The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 03, 2006, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Diamond throat guard

Do any of you guys use one of those new diamond throat guards, that go around snap around to the bottom of the frame. I just got a new one for my mask, previously i used a regualar wilson one, but it was annoying how it banged up against the bottom of my mask all the time. this one just snaps around the bar and doesnt bang at all. much less annoying any of you got one?
Old Mon Sep 04, 2006, 07:10am
Official Forum Member

I don't have one, but I've never noticed a problem with the current one (or any prior one) "banging up against the mask."
Old Mon Sep 04, 2006, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

The "extended" part of my mask, Wilson Dynalite, struts out more then other masks, so it ends up hitting the bottom bar with a regular throat guard.
Old Mon Sep 04, 2006, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Hang your throat protector from the bottom, or closest bar, instead of the protruding extention. At least for me, it offers better protection as it covers the gap between my neck and my chest protecter a whole lot better.
Old Mon Sep 04, 2006, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

I wear a hockey style mask over my hat, which I wear backwards, but I have attached a throat protector to the bottom of my mask and it does not bang around. The main thing is to not let it dangle too much. It works very well, especially when I am working little league games.
Old Mon Sep 04, 2006, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Backwards hat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack21
I wear a hockey style mask over my hat, which I wear backwards, but I have attached a throat protector to the bottom of my mask and it does not bang around. The main thing is to not let it dangle too much. It works very well, especially when I am working little league games.
So do you ever take your HSM off during a game? If so, you just wear your hat backwards?
I don't know where you're from, but something like that would get you labeled quickly here...
Old Mon Sep 04, 2006, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He has already been labelled.

A troll

"I never called a balk in my life. I didn't understand the rule" - Ron Luciano
Old Mon Sep 04, 2006, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am not even going to address the "hat on backward" thing - it is ludicrous. But please tell me - why oh why would you wear a "dangler" on a hockey style mask?
Old Mon Sep 04, 2006, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
I am not even going to address the "hat on backward" thing - it is ludicrous. But please tell me - why oh why would you wear a "dangler" on a hockey style mask?
same thing i was gunna ask? No need wear one with an HSM. Also, either dont wear a hat, or atleast wear it forward, like MLB Umpire Bill Welke does with his HSM.
Old Mon Sep 04, 2006, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt
Hang your throat protector from the bottom, or closest bar, instead of the protruding extention. At least for me, it offers better protection as it covers the gap between my neck and my chest protecter a whole lot better.
I had it there first, but it bangs even more the way the mask frame is designed, and its more annoying then ever. Im happy with my new one that just has the wrap around snap thing, doesnt make a sound. The littleest things annoy me sometimes.
Old Mon Sep 04, 2006, 09:20pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan
I had it there first, but it bangs even more the way the mask frame is designed, and its more annoying then ever. Im happy with my new one that just has the wrap around snap thing, doesnt make a sound. The littleest things annoy me sometimes.
I have never worn one of these things with an extended mask. Others I have great respect for have. I assume you feel like you need one of these....
Old Tue Sep 05, 2006, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Good way to avoid that is to link 2 or 3 danglers together, and then tuck the bottom one into your shirt.
Old Tue Sep 05, 2006, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
Good way to avoid that is to link 2 or 3 danglers together, and then tuck the bottom one into your shirt.
How do i take my mask off then??
Old Tue Sep 05, 2006, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How do i take my mask off then??
With your right hand.....of course.
Old Tue Sep 05, 2006, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
same thing i was gunna ask? No need wear one with an HSM.
Hey all,

Here's one reason that I have heard, even thought it has a limited perspective. One umpire that does LL noted that not only for safety reasons would he wear one, but also to show the kids, who MUST wear one, that it's a piece of safety equipment that he doesn't mind wearing, even though he does not have to.

In our LL, we don't have anyone who uses a HSM, but we do have a couple of catchers that do. It's still a good example to set for kids of that age. I have seen kids that have TRIED ( and failed!) to not have a dangling throat guard on a HSM or will tuck the bottom flap on their CP under so it won't get in the way.

LomUmp