The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 03, 2006, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

4-Man

At the local NCAA DI regional, the crew is not sending someone out on every flyball. It seems that only about 1/2 the time somone goes out. Is this some sort of new mechanic?
Old Sat Jun 03, 2006, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know whether it's "new", but it is the CCA mechanic for 4-man -- only go out on trouble balls. Otherwise, hold yuor hand up (to indicate to the other umpires that they ned not roate) and move toward your assigned base. You are still responsible for the fly ball in your area.
Old Sat Jun 03, 2006, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

I caught on to this in the second inning, but what struck me was that when this happened there were always two umpires watching the catch, and no one had the runner. I also saw 2 balls that were definately trouble where they did not go out. I don't see why the NCAA does not go out. It sets them up for a huge mistake that is easily avoidable.
Old Sun Jun 04, 2006, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

With no one on base, there should be two umpires watching the ball. Someone, though, should have the runner.

If they didn't go out on a trouble ball, that was a mistake or a mis-read.
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Personally, I think the CCA's mechanic here is more confusing than the pro mechanic, specifically MLB, which has either a wing ump or the second base ump go out on every fly ball, can of corn or not.
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
I will say this for a certain D-1 umpire working the Texas-Stanford game, he doesn't know how to call fair/foul very well.

Bases loaded and the Texas batter hits one fair down the third base line and he signals foul. Don't know if he said anything. Three runs score. Umpires get together and decide to let play stand.

Am I missing something, or is a ball that is called foul not subject to be reversed unless it is a dead ball home run situation? Is it different at the NCAA level?
You're missing something.

It is different at the NCAA level. If no one reacted, play on. If someone reacted, don't take away the hit, but try to "get it right."
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

If a ball is inadvertently called foul like in the aforementioned situation, it cannot be reversed into a fair ball hit. There's really not much the umpire can do except to wish he could crawl into a hole and disappear.