The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 01:09am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLawyer
I think the AMLU got a bloody nose. They deserve a better deal, but it will be interesting to watch this board develop . . . Those who cracked on them for making their own choice to strike will be tempted to crack on them for choosing to accept the contract. No win. What motivates those folks? Jealousy? Hatred? Who knows? Who cares?

A buddy at Triple A expressed this sentiment- "Dude, I'm just happy to be getting back to work."

Now we'll have to find something else to fight about on this board. Don't worry, if there isn't something real soon, there are a few who will invent something.

Strikes and outs!
I don't remember too many people cracking on them for striking. I do recall some of us cracking on them for abandoning their jobs and getting upset that some folks stepped in and did the jobs they refused to do.

Everybody in the free world knows that MiLB umpires are underpaid, overworked, and underappreciated. That was not the point the anti-AMLU crowd was making. All the "scab" this and "scab" that got old real quick, and many of us felt that there was no reason for this vitriol.

Everyone knew that the replacement umpires were not as good of quality as the pros. Duh!!! Most of them did do the best they could though, and the games did need umpires, and were going to be played, regardless of any umpire work-stoppage.

I am glad the pro guys are coming back. I would have loved to see them get better treatment from MiLB. They always have deserved more money and benefits, and it's a shame they didn't get as much as they should have.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 01:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
Umpire Equipment Lot MLB-Minor-Semi Pro LOW RESERVE !!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Umpire-Equipment...QQcmdZViewItem

Someone is way ahead of you.
Damn!! Been out of the game for one day and people already want to buy my plate gear??

Last edited by Clint Lawson; Wed May 31, 2006 at 02:01am.
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 07:44am
Get away from me, Steve.

As a good buddy said yesterday, the last proposal took them from slave wages to slave wages plus a hot dog. The ratified proposal is slave wages plus a double cheeseburger.

It sounds like some people won't be going back.
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Question Hey Amlu.....held Out For A "great Deal"...????

Bottm Line Here The Ones That Voted For The Strike To End Had Enough Sense To See The Writing On The Wall.....

End The Strike Or Find Another Job......

The Amlu Wants You To Believe That The Integrity Of The Game Was At Stake And That The So Call Replacement Umpires Couldn't Handle The Job On The Field. Well That Is Pure.....horse.....sh..

Yes There Was A Few Problems But At Every Level Of Baseball Every Year There Are Problems From The Major Leagues To Little League....

They Held Out For Almost Half Of Their Season And For What....that Almighty Extra Dollar Of Meal Money.....

Hey Guys.....great Deal......

It Will Be Fun To See How Many Of The 220 Return To Work For All That Money And Rumor Has It That The Fearless Leader.... A Roberts Himself "will Not" Be Returning To Work.......

I Can Wait To See Perfection Return To Minor League Baseball.....
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLawyer

Now we'll have to find something else to fight about on this board. Don't worry, if there isn't something real soon, there are a few who will invent something.

Strikes and outs!
Just make a post about how you think a base ump should use a clicker.
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 11:35am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUMP
Bottm Line Here The Ones That Voted For The Strike To End Had Enough Sense To See The Writing On The Wall.....

End The Strike Or Find Another Job......

The Amlu Wants You To Believe That The Integrity Of The Game Was At Stake And That The So Call Replacement Umpires Couldn't Handle The Job On The Field. Well That Is Pure.....horse.....sh..

Yes There Was A Few Problems But At Every Level Of Baseball Every Year There Are Problems From The Major Leagues To Little League....

They Held Out For Almost Half Of Their Season And For What....that Almighty Extra Dollar Of Meal Money.....

Hey Guys.....great Deal......

It Will Be Fun To See How Many Of The 220 Return To Work For All That Money And Rumor Has It That The Fearless Leader.... A Roberts Himself "will Not" Be Returning To Work.......

I Can Wait To See Perfection Return To Minor League Baseball.....
Oh, I get it now. This is what BlueLawyer meant by the petty, jealous, hateful people cracking on the AMLU members.

You know something? It is very annoying to read capitalization of every word in sentences.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsf23
Just make a post about how you think a base ump should use a clicker.

Its not called a 'clicker,' you moron!

I keed, I keed, lighten up, Francis
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrumpire11
there are other incentives that were not included in the AP release.
What, pray tell, are the other incentive?
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
Its not called a 'clicker,' you moron!

I keed, I keed, lighten up, Francis

F-you, LMan, it is too!

Tim.
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

What's in a name

I call mine a "clicker". I'm talking about the little thing with numbers and wheels I keep in my ball bag, not the thing under my cup.

Strikes and outs!
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
F-you, LMan, it is too!

Tim.
*laughs*

poke, poke

Old Wed May 31, 2006, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

SCUMP Quote

Mr. Roberts may indeed be labeled fearless. But the irony is that he is being called out by a guy who won't post his name. Mr. Roberts was at least willing to stand by his decisions. The AMLU members have earned the right to make their choices and accept a contract. You have earned the right to hide in anonymity and be a shallow person. Grow up and move on. They will return to work because they are the best at what they do. They took a stand and it didn't pay off financially. But again, they took the risk and stood up to their employer. Does that make them all fearless? No. But it makes them honorable because they were willing to do so and be held accountable for their actions.
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictArnold
SCUMP Quote

Mr. Roberts may indeed be labeled fearless. But the irony is that he is being called out by a guy who won't post his name. Mr. Roberts was at least willing to stand by his decisions. The AMLU members have earned the right to make their choices and accept a contract. You have earned the right to hide in anonymity and be a shallow person. Grow up and move on. They will return to work because they are the best at what they do. They took a stand and it didn't pay off financially. But again, they took the risk and stood up to their employer. Does that make them all fearless? No. But it makes them honorable because they were willing to do so and be held accountable for their actions.
In my opinon, Mr. Roberts has made many questionable decisions and has exhibited less than competent leadership qualities.

The membership, deserving of everything they were seeking, and new to the whole "union thing", followed his lead. Every umpire I know who is experienced with labor issues agreed that management had the cards and the willingness to wait out the AMLU. Management clearly won this round and has learned enough to give them the edge next time as well.

Management guessed that replacements could be found and that the fans would stick around. They were right.

The AMLU was caught off guard by the number and willingness of replacements, especially those at the D-1 level. Despite being warned, they were also seemingly surprised at management's willingness to accept lesser quality rather than settle. All of this was predictable and predicted.

Roberts and his crony attorney were inept and guessed wrong not only about management, but about their membership as well.

Hopefully, the membership will reflect on this situation and, regardless of who they choose to replace Roberts, will ask tougher questions and demand that all alternatives be explored next time.

It is great to have the MiLB umpires back. I believe that with the right leadership and proper preparation and strategy, they will succeed in the future where they failed this season.

Overall, I think nearly everyone supported the MiLB umpires, but not the AMLU. They are two different entities that even the replacements were able to separate.

Again, just my opinion.

Last edited by GarthB; Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 06:16pm.
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictArnold
But it makes them honorable because they were willing to do so and be held accountable for their actions.
1) AMLU guys say: "gimme more money," they are "honorable".
2) MiLB says: "we wanna keep our money", they are less than "honorable."
3) AMLU guys take amateur assignments even though they said they would not--'tis ok, they are just taking assignments offered by the assignor.
4) Amateur guys take assignments offered in MiLB and they are bottom feeding, scum-sucking, SCABS!
5) AMLU post personally demeaning(some would say threatening) photos and they get a pass by their supporters.

Does anyone see a pattern?

Joe
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Not surprised ...................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peruvian
According to a previous post, 45 (roughly 20%) of the membership did not cast a ballot. This could have been the difference in the vote to ratify. Who wouldn't vote on a decision so important?

If you want to be mad, I guess I'd be mad at those 20%.

Don't lose the love of the game, Clint. Give it a few days.

At our union ratification meeting in April (USW), only 99 out of 145 took the time to vote.

Unions are dying, mostly by their own hand.

Doug
Closed Thread