The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Regarding the Catcher...

4.03 deals with the catcher's position in the catchers box during an intentional walk.

I don't see any other rule stating where a catcher must be during a non-intentional walk scenario. Are there any rules that I'm missing?
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

This is another of those there-but-not-quite-there rules. In my opinion the fact that 1.04 OBR calls for a catcher's box suggests that's where he goes.
A re-write of the rule books at all levels (EXCEPT FED - stop already you guys!) might be in order.
On that point, though, when was the last time a coach actually stayed within the coach's box?
Old Wed Aug 30, 2006, 03:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Two years ago, at one of our HS Association meetings, a coach came in, stood up in front of us, and complained for 15 min. about how we let the catchers on opposing teams set up way outside, and then call the Outside Corner Strike.

It was quite embarrassing, watching this 40+ year coaching veteran whining about it.

Bottom line;

In theory, the Catcher needs to have both feet in the Catcher's Box, until the Pitcher starts their motion. Then, they can move to the Dugout, for all I care. Many Catchers will start with one foot just outside the (usually invisible) line, I don't worry about it. Some Catchers will try to push it a little too much, and I just quietly reel them back in between pitches. Remember, you want the Catcher to make those fringe pitches look like Strikes.

If all this make you uncomfortable, just kick out the lines before the game starts. Then, it's your judgment, and if anybody give you flack, you can restrict or toss them. Like it or not, the Catcher is somewhat of a partner to you. Work together, and your games will go a lot smoother.

Nick