The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 08:23am
In Time Out

throat protectors?

do you guys use a plastic throat protector on your mask? I've got the WV platinum (I took off that cumbersome chuck of foam at the neck area). Use a WV single bar mask. Got a foul ball in the "perfect" place, ie: just missed the bottom of the mask and just caught the top of the plastic on the chest protector. I wasn't hurt by it, and I've got the chest protector up pretty high at my throat, but there does seem to be the slight possibility that a foul ball can find its way between bottom of mask and top of protector. So I think I'm going to add the plastic throat extention. Other thought on this? I'm definitely adding one to my other mask, a double-bar PlusPos, since it's built-in extention is shorter.
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

I wear one. I wouldn't umpire without it.
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 08:37am
LeftyRef

Hock, how did you get that hunk of foam off the WV Platinum? I use that same protector, and I HATE HATE HATE how that piece sticks out so far -- for no apparent reason!
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 08:49am
In Time Out

i used a small pair of scissors and just clipped all the stitching (it was a couple of years ago when I bought it). Once I got it off, all it was was a very soft piece of foam which really added no protective value, and just got in the way every time I dipped my head (not when looking at a pitch mind you, but just lowering my head to look down whenever i needed to).
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Interesting question...I don't, but the new Wilsons seem to have the protector stick out more than down.
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

That "cumbersome chuck of foam at the neck area" is what my throat protector jammed into on the two times it's saved my neck. I can't imagine not rolling with one.
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

although I never liked the look of throat protectors, I do wear one.....and after taking a shot that would have hurt me if I had not been wearing one, I won't go without it.....

Stan

Last edited by piaa_ump; Wed Jul 19, 2006 at 10:09am.
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

That "cumbersome chuck of foam at the neck area" is there to close off the throat area. If you adjust the WV Platinum properly, this bumper touches the bottom of the mask when you are set. I've used the WV Platinum for years and taken many hits to that area - nothing got through to my throat.

I see no value in chopping up a protector just to fit a dingle-dangle throat guard. Just my opinion.
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

My dangling throat protector has save my throat many times over. I would never consider going out without one!
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

I use a ProNine chest protector and a Wilson 3019 mask. I wear one. In fact, almost everyone in LL i know uses one. However i did use it for one game without the throat guard. I would strongly suggest everyone wear one. Never know when a ball could get up and in there.
Old Thu Jul 20, 2006, 02:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Exclamation Yes !

I wear one, even though my USM (Umpire Style Helmet) has an extended cage. I get hit in the 'hanging protector' several times per year.

My son used to not wear one, until he took one in the throat. Now, he doesn't care how stupid they look, he's never without it.

Nick
Old Thu Jul 20, 2006, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Nick - does he play LL? they mandate the throat protector. Cal Ripken should do the same, but they are idiots IMO when it comes to saftety (10 year olds with on deck circles?)

One problem I have with my WV Platinum is that, being a small guy, I can't get it to come up so far for that bumper to touch the mask. It sags a bit, and the straps won't get any tighter...
Old Thu Jul 20, 2006, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrego
...my USM (Umpire Style Helmet)...
Must be a typo. You obviously mean your "USH", or Umpire Style Mask.
Old Thu Jul 20, 2006, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Cool I'm Down w/ TP + mask = Safety

I didn't like the dangling throat protector swinging off the bottom bar of my mask. So I attached it to a bar near the chin and held it firmly in place. Now I have been hit at least a 1/2 dozen times to the top of the mask, the center and the bottom and I have three different reactions.

1) the top of the mask - every now and then the top bar of the mask slams into my head and this hurts. Other than visual symmetry and tunneling vision, I can't figure why so much useless padding is inserted beneath the top bar. I wish they would redesign padding between the top bar and one's head. I have learned to make sure to adjust the mask slightly higher to get more use from the top edge of padding than I get from the bar. It hurts a second but I recover quickly. The pain goes with the job.

2) the center of the mask - often the most frightening. Once the initial shock and flinch wear off, I get an internal laugh out of it because I admit I was scared of something that didn't really hurt at all. My mindset begins to question the damage to the integrity of the face cage because what I don't know may hurt me later. I now worry more about the next one, than the last one. The worry goes with the job.

3) the bottom of the mask with added throat protector - often the loudest and a win win. Once I added the throat protector, I worry less about this area of the mask. The hard plastic TP, the metal bars, and the padding combine to provide the best possible protection. It doesn't hurt, I don't flinch, and I know that cheap throat protector adds to the overall strength and integrity of the mask. Let's strap it on.
Old Thu Jul 20, 2006, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
I didn't like the dangling throat protector swinging off the bottom bar of my mask. So I attached it to a bar near the chin and held it firmly in place. Now I have been hit at least a 1/2 dozen times to the top of the mask, the center and the bottom and I have three different reactions.

1) the top of the mask - every now and then the top bar of the mask slams into my head and this hurts. Other than visual symmetry and tunneling vision, I can't figure why so much useless padding is inserted beneath the top bar. I wish they would redesign padding between the top bar and one's head. I have learned to make sure to adjust the mask slightly higher to get more use from the top edge of padding than I get from the bar. It hurts a second but I recover quickly. The pain goes with the job.

2) the center of the mask - often the most frightening. Once the initial shock and flinch wear off, I get an internal laugh out of it because I admit I was scared of something that didn't really hurt at all. My mindset begins to question the damage to the integrity of the face cage because what I don't know may hurt me later. I now worry more about the next one, than the last one. The worry goes with the job.

3) the bottom of the mask with added throat protector - often the loudest and a win win. Once I added the throat protector, I worry less about this area of the mask. The hard plastic TP, the metal bars, and the padding combine to provide the best possible protection. It doesn't hurt, I don't flinch, and I know that cheap throat protector adds to the overall strength and integrity of the mask. Let's strap it on.
Plus the throat guard makes a really loud noise, which creates some "you alright Blue's" which are always fun.
Closed Thread