Thread: it's over
View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictArnold
SCUMP Quote

It Will Be Fun To See How Many Of The 220 Return To Work For All That Money And Rumor Has It That The Fearless Leader.... A Roberts Himself "will Not" Be Returning To Work.......

Mr. Roberts may indeed be labeled fearless. But the irony is that he is being called out by a guy who won't post his name. Mr. Roberts was at least willing to stand by his decisions. The AMLU members have earned the right to make their choices and accept a contract. You have earned the right to hide in anonymity and be a shallow person. Grow up and move on. They will return to work because they are the best at what they do. They took a stand and it didn't pay off financially. But again, they took the risk and stood up to their employer. Does that make them all fearless? No. But it makes them honorable because they were willing to do so and be held accountable for their actions.
In my opinon, Mr. Roberts has made many questionable decisions and has exhibited less than competent leadership qualities.

The membership, deserving of everything they were seeking, and new to the whole "union thing", followed his lead. Every umpire I know who is experienced with labor issues agreed that management had the cards and the willingness to wait out the AMLU. Management clearly won this round and has learned enough to give them the edge next time as well.

Management guessed that replacements could be found and that the fans would stick around. They were right.

The AMLU was caught off guard by the number and willingness of replacements, especially those at the D-1 level. Despite being warned, they were also seemingly surprised at management's willingness to accept lesser quality rather than settle. All of this was predictable and predicted.

Roberts and his crony attorney were inept and guessed wrong not only about management, but about their membership as well.

Hopefully, the membership will reflect on this situation and, regardless of who they choose to replace Roberts, will ask tougher questions and demand that all alternatives be explored next time.

It is great to have the MiLB umpires back. I believe that with the right leadership and proper preparation and strategy, they will succeed in the future where they failed this season.

Overall, I think nearly everyone supported the MiLB umpires, but not the AMLU. They are two different entities that even the replacements were able to separate.

Again, just my opinion.

Last edited by GarthB; Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 06:16pm.