The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 03:43pm

Teaching the strike zone

I've read with interest the recent threads bashing the LLWS umpires -- particularly their strike zone. And I don't disagree with the general view that they're calling big and, worse, inconsistent zones. The bottom of the zone is a disaster, and the low outside corner is a mess. The top of the zone can be anywhere from belt to armpits. And this from the same ump, same batter, from pitch to pitch.

Rather than add to the bashing, though, I'd like to raise an issue that I bring up with my league and district peers and get consistently jeered. We all (I suspect) work with umpires who can't call a decent zone. The worst problems are at the bottom of the zone (IMHO). I've worked the rails in games where I stand there and watch "strikes" called on balls coming in mid-shin, and sometimes lower. I'm not talking about big breaking balls, either. These are fastballs kissing the dirt under the catcher's glove. I'm sure you see this yourself. The manager is in the coache's box at third just tearing his hair. These balls are unhittable (Ichiro can golf these low ones, but not 12-year-olds), and, frankly, I don't blame the coaches for complaining.

So here's the problem: Every time I bring up the issue of "teaching" the zone, I hear nothing but complaints. We spend hours at clinics going over mechanics and rotations, but when it comes to this most central part of the game (and a part defined by rule, no less), we hear things like "ah, your zone is your zone", and "just stay consistent and you'll be fine", and the all-time lame-brainer: "strikes are good".

Why don't we teach calling balls and strikes with the same rigor that we teach rotations? Or maybe you do? That's why the long post, because I'd like to hear from those of you who do provide (or have taken) clinics in calling the ball. How do you do it? How do you approach an otherwise dedicated and hard-working umpire and tell him his zone needs work -- and THEN provide a means for him to work on it?

I'll be interested in your views on this. I would very much like to begin a course of clinics in my leage and district, but it would be great to learn from experience first. Or do most of you go with the conventional wisdom that a zone is a zone so shut up and swing. I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts.
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Teaching the zone

I firmly believe that you can and should teach it with the same rigor. Two basic points:

1. The key to a good (consistent) zone is a still head- still before (and therefore, long before) the pitcher releases the ball.

2. Go to camp. Have somebody critique your head, your feet, your timing, your eyes and your mechanics. Get yourself on tape and review the tape periodically.

You can't solve the problems of the LLWS blues, but if you belong to an association, you can make plate training a priority.

Strikes and outs!
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickG
So here's the problem: Every time I bring up the issue of "teaching" the zone, I hear nothing but complaints. We spend hours at clinics going over mechanics and rotations, but when it comes to this most central part of the game (and a part defined by rule, no less), we hear things like "ah, your zone is your zone", and "just stay consistent and you'll be fine", and the all-time lame-brainer: "strikes are good".

Why don't we teach calling balls and strikes with the same rigor that we teach rotations? Or maybe you do? That's why the long post, because I'd like to hear from those of you who do provide (or have taken) clinics in calling the ball. How do you do it? How do you approach an otherwise dedicated and hard-working umpire and tell him his zone needs work -- and THEN provide a means for him to work on it?

I'll be interested in your views on this. I would very much like to begin a course of clinics in my leage and district, but it would be great to learn from experience first. Or do most of you go with the conventional wisdom that a zone is a zone so shut up and swing. I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts.
You siad it earlier, "your zone is your zone".

However, to answer your question on teaching a zone, teach the benchmarks and hallmarks of calling the pitch. Track the ball all the way from the beginning of the pitchers motion all the way to the glove. Pause and read where the pitch was, then call the pitch.

There will be some who disagree with the following, however, this is how I have constructed, reconstructed, and modified my zone. I tend to use some easily recognized landmarks, and I rely on the catcher to make my job easier. This way if anyone complains, they can ask the catcher. Most catchers recognize my zone as fair, consistent, and neither a hitters or pitchers zone.

a) Call the zone of least resistance, use the catcher to help you decide the pitch. A pitch that bouces is virtually (99% of the time) a ball - exception is the big 12/6 curve that mirrors a slowpitch softball pitch.

b) The low end - hollow below the knees or at the knees. Use the catchers knees for a reference. Usually, in the squat, the catchers knees are between 2 and 4 inches below the batters knees. By using this reference point, if the catcher catches the ball at or above his knees, it's probably a strike assuming it between the inside and outside of your zone, otherwise if it's below - ball it. The obvious exception is the looping 12/6 curve or the sinking changeup that is gloved below his knees, but doesn't bounce into the glove.

c) The inside corner, if your in the slot properly, your nose should be an inch or two inside of plate. A ball caught that splits your nose is probably a strike if its between the top, bottom and outside corner, if its inside of your nose (batters side), ball it it's too far inside.

d) The upper end, use the batters elbows (preferable the front because it's infront of the batters body) or slightly below depending upon the level of ball (higher levels, you drop more below the letters, almost to between the elbows and the belly button). This should also be about where your head should be.

e) The outside corner, If you use the inch or two methodogy on the inside corner, mirror it on the outside corner. This is pure judgement here, but you can use the catcher again, if he reaches out for it and you see or smell the armpit, ball it, it's too far out.

f) Slow down, see the pitch, watch the catch, see if you can't read the mfg label on the glove every pitch, then make your call.

I hope this helps.
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Calling balls and strikes will either make or break an umpire. I think it was Ron Luciano (sp) who said, “An umpire’s heaven is working third base. Home is where the heartache is.” Calling a good consistent zone is mandatory if an umpire is ever going to progress.

Most of the problems of having trouble with the low end of the zone come from setting up too low. Many people think that getting low helps them see the low pitch better. This is just not true. Setting up a little higher help you see the low pitches for what they really are.

As far as consistency, timing, timing timing. Many umpires who struggle with calling a consistent zone do so because they are too fast. Slow down, let the pitch hit the glove, and then decide. Another cause of inconsistency is ‘tunnel vision’. Some umpires don’t follow the pitch all the way through the zone and into the glove. The last good look they give some pitches (especially good tight breaking balls) is about 3-4 feet in front of the plate.

IMO, there is no substitute for seeing pitches. My association requires umpires to find a scrimmage or pre-season practice, and look at pitches. This helps shake off the rust and re-acquire good timing. We distribute a form letter for the umpires to take to the coach for explanation as to why umpires are contacting him. Most are more than willing to help out.

Now for the part of this post that I will be called out for. I call what I like to call “the strike zone of least resistance.” By that I mean I call the expected zone. If a catcher is set up 6” outside, and the pitch is belt high over the inside corner, I call it a ball. Why? Because it looks like a ball to everyone in the park. If the next pitch hits the catcher’s target, but he’s 3” outside, I call strike. Same reason, it looks like a strike to everyone in the park.

The previous statements are MY OPOINION ONLY.

Good Luck with your training course.
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

I was confronted with a room full of "My zone is my zone" guys one year as well, and I'd seen these guys do exactly as you say. We discussed at a preseason clinic once, and I decided to film each umpire once during a scrimmage. Then we ALL watched all the films before the season started. You'd be surprised at the eyes that were opened.

It was a nice training tool, as guys could see themselves moving their bodies to track a pitch, call a pitch too early, and yes ... call that ankle strike (and sometimes oversell that ankle strike three).

I think ALL of our zones (self included) improved that year, and we now do it every year. We watched the first year one (5 years ago) recently and all got a good laugh from it. It's amazing to see the difference now.
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
I was confronted with a room full of "My zone is my zone" guys one year as well, and I'd seen these guys do exactly as you say. We discussed at a preseason clinic once, and I decided to film each umpire once during a scrimmage. Then we ALL watched all the films before the season started. You'd be surprised at the eyes that were opened.

It was a nice training tool, as guys could see themselves moving their bodies to track a pitch, call a pitch too early, and yes ... call that ankle strike (and sometimes oversell that ankle strike three).

I think ALL of our zones (self included) improved that year, and we now do it every year. We watched the first year one (5 years ago) recently and all got a good laugh from it. It's amazing to see the difference now.
This is a great idea and I am going to suggest it to my fellow Umpire Development Committee members at our next meeting.
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 04:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder

Good idea, and good advice. Yes, the problem is TEACHING the zone. It's extremely odd to me that this is the one area of umpiring where everyone is given the guidlines (many repeated in the posts above), but then nevery really TAUGHT.

Using video is a really good idea. Another idea is to set up a session with pitchers and catchers and stand-in "hitter", then position umps at various positions around the plate, then let the one behind the plate call balls and strikes, with those in various positions also calling on the planes -- that is, those on the side calling high/low, and those in front/behind calling in/out. It would be interesting to see how much agreement there was with respective views. The "plate ump" calls 20 or so pitches, adjusting against the group consensus. Then everyone rotates. Just a thought -- ANY thought -- to provide more tools.

Thanks for the inputs ...
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Nick:

I am not sure you can teach an art.

Balls and strikes is a fine line between science and art and I lean towards art in the equation.

When Doug Harvey was asked: "What's your strike zone?"

His answer was: "If I like it, it is a strike!"

Some posters here take umbrage at that type answer.

In teaching a strike zone you can only give guidelines. We know there is a book strike zone -- some here will tell you that is what you call (even a curve ball that passes through the strike zone and bounces before a catcher can catch it) PERIOD!

Others know that a strike zone resembles an egg. There are holes in a zone that an experienced umpire working upper level baseball don't call.

We all know that umpires FAIL because of poor base work . . . we also know you make your name and career through your plate work.

Nick when I started umpiring if an umpire missed 10 pitches in a game he was considered REALLY good. Now if a miss ONE PITCH at a crucile time I am considered a Smitty!

Another good way to continue to learn the strike zone is to play a game we play in my area called "Up and Down". This is a game played with your base umpire(s). At then end of the game they tell you how many pitches they thought you called Strikes that appeared to be balls (UPS) and how many pitches you called balls that appear to them to be strikes (DOWNS). This system really works to make you think through what really hapopened during your game.

And as I always intone: Nothing does more for learning than to keep a journal of EVERY GAME you umpire and making a critical part of that journal a fair evaluation of your balls and strikes for a plate game of that day.

Last edited by Tim C; Tue Aug 22, 2006 at 05:37pm.
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Tee that calling strikes is an art. And like most other artistic endeavors, one learns the mechanics of the art, then the creativeness, or the "art=part" that comes from within, has an avenue to express itself.

So it goes with calling balls and strikes. Teach the mechanics. Then re-teach the mechanics.

Everyone thinks they know the mechanics, but they don't. They may have forgotten. They may have never learned. They may have learned and forgot to use them.

Mechanics.

I've done this for most of the time since 1972. I attended clinics or camps with Doug Harvey in the 70's, top D-1 clinicans and Gerry Davis in the 90's and Jim Evans in the 2000's. Until attending a Desert Classic, I thought I was calling a great strike zone. I had listened and done what I was told.

At Evans, I was amazed at what I had forgot and what I never really did.

The season after that camp I heard comments like: "That was most consistent plate we've seen all year" and "Jesus, Garth, you've become one of the best plate guys we have."

Now, at first I thought, "Hell, was I that bad before?" And as one of our proschool grads told me, no, not bad before, just a hell of lot better now, consistently."

Mechanics allow umpires to do their jobs. Excellent, consistent mechanics are required to do excellent, consistent work.

Will excellent mechanics make everyone better? Yes.
Will they make everyone excellent? No.

But even a great creative sculptor can't create squat without knowing how to use his tools.

Mechanics are our tools.
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

I am all for locking in with a consistent strike zone, but how do you guys handle it when you are bouncing among age groups? I did everything from high school ball down to low division 12U this past summer and if I called a high school strike on the young guys, we'd set a record for walks!

In fact, I had one triple-header day where I had the plate for a high school division first, then switched to the bases, then finished up with a plate at a low 13U game and I have to tell you, it took me a couple of innings to adjust my zone back out for the younger guys.

Any secrets one can share to help me when that happens again (and it will, the local league supers know that I love doing the games and will fill in at whatever level they need!)?
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Strikes are good.
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

You're never too old to learn!

I've been doing this for 15-years and after a game I was discussing strikes and balls with an ump who has been doing it a lot longer than me. At one point I ask him if my high strike call was too high. His advice on the high strike, if the pitch is caught above the cathers head, it's more likely to be a ball, rather than a strike. One at catchers head height, 50% right, 50% wrong! I've also had problems with calling the low strike and with the information about the cathers knees being a measuring stick, that's going to help me! Guy, keep up the discussions and suggestions...in most cases it makes us all better!

George
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz
I am all for locking in with a consistent strike zone, but how do you guys handle it when you are bouncing among age groups? I did everything from high school ball down to low division 12U this past summer and if I called a high school strike on the young guys, we'd set a record for walks!

In fact, I had one triple-header day where I had the plate for a high school division first, then switched to the bases, then finished up with a plate at a low 13U game and I have to tell you, it took me a couple of innings to adjust my zone back out for the younger guys.

Any secrets one can share to help me when that happens again (and it will, the local league supers know that I love doing the games and will fill in at whatever level they need!)?
I think the best thing to do is to start with your HS zone then see what the kids can do. If necessary, expand it a bit. When I work HS and LL, the top and bottom of my zone is pretty much the same, about 4" above the belt, the hollow beneath the knee.
If you need to expand in and out for the kiddies, that's not too hard to do. You may have some strikes in the 3rd that were balls in the 1st, but there are only 2 people in the park who won't like that... the batter and the batter's mother.
Around here, the new guys do most of the LL stuff. They tent to not to call as many strikes. It's so unusual for an umpire to actually call strikes on the little guys that by the second at bat they're swinging anyway.
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Plate Game

Hey guys. I am here in Williamsport. I was taken out of the LLWS rotation due to illness which landed me in the Hospital up here from Friday - Monday. I received a visit from Mr. Keener who personally invited me back to umpire next year.

I have been reading all the comments and I think for the most part they are fair. While most everyone is doing their best, some simply were more ready then others.

As for the strike zone, I know my zone improved tremendously after having an experienced umpire critique my game. His #1 comment was my timing. He told me I needed to do a better job of tracking the pitch to the mitt with my eyes (not my head). Sounds simple, but to a lessor experienced umpire, it made my game better and more enjoyable. After doing a dozen or so games I realized I was missing the most important part of the pitch. The finish!!!
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

"a) Call the zone of least resistance, use the catcher to help you decide the pitch. A pitch that bouces is virtually (99% of the time) a ball - exception is the big 12/6 curve that mirrors a slowpitch softball pitch."

Sorry, if it bounces, I don't care if is Barry Zito. Ball. 100%.

As for teaching the zone...I would say the resistence is from stubborness. Umpires as a group are perhaps the most resistent to criticism as any group. People need to be more open minded to get past the, "strikes are good" and "my zone is my zone" mentality.

The only way you can learn is from experience. Call some strikes, gauge the response. Nobody chirps? Try going further. Too far? Too much yelling? Reign it in a bit. Challenge yourself. Even the best miss pitches. The best advice I can give is twofold:

1) Lock your head position, track the ball all the way to the mitt.

2) Good timing means DECIDING late(r), not just pausing more.