The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

throat guard discussion

I know, it has kinda been discussed before on the boards over the issue of using a throat protector with and extended frame mask. Has any one have any problems with getting a hit in throat area? I mean, i got my new Wilson UCP and the throar protector with it, it interferes with the padding at the top of the CP. I think i will be ok with out it on the extended frame mask, what do you think?
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

If it interferes with teh chest protector, you're doing something wrong.
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

This kinda like the issue people were having with the WV platinum. It doesnt "interfere" It ends up cuting me off that i cant look down period if i need to. It makes an annoying sound off the chest protector seeing that i have the plates on mine. (Hard shell)
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 10:15pm
In Time Out

i cut the foam thing off my WVP since looking down caused the mask to bump up against it (which some of you may think is "appropriate use and by design", but I just found annoying), and I use a WV mask. There is the slightest possibility that a foul ball can find its way in the space between bottom of the mask and top of the chest protector. And I do mean slightest. But, just in case, I fasten a short plus pos throat protector to the mask, and we're good to go.
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Stop looking down.

Is looking down some bad habit you developed? Its okay if the throat guard touches your shirt/CP. You shouldn't feel any discomfort and it shouldn't re-adjust your mask. I wear my CP as high as possible. I also offer as low a neck profile as possible by raising my shoulders. The bottom of my mask and throat protector sit atop the CP, but it doesn't bother me. I feel SAFE because I believe nothing will get through.

I can't think of any reason to look down while wearing a traditional mask. Practice removing the mask with your left hand and then LOOK down, if absolutely necessary. Why would you wear your mask if you need to look down? I guess I just don't understand what you're looking at. In fact, I think I suffer a phobia about looking down. I have these thoughts that if I look down the baseball might clunk me on top of my head and it may hurt. I think I am actually scared to look down.

Last edited by SAump; Fri Oct 20, 2006 at 11:57pm.
Old Sat Oct 21, 2006, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

I wear a platinum, and have a throat protector. I mount it in the inside lower rung on the mask, as opposed to the protruding one. It works well for my body type (tall and thin). YMMV.

I've been hit several times in the throat guard. Everytime it bounces off the pad at the top of the platinum. For me, it's a perfect match.

If you lean forward in your stance, a throat protector is of little use. I work more upright, so I can take advantage of this little piece of plastic. Cheap insurance.
Old Sat Oct 21, 2006, 06:16am
In Time Out

No doubt that looking down is a rarety. Actually about the only time I can think of doing it is when a batter fouls one straight down into the catcher. Looking down is probably more of a reflex then than any other time.
Old Sat Oct 21, 2006, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
If it interferes with teh chest protector, you're doing something wrong.

Body types differ. My oldest son has the neck of a giraffe. Mine is about two inches long. No matter how much or how little I weigh, I appear to have hardly any neck at all.

When I tried to wear a dangly thingie, it kept getting caught up on my chest protector whenever I moved my head from one side to another. I stopped wearing it. With my neck, my face mask extension meets my the top of my chest protector.

Back to my son. His neck type created different problems. After an injury in high school wrestling from which he temporarily lost feelings in his arms and legs, we discovered that his neck type was prone to such injuries, and that, in fact, his doctor found that the NFL had commissioned a study regarding such a correlation. My son became part of that study. He, however, continued to wrestle and by the grace of God did not suffer further problems.
Old Sat Oct 21, 2006, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

I have three masks, one has a throat protector on it. This year I got hit in the throat by a pitch that went under the catcher, hit my shin guard and went straight up and hit me in the throat, UNDER my throat protector. I had a sore throat for two weeks. The only other time I have been hit in the throat was while wearing the same mask, several years ago, before I added the throat protector. That one ricocheted off the catchers glove, hit the top of my chest protector and went up under the mask. I had a sore throat for three weeks.

It's not the mask, all three of my masks are the same brand and style, just different colors. Throat protectors are probably personal preference items. I have never been hit in the throat with the other two masks.
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

I do not use a throat guard. I have an extended guard on the mask and I wear a WVP. I did not cut off the "bump" on the WVP as others have either. There is no way that the ball can get to my throat with the way that I set up.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 01:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
I wear an Umpire Style Helmet with that has an extended cage. I also wear a Throat Guard, which I take several hits to each season.

My son wears a Honig's Mask with an extended cage. He did not wear a throat guard, until he got hit in the throat ! He then installed the Throat Guard dad had originally bought him to go with the mask, before his next game.

Use a Throat Guard, no matter what kind of Mask, Helmet, or extended cage you have.

Nick
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

HSM's are not meant to be worn with a throat guard
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan

See, Nick, you've been doing it wrong all this time!
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Body types differ. My oldest son has the neck of a giraffe. Mine is about two inches long.
You sure he's yours?!?!
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 03:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan
I don't care what they are meant to be worn with ! (In your opinion.) A helmet doesn't protect your throat any better than a mask. It protects your head better.

The fact of the matter is...The ball can easily get up under your cage, and severely damage your throat.

I primarily work HS Varsity, and Adult baseball. So the catchers I have in front of me, are not good enough for me to go out there with a big hole in my equipment, that leads to such a vulnerable part of my body.

I also don't do this for a living, and don't get paid 6 figures to risk my neck (literally).

So, I recommend wearing a USH (Umpire Style Helmet), since I don't play hockey (HSM = Hockey Style Mask), AND a Throat Guard.

Nick
Closed Thread