The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 04, 2006, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

You guys will never get it. I should have stuck by my original comment that you are not worth the words. Spin it anyway you want. I did not strike, I am retired. Just know this, you were offered to scab only after the league presidents called people like me and I said "No." So now when you tell people the story about how you worked minor league baseball be sure to tell them that you were not their 1st nor their 2nd choice. My final point on this before I move on...the AMLU didn't hold anyone hostage. They stood up against something much stronger and had less resources. How can you hold them hostage? Baseball treats umpires poorly, and replacement umpires only helped them ensure that they can continue to pay umpires a poverty wage. Way to be part of something so important. Therefore, as I said earlier, you guys are losers and now, along with the managers and payers, the owners are laughing at how you bought into their hype about how much you mean to the game. Take your shots at the AMLU, they are easy targets. But that makes you no different than any other fan that does it on a nightly basis. The only difference now is that the AMLU will work with their identities known...they won't hide. Check the box scores next week...you will find a list of umpires that are proud of what they do.

As a former MiLB umpire, I don't hesitate to say for a second that I am proud of the AMLU. Not because they got what they wanted, but rather because they had the courage to try.
Old Sun Jun 04, 2006, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

I am glad to see all of this bickering and name calling is accomplishing a lot. I didn't work as a replacement, was never asked, and probably wouldn't have because I didn't trust my skills for that level. I have since worked with several guys that did work as fill-ins. They made the decision and it's not my place to say whether it was right or wrong. Time will decide that.

I know a couple of guys in the game. They are good people and they have scraped by on nothing for years. I wish they had gotten more in the settlement. I understood why they went on strike and I didn't blame them.

The discussion above is they very thing I hoped wouldn't have happened. This rift was not and should not be between amateur umpires and professional umpires. It's between the AMLU and MiLB. Several things have to be realized on both sides of umpiring. Amateurs working the pro game have to take their experience for what it was. It was replacement work while the striking umpires were out. No different that when the NFL used replacements in the 80's. Yes, they played in the NFL but as replacements . I don't see anything wrong with a guy saying I worked 20 games at AA in 2006 if he qualifies it by saying as a replacement. But don't kid yourself into believing that you are the same as a guy who worked his way up through the ranks.

Professional umpires need to understand that except for the select few who make it to the big leagues, if you want to umpire after MiLB you are going to be an amateur umpire. Sure, you will be an ex-MiLB umpire, but you will be an amateur. You'll be back to working with the guys you called scabs and other choice words. It may work OK between you and your new colleagues and it may not. If you stay a pro, we are also the people that attend the clinics you run. Professional umpires count on amateur umpires to make clinics profitable. Nobody is going to want to attend a clinic run by anyone that calls amateurs inferior and such.

In any event, the strike is over. Dwelling on what happened on over the past few months doesn't solve anything or rewrite history. Time to move on..

Lawrence
Old Sun Jun 04, 2006, 06:20pm

Thumbs down Shout Out To The Homophobs.....

Just so every one knows and hasn't figured it out yet. SCUMP and pdxblue are just a couple of losers from Officials Unlimited.
Old Sun Jun 04, 2006, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Pwl.....another Disgruntled Whiner......swiss Or Chedder??????

Cheese Eater.....
Closed Thread