The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 24, 2006, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
Are you saying a ball at the bottom of the strike zone when it crosses the front of the plate and drops below the catcher's knees when he catches it is a ball??? I personally don't care where he catches it - where was the pitch when it enters the strike zone? That's my key. (IMHO)
At the lower levels, I'll call a pitch a strike if it crosses as a strike but is caught like $#!t... but at higher levels (HS and up) if F2 butchers the pitch, I'm not gonna call it. If I do, guarenteed someone is pi$$ed in the dugout, and I will hear about it. Call the zone of least resistance... JMHO

Last edited by ctblu40; Thu Aug 24, 2006 at 09:15pm.
Old Thu Aug 24, 2006, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
That is EXACTLY what we are saying:

Through "usage and tradition" a pitch, even though it passes "through" the strike zone, that bounces before caught by F2 is a BALL . . . now tell me that is wrong, come on tell me!

You claim "NCAA" in your signature . . . don't disappoint me!

Regards,
First of all - I call NCAA Softball. I came into the baseball threads because of the LL stuff. Secondly, I didn't say "BOUNCE", I said caught below the catcher's knees. Thirdly, I assure you that if the ball that passes through the strike zone and bounces will be called a STRIKE.

Are you disappointed?

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Thu Aug 24, 2006, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Nah,

You're a Little League Guy and a freakin' softball umpire and that means . . .

Well I look to "real" umpires for information.

Your "handle" needs work son . . . you are NOT an NCAA umpire.

Regards,
Old Thu Aug 24, 2006, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I assure you that if the ball that passes through the strike zone and bounces will be called a STRIKE.
On what planet?
Old Thu Aug 24, 2006, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

A pitch that bounces into the catcher's mitt is a ball, at all levels. It is amazing to me that we have discussion on the subject.
Old Thu Aug 24, 2006, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Hehehe

Come on DG he works SOFTBALL.

He wouldn't have an idea about real umpiring.

Regards,
Old Thu Aug 24, 2006, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

heh.

Guess it's time for me to go to the Softball section and spew incorrect baseball information over there.

Ridiculous.
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 03:00am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Are you saying a ball at the bottom of the strike zone when it crosses the front of the plate and drops below the catcher's knees when he catches it is a ball??? I personally don't care where he catches it - where was the pitch when it enters the strike zone? That's my key. (IMHO)
How do you call the pitch that crosses the front of the plate and then rises out of the strike zone?

I've read here that that happens every now and then.
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 05:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
First of all - I call NCAA Softball. I came into the baseball threads because of the LL stuff.
Okay, you call NCAA softball and you are interested in LL. And the point is.......... ?

Quote:
Secondly, I didn't say "BOUNCE", I said caught below the catcher's knees.
Not always a good thing to do in baseball. But if you do call it that way, you better call it that way the whole game. Of course, your NCAA Baseball assigner will not be giving you too many more D1 games anymore. Better resolve yourself to being a D3 umpire!

Quote:
Thirdly, I assure you that if the ball that passes through the strike zone and bounces will be called a STRIKE.
Which tells me that you have "tunnel vision" when calling balls and strikes. What that means is once the pitch reaches a certain point in flight, you mentally close down. Oh, you may track the pitch, but registration is over - you've already made up your mind. One more thing, your NCAA Baseball assigner has just demoted you to your local High School Board. You are now qualified to do HS Varsity!

Quote:
Are you disappointed?
With you as an NCAA official, yes! But I understan now why you have an interest in LL - you will soon be calling at that level!
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

WOW, such venom. I never realized how much baseball umpires hate softball. Around here we joke about it, but I think you guys are serious. I pity you. Life is just to short to get personal and attack people about this stuff. You guys know NOTHING about me and base ability on one statement. Get real!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Dear Larry:

If you are a softball umpire we know all we need to know about your ability.

Regards,
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

KISS theory!

Quote:
Your question has been answered; however, I just wanted to add again that the pitch you described should be called a ball everytime.

Now, we see this pitch called a strike very often, (seen it a lot on TV lately); however, you won't see that pitch called a strike in baseball.

As I often describe it, small ball is a different world with umpires who often just want to go home, help out a local league, etc.,

If you make the kids throw strikes, they will learn to throw strikes. If we reward them by calling balls a strike, we have taught them nothing.

Thanks
David
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B
Your question has been answered; however, I just wanted to add again that the pitch you described should be called a ball everytime.

Now, we see this pitch called a strike very often, (seen it a lot on TV lately); however, you won't see that pitch called a strike in baseball.

As I often describe it, small ball is a different world with umpires who often just want to go home, help out a local league, etc.,

If you make the kids throw strikes, they will learn to throw strikes. If we reward them by calling balls a strike, we have taught them nothing.

Thanks
David
David, thanks for your kind response. A breath of fresh air. I don't disagree with you on making them call strikes. Again, it may be a difference in the two sports, but if a ball passes through the strike zone, I'm confused how it can be anything else. Are we basing it on where everyone perceives it to be because of where it's caught? In baseball maybe it should be called a ball everytime. In softball there's no way that's called a ball. With pitching from 43' and the spin and speed of a change-up in softball, it can very easily hit the strike zone and drop to the catcher's feet. If I call that a ball in a college game I assure you I'd be back in HS in no time. I guess it's the difference between two sports.

My mistake was comparing two different sports. I realize that most baseball and softball umpires ride each other about their respective sports but some of these people take it to another level. Some good natured ribbing can be fun - but my gosh, some of you hate me because I umpire softball. Get a life! I don't think you are a horrible person because you umpire baseball nor do I think you are a horrible umpire because some of you are an a$$. Shoot, I don't even think you are horrible because you call the pitch in question a ball. I was just trying to explain why I think it's a strike - in my sport.

Sorry to have offended some of you. David, again, thanks for at least being civil.

Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Get ready...

It sound like to me that you guys who are afraid to say "strike" to a pitch that passes through the strike zone don't have the nad's to stand behind the plate! It's a frickin' strike if the pitch passes through the rule book strike zone for God's sake! If you're calling balls and strikes just to keep out of a
confrontation with the coaches, YOU should be doing 10 & under ball! I've been doing this for a mere 15-years and not once have I called a pitch that goes through the strike zone, then short hops the cather a ball! I never have and I never will! Now, some of you will say, well you'll never advance in this business. Look, if comprimising the rules of the game are what I need to advance, what's that say for you guys who do comprimise the game? Pretty darn bad if you ask me! The umpires job is to make sure the game is played fairly by both teams. That's it! Don't make up your own rules and call the game the way the rule book says to! OK guys, lock and load! I've got the target taped to my back! Go ahead, aim and fire!
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
Guess it's time for me to go to the Softball section and spew incorrect baseball information over there.
No need, LMan - plenty of folks over there doing that already.