The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

What would you do in this situation?

11-12 Baseball. 2 man crew. Im BU. R1 & R2 on 2nd & 3rd, so im in C position. winning team is batting. Ground ball is hit, PU is watching third, so im making the call at first. I call "Safe, hes off the bag". I hear the defensive (losing) teams coach say "oh come on", then asks the other coach "did he call him safe?, oh no way!" He then walks out of the dugout and yells to me from beside the dugout "get help on that, blue" I'm thinking no-way. I seen what i saw, the first baseman was clearly off the bag i tell him. He then proceeds to come out of the dugout and go toward my partner. I calmly say "no coach, he's off the bag". He ignores me, and i throw him out. he then says "you have to give me a warning a first." im then like "no, there is no warnings on judgement calls" He then walks out. After the inning was over, PU tells me he saw nothing, he was doing his duties with third. After the game, league pres. tells me "the coach has the right to go to the other umpire" Im like no. What do you know about umpiring??? and that was the end of it. Do you think i was too harsh, or did i do the right thing by sticking to my call? Now ive heard of the offensive coach coming to argue that a runner was safe, but not the defensive coach to argue that the runner is out.

Last edited by LLPA13UmpDan; Mon Oct 16, 2006 at 07:08pm.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan
11-12 Baseball. 2 man crew. Im BU. R1 & R2 on 2nd & 3rd, so im in C position. winning team is batting. Ground ball is hit, PU is watching third, so im making the call at first. I call "Safe, hes off the bag". I hear the defensive (losing) teams coach say "oh come on", then asks the other coach "did he call him safe?, oh no way!" He then walks out of the dugout and yells to me from beside the dugout "get help on that, blue" I'm thinking no-way. I seen what i saw, the first baseman was clearly off the bag i tell him. He then proceeds to come out of the dugout and go toward my partner. I calmly say "no coach, he's off the bag". He ignores me, and i throw him out. he then says "you have to give me a warning a first." im then like "no, there is no warnings on judgement calls" He then walks out. After the inning was over, PU tells me he saw nothing, he was doing his duties with third. After the game, league pres. tells me "the coach has the right to go to the other umpire" Im like no. What do you know about umpiring??? and that was the end of it. Do you think i was too harsh, or did i do the right thing by sticking to my call? Now ive heard of the offensive coach coming to argue that a runner was safe, but not the defensive coach to argue that the runner is out.
Hey, you seen what you saw. It's your call to make and you made it. I'm like impressed that you tossed the guy.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Dan,

You don't state if this is a 60' or 90' field (With LLPA in your name I can't guess). Either way BU should take BOTH calls, with PU watching for pulled foot/swip tag at 1B.

The mechanics vary slightly on 60' vs 90', but the basics are the same - BU has both plays if the ball stays in the infield.

Some would argue that PU should take 3B on the 60' field. If so, why would we put BU in C?
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

11-12 yr old- yeah its on the 60'. PU was assisting, as i had to watch 1st. Noe, he wasnt "covering" third, he was watching R2 & R3 while i watched BR. So of course a play at third or second is my call too. PU helps, i cannot watch R2& R3 while they are behind me, can i? BU is mainly in C for the steal to third. Depends on what happens when the ball is put in play, who covers what. Hope that clears it up.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Did you really toss the coach for ignoring you? The sentence that gives me that impression is "He ignores me, and i throw him out." I couldn't quite tell whether these clauses were supposed to be related.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 08:51pm

Quote:
Smarties Dave & LMan aside, you did a couple of things wrong:

1) You should have told the coach not to go to your partner, not just repeat what you saw on the play. That would be the proper warning. Something like: "Coach, if you continue out to my partner, you're going to be ejected. I had the call all the way and don't have to ask for help."

As it was, the coach still thought he was within his rights to go over your head and ask your partner to overrule you. You should have made it clear that doing such was a no-no. You don't just toss the coach and tell him there are no warnings on judgment calls. He needs to know the real reason why you are about to run him.

2) After any controversy or ejection, you should never get together at that half-inning break to converse with your partner. At the end of that inning, you should have trotted on out to short right-center and stood there.

The league president in this case is wrong, the coach has absolutely no business going to your partner. If you are unsure, it's you that must go to your partner, who in this case was pickin' daisies or something. He should have been watching for a pulled foot or swipe tag. What the hell does he need to watch the baserunners for anyway? Nothing can happen without the baseball, and to use watching the runners as an excuse is total BS. It sounds like your partner is as inexperienced as you are.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 08:53pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Did you really toss the coach for ignoring you? The sentence that gives me that impression is "He ignores me, and i throw him out." I couldn't quite tell whether these clauses were supposed to be related.
He started to go to his partner, then he told him the call again instead of telling him not to go to his partner.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would not toss if the guy wanted to talk with my partner. I would expect partner to throw water on the guy.

League presidents don't always know what they are talking about so I take them with a grain of salt.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

my partner was very experienced actually. When i said "no" i meant no im not going for help, then before he was ejected i told him "no" as in dont go to HP ump, go back to the dugout
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
Quote:
im then like "no, there is no warnings on judgement calls"
i was going to preceed this with "pardon my french" but you didn't give any sort of apology for your english. soooo, WTF are you talking about???

there are certain things that warrant an unwarned ejection. things such as contact with you, blatant profanity directed at you or your partner, and throwing at a kid's head come to mind. your described situation 100% needed a warning as outlined in steve's post. furthermore, by telling him, "there is no warnings on judgement calls," you have now talked yourself into a corner and thrown fuel on the fire.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
Quote:
my partner was very experienced actually. When i said "no" i meant no im not going for help, then before he was ejected i told him "no" as in dont go to HP ump, go back to the dugout
so now you expect him to be a mind reader so he can determine what you are saying no to? see steve's post.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
He then walks out of the dugout and yells to me from beside the dugout "get help on that, blue" I'm thinking no-way. I seen what i saw, the first baseman was clearly off the bag i tell him. He then proceeds to come out of the dugout and go toward my partner.
You should have nipped it in the bud right here.

A coach who starts out of the dugout yelling at you should immediately be told to return to his dugout. If he doesn't understand that proper decorum dictates that he be granted time to come out to discuss a call, he'll soon get the message if you remind him to return to the dugout. If he keeps coming out, dump him.

Tim.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
Dudes,

Y'all can't handle a Little League coach better than this, I feel sorry for you when you have some one with fuzz chewing your butt. So your partner is a little inexperienced. Don't take yourself so serious. Put him back in the dugout and be done with it.

He claims that his partner was very experienced, so what's your point?

Tim.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
So you are going to continue to fall for this??????????

Regards,
Well I just got home from a JV football game where like a thing happened that was well like this thing here where a coach like went off on me and I said there's no foul there and I that's enough talking about it so I could concentrate on the game but then he's all like so what you gonna do if I keep talking and I'm all like ignoring his butt so i don't corner myself and because I can tell it fries his butt when I like do that. Then he keeps like acting big and all for the rest of the game until the fourth quarter when he's goes like "do you even have a flag?" So, I'm all like had enough of this moron, you know, so I say, "sure do, but it's going like to cost you 15 yards to see it" and I'm all throwing my flag in the air and calling unsportsmanlike on this sick dude.

Then I get home and see how everyone's all going on this thread and like it's like deja vu dude.

Last edited by GarthB; Tue Oct 17, 2006 at 12:04am.
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

He then walks out of the dugout and yells to me.......

Gone.

No coach is yelling at me in LL game. None. Zero. Nada.

Next question.