The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Shin Guards needed

I need a pair of shin guards for next season...any suggestions? or if any one has any for sale? I dont like my current ones.
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan
I need a pair of shin guards for next season...any suggestions? or if any one has any for sale? I dont like my current ones.
Perhaps you should say what brand your current ones are, so that others won't waste time recommending the brand you already have and don't like. Maybe you could even describe in more detail what it is you don't like about them.
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

I have a set of +POS ones. Hate them, already beat up, and i dont like that "leathery smooth" black inside padding. doesnt abosorb sweat, instead that get all wet and that. Also hate how it "squeaks" allot when i walk.
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 11:03pm

Then you won't like my Douglas Shin Guards. I love them, squeaks and all.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Sep 23, 2006, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
I love my Honig's K30 - HONIG'S ELITE EXTENDED LEG GUARDS !

I am on my second set, passed my first set down to my son.

I like the extra guard above the knee. I use the Gerry Davis Stance/System, and I can hid my hands behind it. The ball hits the upper guard, and bounces over my hands or around my forearms.

The protection is excellent up through adult baseball, and they also last a long time with regular care.

Nick
Old Sat Sep 23, 2006, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

New Honig's K30 Leg Guards: $69

Wilson Gray Double Knee Leg Guards from Davis: $79

Ignore feature for Little League Dan....priceless.
Old Sat Sep 23, 2006, 02:12am
Official Forum Member

GD Itech Model

I love another hockey hand-me down. I love the thick elastic straps that don't bite into my leg. I love the simple velcro closure better than metal hook closures that may come undone. I guess the rest is comparable to any other model.

Last edited by SAump; Sat Sep 23, 2006 at 02:15am.
Old Sat Sep 23, 2006, 02:22am
Official Forum Member

I don't like my +POS, like my gray Wilson WVs, and love my Coopers with the CoolMax lining. My son really likes his Rawlings Lobsters, but those are tough to find in the umpire model. Pretty neat though.
Old Sat Sep 23, 2006, 06:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have a pair of Douglas for sale that don't squeak. They are in good condition. Email me privately at [email protected] if your interested.

Sal
Old Sat Sep 23, 2006, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have a set of +POS ones. Hate them, already beat up, and i dont like that "leathery smooth" black inside padding. doesnt abosorb sweat, instead that get all wet and that. Also hate how it "squeaks" allot when i walk.
One piece of advice I would offer, irrespective of what brand of shinguards you go to, is to wear Under Armour (or equivalent) tights when you are working games. I wear them whether I'm on the plate or bases (I also wear a cup even when working the bases; hell, I wear a cup if I'm watching a game on TV!)

The Under Armour tights provide excellent ventilation and wicking action of perspiration, and are 1000% more comfortable than shinguards on skin. Every umpire I know who has tried them has NEVER gone back to "going commando," to borrow a phrase.
Old Sat Sep 23, 2006, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Ditto the tights. I used the McDavid, that include a cup-holder. Even on scorching days these things are the best upgrade I've ever made to my gear. No more rash behind my knees!
Old Sat Sep 23, 2006, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

ditto oin the tights, although thicker, you can start by trying a cheep pair of running spandex pants, just to get the idea, it is so much better. Also I got the WV Black shin guards with removable padding - FANTASTIC, Loved them.

"It isn't enough for an umpire merely to know what he's doing. He has to look as though he know what he's doing too." - National League Umpire Larry Goetz

"Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it."
Old Sat Sep 23, 2006, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm21711
New Honig's K30 Leg Guards: $69

Wilson Gray Double Knee Leg Guards from Davis: $79

Ignore feature for Little League Dan....priceless.
that comment was uncalled for and rude.

Also Dave, i have had one person say they use black socks that go over the calf, and they work great. I dont know i about wearing tights, but the long black socks will def. work for me.

Last edited by LLPA13UmpDan; Sat Sep 23, 2006 at 12:09pm.
Old Sat Sep 23, 2006, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Wink On target

Quote:
that comment was uncalled for and rude.

Also Dave, i have had one person say they use black socks that go over the calf, and they work great. I dont know i about wearing tights, but the long black socks will def. work for me.
Find the long Nike or Underarmor socks. They are thin, stretch high and stay inplace after many washings. But then you'll need compression shorts to wear down to knee. Much more comfortable beneath a jock than cotton underwear. Also helps prevent the RASH caused by chafing and the jock straps from climbing up your ***.
Old Sat Sep 23, 2006, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Before spending a lot of money on equipment remember that you’re 15 years old and still have quite a bit of growing to do. Shin guards purchased today may not fit you properly in a year or 2. Ask around, you may have some umpires in your area who have purchased new gear and would be willing to pass along or sell their old stuff at a reasonable price. I’d also point out the you’re not likely to see anyone throwing a fastball with any real heat on it yet. Make your purchases accordingly.