The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

there are other incentives that were not included in the AP release.
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

No mention is made regarding the travel for foriegn umpires that was a point in the beginning. But the settlement apears to be $1/day delta from the initital offer.
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIV2ump
Can you explain? To us country folk it sounds like you're saying that they missed two months of pay to get an extra $30 per month per diem. I'm not real strong at math but it seems like that would take quite a while to make up for the salary they lost by striking.

You can never expect to make up what you have lost in the time you have been out. It rarely, if ever, happens.

They have lost approximately nine weeks salary (depending on level worked). They will never get that back.

Doug
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

You are correct Div2ump

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIV2ump
Can you explain? To us country folk it sounds like you're saying that they missed two months of pay to get an extra $30 per month per diem. I'm not real strong at math but it seems like that would take quite a while to make up for the salary they lost by striking.

The last offer from MILB was for a $2 per day raise in the per diem. This was voted down. The AMLU propsed a $3 per day raise in the per diem and it was accepted. The $100 raise has been there from the beginning. So to answer your question, yes they missed 2 months salary to get an extra $30 per month meal money.
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbide Keyman
You can never expect to make up what you have lost in the time you have been out. It rarely, if ever, happens.

They have lost approximately nine weeks salary (depending on level worked). They will never get that back.

Doug
One of the truisms of most labor breaks in any industry is their is often no winner. Relationships are hurt, trust is lost, judgments leapt too. Over money

Last edited by radwaste50; Tue May 30, 2006 at 02:08pm.
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

What happened was a mix of younger umpires who fear their career was about to end before it started and a mix of older umpires who honestly still believe they have a shot at the big leagues turned into a bunch of wussies...scared scared scared.

I'm ashamed to admit that at one point I called myself a member of the AMLU...
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Has anyone else noticed a few members are conspicuous through their absences.

I can't recall, who was it that wrote, "Take the hundred dollars a month and ask for a small increase in per diem - you'll never get more than a few bucks, not the national average - and forget about having any control over player/coach discipline. Get back on the field before you lose even part of the season. You aren't as important to the game as you suspect and the amateurs will do a better job than you think."

Hmmmmmmmm?
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

As much as it pains me (The stiches are going into my lower lip & tongue as I type) Windy was mostly correct. I think he missed the end date by a bit, but why hold that against him?

The AMLU folks made too many mistakes in this negotiation. MilB made very few - guess who came out ahead?

It's going to be interesting in two years when WUA goes into negotiations with MLB. Union merger anyone?
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 05:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

How was Windy right? There was a contract dispute. They resolved the contract. The issue was never just about money. I never got the impression from those that actually are Minor League Umpires that they expected a huge raise or to get rich while umpiring. Most of what I have read here had little or nothing to do with the issues that were on the table. For the most part all of us were on the sidelines, giving our opinions and hoping for something to happen that would prove us right. As far as I am concerned, nothing was resolved and at the end of the day from what I have read and most Minor League umpires wanted to work. You can blame the leadership or try to say, "They were not as important as you think you were" BS all day long. Mostly what I heard was these guys were going to get fired and the "scabs" would get their job. That did not happen at all.

Peace
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
How was Windy right? There was a contract dispute. They resolved the contract. The issue was never just about money. I never got the impression from those that actually are Minor League Umpires that they expected a huge raise or to get rich while umpiring. Most of what I have read here had little or nothing to do with the issues that were on the table. For the most part all of us were on the sidelines, giving our opinions and hoping for something to happen that would prove us right. As far as I am concerned, nothing was resolved and at the end of the day from what I have read and most Minor League umpires wanted to work. You can blame the leadership or try to say, "They were not as important as you think you were" BS all day long. Mostly what I heard was these guys were going to get fired and the "scabs" would get their job. That did not happen at all.

Peace
J,

Windy was correct on specific points along the way. Give the man his due; he made some correct observations - nothing more, nothing less.

My opinion of many posts & some posters ... well, they can't be printed here.
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 06:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalblue1
J,

Windy was correct on specific points along the way. Give the man his due; he made some correct observations - nothing more, nothing less.

My opinion of many posts & some posters ... well, they can't be printed here.
Give him credit for what? If you want to give some poster credit that you will never meet and he will never give any real information that is what you have the right to do. All we were saying here was opinions. I do not care who was on the money or not on the money. That is not why I shared my opinion on the subject. I never came here trying to predict the future. I came here to stand what I felt and the resolution of this strike in no way changes the way I feel about the sides and the position people take.

Peace
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

It is just a stating point. How long is the life of the contract?

Six years.

Will there be gradual raises?

Not in salary.

What happens further down the road will count more than what happens today.

The only thing happening down the road is another couple of bucks per diem.

A lesson was learned this time around.

We can only hope. If AMLU has new leadership soon, you may be proven right.

Time is on the AMLU's side now.

You gotta be kidding. If anything, management's position is even stronger and the AMLU has proven to be inept.

Last edited by GarthB; Wed May 31, 2006 at 06:24pm.
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

On EBAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Lawson
Thatballzlow,

Your are excatly right and I am also ashamed to be an AMLU member. I don't know that I will ever work another baseball game.

Clint Lawson
Umpire Equipment Lot MLB-Minor-Semi Pro LOW RESERVE !!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Umpire-Equipment...QQcmdZViewItem

Someone is way ahead of you.
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Peruvian Send a message via Yahoo to Peruvian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Lawson
Thatballzlow,

You are excatly right and I am also ashamed to be an AMLU member. I don't know that I will ever work another baseball game.

Clint Lawson
According to a previous post, 45 (roughly 20%) of the membership did not cast a ballot. This could have been the difference in the vote to ratify. Who wouldn't vote on a decision so important?

If you want to be mad, I guess I'd be mad at those 20%.

Don't lose the love of the game, Clint. Give it a few days.
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Raw Deal

I think the AMLU got a bloody nose. They deserve a better deal, but it will be interesting to watch this board develop . . . Those who cracked on them for making their own choice to strike will be tempted to crack on them for choosing to accept the contract. No win. What motivates those folks? Jealousy? Hatred? Who knows? Who cares?

A buddy at Triple A expressed this sentiment- "Dude, I'm just happy to be getting back to work."

Now we'll have to find something else to fight about on this board. Don't worry, if there isn't something real soon, there are a few who will invent something.

Strikes and outs!
Closed Thread