The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 29, 2006, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

it's over

heard from a MiLB ump that strike is over. They will be back on the games June 12 at the latest
Old Mon May 29, 2006, 09:23pm

Wow, let me be the first to say:
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon May 29, 2006, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

My relief and joy is tempered by the fact that the AMLU leadership and attorney said it was over the last time, too. Then the ballots were counted.

My understanding is the ballots won't be counted until tomorrow.

I hope you're right.
Old Mon May 29, 2006, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
you're understanding is incorrect. it's over. vote on proposal passed and the contract has been ratified.
Old Mon May 29, 2006, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck
you're understanding is incorrect. it's over. vote on proposal passed and the contract has been ratified.

My mistake would be reading the AMLU notice last week when they said that voting would run until Tuesday.

Congratulations, then. It's wonderful news, indeed.
Old Mon May 29, 2006, 10:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

I just had a friend tell me the strike was over through instant messaging. I am sure he is not telling me this if it was not pretty certain of being true.

Peace
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Nothing about it HERE
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
I'll believe it when the vote from the body of the membership has been tallied.

Tim.
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

That is awesome news...I can't wait to see a perfectly umpired game.
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Deal

What's the deal?
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

votes were tallied last night, 62%yes, 38%no, about 45members did not vote. both lawyers are talking today about getting the umpires back on the field.
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIV2ump
What's the deal?
Minor league umpires end strike By RONALD BLUM, AP Baseball Writer
12 minutes ago

Minor league umpires settled their season-long strike, ratifying a six-year contract Tuesday that calls for a $100 monthly salary increase.

Umps had said their salaries previously averaged $15,000 at Triple-A, $12,000 at Double-A, $10,000 in full-season A-ball and $5,500 in rookie leagues.

As part of the new deal, per diems rise $3 to $28 at Triple-A, $25 at Double-A and $23 at Class A. They will rise gradually to $40 at Triple-A in 2011, $35 at Double-A and $30 at Class A.

Umpires will return to work by June 12. They had been on strike since minor league seasons began April 6.

"Our goal from the beginning of these negotiations was to obtain a fair contract," Andy Roberts, president of the Association of Minor League Umpires, said in a statement. "It has been a tough struggle, but an important one for our membership. Now it's time to get back on the field. The umpires are ready to work, and we look forward to the rest of the season."

Umps and the Professional Baseball Umpire Corporation agreed to a contract April 27, but umpires rejected that agreement by a 2-1 margin on May 1. The sides resumed talks last Wednesday with the assistance of a federal mediator.

"Late Friday, the AMLU made a proposal to settle the strike that PBUC agreed was acceptable," management lawyer George Yund said in an e-mail Tuesday.
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Isnt that the same deal they rejected in the previous vote?

If not, whats different?
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

The difference in what they settled for and what was turned down by a 2-1 vote on the last proposal was $1 per day. The $100 increase was on the table from the beginning. This was stated to be unacceptable. Andy and his minor league guys got a helluva deal. WOW

Minor league umpires settled their season-long strike, ratifying a six-year contract Tuesday that calls for a $100 monthly salary increase.

Umps had said their salaries previously averaged $15,000 at Triple-A, $12,000 at Double-A, $10,000 in full-season A-ball and $5,500 in rookie leagues.

As part of the new deal, per diems rise $3 to $28 at Triple-A, $25 at Double-A and $23 at Class A. They will rise gradually to $40 at Triple-A in 2011, $35 at Double-A and $30 at Class A.

Umpires will return to work by June 12. They had been on strike since minor league seasons began April 6.

"Our goal from the beginning of these negotiations was to obtain a fair contract," Andy Roberts, president of the Association of Minor League Umpires, said in a statement. "It has been a tough struggle, but an important one for our membership. Now it's time to get back on the field. The umpires are ready to work, and we look forward to the rest of the season."

Umps and the Professional Baseball Umpire Corporation agreed to a contract April 27, but umpires rejected that agreement by a 2-1 margin on May 1. The sides resumed talks last Wednesday with the assistance of a federal mediator.

"Late Friday, the AMLU made a proposal to settle the strike that PBUC agreed was acceptable," management lawyer George Yund said in an e-mail Tuesday.
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Please explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsttxump
The difference in what they settled for and what was turned down by a 2-1 vote on the last proposal was $1 per day. The $100 increase was on the table from the beginning. This was stated to be unacceptable. Andy and his minor league guys got a helluva deal. WOW

Can you explain? To us country folk it sounds like you're saying that they missed two months of pay to get an extra $30 per month per diem. I'm not real strong at math but it seems like that would take quite a while to make up for the salary they lost by striking.
Closed Thread