I use Shape Up, which lasts and lasts (over a month of games between applications), shines brilliantly, does not build up excessively, and is very low maintenance (just wipe shoes with damp rag then buff with a T-Shirt or polishing cloth).

http://shoe-stuff.com/shapeup.htm

I guess if I get any lazier, I will get the patent leathers!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 05:44am
Official Forum Member

I've used the GD Leather Hi-Tops for years and wouldn't trade them in for anything.

My son uses the GD Patent Leather Hi-Tops and loves them. The finish looks as good today as when he got them 3 years ago!

Be careful of those "lighter" shoes. Protection is the name of the game when you are behind the plate. You may get away with baseball cleats in a LL game but when they are throwing 85+ peas, I'd rather have a trusted shoe on my foot.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 06:36am
Official Forum Member

I have the high top in +pos and GD, I prefer the GD. My podiatrist recommended a new size for my foot due to gout problems and my width, I went from a 10.5D to 11 4E, my foot feels much better. However, the GD shoe does feel better than the +pos. I like the patent leather but I also put the leather luster on all my shoes, low maitenance.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

A buddy of mine showed up not long ago with a pair of those new New Balance plate shoes. He said they were much more comfortable than +POS low tops he had been wearing.
A couple of days later, I was at a D-I college game, and the blue behind the dish was also wearing the NB, so the protection must be up to par.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

I have the GD patent leather low tops and love them. I have had them for 3 years and my partner last night asked if I had just bought them. They look brand new everytime you clean them up.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

I also have the GD High Top Patent Leathers. I've had them for three years now. For the most part they still look good, but they are starting to crack and peel a little bit where my toes flex. Once a week I will shine them up with a little Pledge furniture polish. Other than that, I just wipe them down with a damp rag or a sweaty undershirt.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 11:07am
Stop staring at me swan.

i have the GD highs...other than the weight of the shoe, I love them! They look great year after year...ideally, i'd like them to be lighter...but oh well, they're plate shoes, not kicks that I'd run a marathon in. Love the GD's