The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 24, 2002, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Question

I graduated up to a new lighter weight mask. My old mask didn't have a permanent throat guard. I needed to attach a detachable one to it. My new mask has an extended throat guard permanently attached to it. It looks like for maximum protection I should still attach the throat guard to it, although it would hang down pretty far. What does everyone else have or do? Without it, it looks in the mirror, that I would be most vunerable with a ball that bounced up to me, if I wasn't wearing the extra protection. Thanks, Dave
Old Sun Feb 24, 2002, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Here's the response I stuck over on McGriff's:

Dave,
My mask also has what they say is an extended throat guard and that's not enough. Get youself a softball, get in your normal plate stance, and have somebody place the ball under the extension. It fits very easily. Get your old detachable guard and attach it to this new mask. The ball will not fit under that.

Old Sun Feb 24, 2002, 11:44pm
Administrator

Like Steve I to use the attachable throat guard and I use the extra long one too. You just cannot have enough protection. Especially if you also do baseball too.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Feb 25, 2002, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

I've been "trusting" my mask's extended throat protector. You guys have made me rethink...

However, if I wear the hanging throat protector, I'll defnintely be the "geek" of our local association, since I won't call behind the plate without mask, chest protector, leg guards that go above the knee, and plate shoes.

Here is my unscientific estimate of the frequency of using this equipment in our local association (JO fastpitch):

mask - 100%
hanging throat protector - 0%
chest protector - 25%
plate shoes - 25%
full leg guards - 35%
partial leg guards (not above the knee) - 35%
soccer-style shin guards- 30%
Old Mon Feb 25, 2002, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Dakota,
I understand - but let one of those fools get hit, just once and things will change. We've got a guy I do college and men's ball with who doesn't wear a cup - gotta be nuts. I get away with some stuff around here cuz I'm kind of looked at as the gear junkie.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2002, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
gotta be nuts
So to speak

I didn't mention the cup 'cause I assumed that was a given, plus I ain't doing no inspection to get a percentage.

I'm reminded of a quote attributed to a veteran MLB umpire (some of you guys probably know the specifics of this). Someone asked him if he wore a cup while calling the bases. He replied that he wouldn't watch a game on TV without wearing his cup.

Old Mon Feb 25, 2002, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
Dakota,
- gotta be nuts.

If that was an unintended pun it was too good to be true!

Dakota....I have to agree with Steve about being a gear junkie. Last year when I was working with rookies on 14U league play, they were looking at me as I was putting on all of my plate gear. One guy asked me if I wear it all everytime I am behind the plate, and I told him that I certainly do. Heck, I paid good money for all of this stuff not to get hurt, it doesn't do me any good if it is sitting in my bag. I also told them about a seasoned umpire who wasn't wearing her chest protector during a 12U game and took a foul back into her shoulder and separated it. Not only was there pain involved, but she was out for the remainder of the season and had mounting medical bills as a result. The way I see it, better safe than sorry.

Scott
Old Tue Feb 26, 2002, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Extended Throat protector

I have had a new lightweight mask for three years with the builtin throat protector and always felt it gave enough protection until last year. In a varsity High School game a pitch hit the dirt three or four feet in front of the plate. It somehow bounced up under my throat protector and hit me in the adam's apple.
I almost had a panic attack as I tried catch my breath after gagging. It happened in the third inning and I could not get comfortable the rest of the game. It threw my whole game off. My partner tried to calm me down but I just could not get settled.
When the game was over, The first thing I did on the way home that Saturday afternoon was to stop and get an extended throat protector to attach to my mask.
I enjoy umpiring and I want to be comfortable back behind the plate. In sports there are always injures. But I plan on limiting the injures to myself by protecting myself.