The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 31, 2001, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

I am umpiring 9-10 year olds, and am curious how liberal I should be with regard to the strike zone. I did a game last night; and was not giving the outside off the corner pitch to the pitcher. I am wondering if I should have; many of those pitches were close to, but not on the corner.
Also, what is a good way to not call the high pitch as a strike? I am seeing a lot of small (really small!) players and it is hard to judge sometimes. Thanks in advance!
Old Thu May 31, 2001, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

At that age, give them 6 inches off the plate outside and 3 inches off of the plate inside. Call them up to their chin as well.

Eric Gregg of MLB baseball called 6 to 8 inch outside pitches strikes in a playoff game before he was fired (resigned, or whatever you call it). The same thing happened in the NCAA World Series one year. If it was good enough for the the big guys, its good enough for 9-10 year olds.

Shortly after Gregg called that game, I was doing a game and calling ridiclously outside pitches - strikes. One batter complained and I said "Don't you want to learn how to play in the National League."

At every level, the outside pitch is given to the pitcher, especially if the catcher makes it look good. It varies anywhere from one to six inches. Go for it.

Peter
Old Thu May 31, 2001, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

AS big as I can get away with!!! At all levels! LOL

C, doing Youth ball is rough. I don't do it very often but here's what I would recommend:

Call the top of your zone below the Batter's elbow when he's ready to hit.

Try not to call the "LL knee" at the bottom of your zone, you know, where the catcher is lying down to catch it. Getting the knee pitch right will show you're ready to move up....

Get as much of the outside as you can. I try, repeat TRY, not to call it if the catcher flops over or slides really bad, but at a minimum, if any part of his mitt/glove is touching the plate, then it's gonna be a strike with me.

Hope this helps, hope you move up soon....LOL

Will
Old Thu May 31, 2001, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Don't widen your zone to where the batters can't reach the ball.

Bob
Old Thu May 31, 2001, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by C rabby
many of those pitches were close to, but not on the corner.
One thing I see with younger umpires is that they don't really have a good idea of where the corner is. SInce they are looking at the plate at an angle, a pitch that is over the plate looks on the ocrner; a pitch that is on the corner looks outside.

A couple of ways to deal with this:

(a) get in your stance and have someone toss a ball near the corner. You call it; then your partner tells you where it "really" was.

(b) when you brush the plate, put you shoe just off the side of the plate. Call a strike if the ball is over your shoe.

(c) watch the batter take a practice swing. Note where the end of the bat appears to be. Call a strike if the ball passes within that zone. (Since the batter usually takes the practice swing as if the ball were over the heart of the plate, and will (or should) lean to get an outside pitch, he'll be able to hit the pitch that was at the end of the bat during the practice swing.)
Old Thu May 31, 2001, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all your helpful input. I am doing this as a volunteer thing; my son plays in the league, and they typically recruit those of us foolish enough to agree to umpire games. Just kidding; I actually enjoy it. Thanks again!
Old Thu May 31, 2001, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

I like the new high strike zone for varsity HS. I was not calling them at first but then coaches would say to me: " Hey, Greg what about the new high strike zone." They seem to like the higher strike zone right below the arm pits at about the sternum. I see kids hit high pitches out of the park all the time. We shouldn't be scared to call the high pitch. It is good for baseball at all levels.

Greg
Old Fri Jun 01, 2001, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gre144
I like the new high strike zone for varsity HS. I was not calling them at first but then coaches would say to me: " Hey, Greg what about the new high strike zone." They seem to like the higher strike zone right below the arm pits at about the sternum. I see kids hit high pitches out of the park all the time. We shouldn't be scared to call the high pitch. It is good for baseball at all levels.

Greg
what "new high strike zone" for varsity HS? The strike zone was last changed in 1998.
Old Fri Jun 01, 2001, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by C rabby
I am umpiring 9-10 year olds, and am curious how liberal I should be with regard to the strike zone. I did a game last night; and was not giving the outside off the corner pitch to the pitcher. I am wondering if I should have; many of those pitches were close to, but not on the corner.
Also, what is a good way to not call the high pitch as a strike? I am seeing a lot of small (really small!) players and it is hard to judge sometimes. Thanks in advance!

Before I comment on your thread, I have a recommendation for you. Right now you are umpiring the "rugrats" but if you would like to advance, etc., attend a clinic and there you will get plenty of practice on mechanics. There are hours spent just on calling outs / safes and many more concerning the strike zone.

Also, as fast as rules and rule interpretations are changing, so are the way mechanics are being taught. Before, you get any bias from someone, attend a clinic and learn for yourself as to what works best for you.

There are basically 3 stances behind the plate - The Box, scizzors and getting down on 1 knee. All are acceptable and the clinicians will go over all of these with you, so you can choose the one you feel most comfortable with and also gives you a good look at the corners.

Umpiring 9/10's is not easy, I suggest you form a box around home plate as to where your strike zone is. Whenever the ball hits that box area - it's a strike. By doing this, it takes away the guesswork.

As Peter recommends, have a wide strike zone, if your uncomfortable with 6 inches off the plate, then move towards 4 which is not unreasonable.

The bottom line in these youth levels is to get the kids to swing the bats, otherwise you will still be playing. BTW, on average how long have your games been running?

No-one likes walk-a-thons, also the fielders especially young ones lose interest real fast when they do not see any action come ther way.

Also, when players know that you do not have a postage for a zone they are more apt to swing.

Good Luck!

Pete Booth
Old Fri Jun 01, 2001, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, Pete, for some helpful pointers. Our games (six innings) generally run about two hours. I will apply some of your advise and let you know how I do. Thanks again!
Old Fri Jun 01, 2001, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

The littler the kids, the bigger the zone. They don't want to hit in the first place. Most of them are scared. So make them swing by making it wide for them.

As the age goes up, the more aggressive (hopefully) and then bring it in.

I believe that you can be very generous with the width of the zone, but not the heighth.

Max
Old Fri Jun 01, 2001, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy You don't need an analysis 9 and 10?

Puuleeze, tell me that you were
JOKING
when you said you didn't give the pitchers strikes OFF the plate?

At that level of kid pitch, you don't need all the analysis. The kids CAN hit it, Grandma WANTS to see them hit it, the fields WANT the ball hit, the batter WANTS to run around the bases... so get them swinging... EARLY.

The best litmus test is... "Is this pitch hittable?" (Speed dependant). It sounds like these players start up looking at pitches. (too bad).. so start EARLY call strikes EARLY....trust me, they will start to swing.

I'm not talking about unhittable pitches or in the eyes.. BUT.. (9 and 10 fercryinoutloud)... armpits to low knees to black on inside... a couple ball widths outside ..is HITTABLE, so why not let them hit?
Old Fri Jun 01, 2001, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

what "new high strike zone" for varsity HS? The strike zone was last changed in 1998. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, since the major leagues began to enforce the high strike zone, coaches in Colorado seem to accept a strike when it is in the high part of the strike zone. The strike zone is not new in HS but it was an unspoken rule that you never call the high strike. But since the major leagues are calling it, HS coaches are accepting the high strike

Greg

[Edited by Gre144 on Jun 2nd, 2001 at 09:19 AM]
Old Fri Jun 01, 2001, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Whowefoolin
The littler the kids, the bigger the zone. They don't want to hit in the first place. Most of them are scared. So make them swing by making it wide for them.

As the age goes up, the more aggressive (hopefully) and then bring it in.

I believe that you can be very generous with the width of the zone, but not the heighth.

Max
I respectfully disagree. I see guys hit it out of the park when the ball is a at the top part of his shoulders. I think a strike should be called at the lower part of the arm pits since this is a very hitable pitch. Besides the strike zone is halfway between the wasteline and the shoulders. I personally think that many veteran umpires should open up the strike zone.

Greg
Old Sat Jun 02, 2001, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

"Well, since the major leagues went to the new high strike zone"

This NEW strike zone has been around before I was born (1932). MLB is just making their umps enforce it.

bob