The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Carp errr crap

I think yours is a valid philosophy, Jiggy, but I disagree with some points. If I eject somebody, the odds are very, very good that I am angry with that person, and no matter how I would like to try, emotions are going to be part of that experience. The key is to act objectively and rationally despite or while feeling keyed up. Can I articulate why I dumped this guy? Can I write a report that is accurate and detailed that looks like a good reason to EJ after I've calmed down?

That's why I say, usually, one bark on one pitch, no problem, and I am not going to have rabbit ears about it. However, if it's one bark that goes something like, "You suck! That pitch was low! You're never working here again!" well, then, he goes home early- but more for personalizing the argument than for arguing balls and strikes.

Taking crap is not part of the job description, but any umpire who says he doesn't take any is fooling himself. My basic stance is to try to keep people in the game. So far, so good (for a while, anyway).

Strikes and outs!
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3appleshigh
Great responses guys!

Also this coach is one of those Arrogant kind. He enjoyed strooling out to talk to pitcher's with out calling for time, and then strooling back. In canada this is a huge rarity. He then came out to argue a call (mine) and was trying to get time and almost walked on fair territory before the play was finished. ( side note, he has to interfere in some way for any real penalty to be inforced were he oin the field of play, correct?)

Oh well thanks for the advice it is stored away for next time.
There's no interference penalty unless he actually interferes, but he won't be coming out anywhere near the foul line again without having time granted. This includes trips to the mound and especially times when he wants to argue.

Tim.
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3appleshigh
Great responses guys!

I think in part I agree, it was simply the verbage he used that blew me away. "That IS NOT a STIRKE!" Not your regular , ooooh or Ahhhh Or Come on. or that was low, or anything. It was the use of the word Strike that shocked me. I agree a firmer warning should have been made the first time, but I'm 99% sure this coach understood the stare.

Also this coach is one of those Arrogant kind. He enjoyed strooling out to talk to pitcher's with out calling for time, and then strooling back. In canada this is a huge rarity. He then came out to argue a call (mine) and was trying to get time and almost walked on fair territory before the play was finished. ( side note, he has to interfere in some way for any real penalty to be inforced were he oin the field of play, correct?) Note the argue was calm and civil. but he was annoying in many ways. So I think that added to the quick toss but I don't know. I know his assistant commented to me that he hates "when {the coach} does this Crap".

Oh well thanks for the advice it is stored away for next time.
3apples what league was this in most of the coaches I have in Ontario walk out as slow as posible to their pitcher barely asking for time as they cross the baseline.

Also if the comment wasn't said I a manner that was clearly meant to bring a reaction I probably wouldn't have said a thing about it. Often I will hear a similar comment as a coach turns away from the plate ie: 3rd base coach saying it while turning away towards left field. That is part of a rat being a rat, and often the only thing a ejection will do in that situation is to escalate things to a level you don't want to go. I have seen many umpires very good ones at that bait a coach into an ejection. Also I have seen many good coaches bait good umpires into a weak ejection to fire up a team.
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIGGY
UMPIRES DO NOT GET PAID TO TAKE CRAP- ANY CRAP- ANY AMOUNT- PERIOD!

having said that...(and before everyone goes ape over that statement all by itself)

We as umpires have more than one tool in our chest. Especially as it pertains to balls and strikes from the dugouts or coaches boxes. My first reaction to his first outburst might be just to note who said it but not even acknowledge it (ignore). I took action, just not one everyone can see. If he keeps going (which they almost always will), i will acknowledge the second one (i.e. looking in his direction- if he says something then i may give a short response something like "that's a good pitch, a strike all day today"). Then I go back to work (I'm giving him every opportunity to shut up). If he pops of again, that's the last one: "hey!, that's enough. we're not gonna talk about pitches!" mask off and giving him the stop sign. Then it's up to him, next comment at all about pitches or my zone he just dumped himself. Obviously there may be instances when his actions or comments accelerate this process, that is the judgment we get paid the big bucks for. Balls strikes should be a fairly easy one to deal with in most cases without constricting him from talking at all and without me having to take any crap off of him without action. One HUGE thing to understand with ejections is (IMHO) that we have other tools in our chest, and we shouldn't be ejecting anyone because he "pissed me off" or "i hate it when they do _____" There are reasons to get run and then there are things that we don't like but aren't a reason to get run. It is part of our job not to make any decision on the field out of emotion or personal feelings one way or the other. An ejection should not be the result of being "fed up". If you are fed up, why didn't you handle it before you got "fed up"? Food for Thought.

During the time leading up to his first warning and the time you toss him there must have been some "crap" taken? Sounds like on the first outburst (I call it crap) you just note who said something (but ignore it). Then if it happens again you look his way and engage him in a verbal exchange (I can see where that might have the opposite effect). Then when he says something again (for the 3rd time) you take off your mask and give him the hand saying "hey!, that's enough. we're not gonna talk about pitches!" Then IF (when) he gives you more crap (for the fourth time) you finally run him. That's a lot more crap than I will take.

If a coach makes a comment after a pitch I'll give him some leadway, depending on what he says, but after a very short time I'll usually say (first warning) "I heard you coach, that's enough". This is with mask in hand and probably his only warning. Any more comments from the coach then it's to show me up and he is asking me (daring me) to take more actions against him.

We just don't argue balls/strikes....never ever! You'll sometimes hear comments on a pitch but when they begin to make a scene they are opening their own exit door.

Coaches learn which umpires they can't push too hard, word spreads. Every game I work the coach knows what to expect from me if pushed. I haven't ejected a single coach (HS or higher in my 100+ games this season). I did get a youth coach Saturday though....but not until he asked me to toss him
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger49
3apples what league was this in most of the coaches I have in Ontario walk out as slow as posible to their pitcher barely asking for time as they cross the baseline.

Also if the comment wasn't said I a manner that was clearly meant to bring a reaction I probably wouldn't have said a thing about it. Often I will hear a similar comment as a coach turns away from the plate ie: 3rd base coach saying it while turning away towards left field. That is part of a rat being a rat, and often the only thing a ejection will do in that situation is to escalate things to a level you don't want to go. I have seen many umpires very good ones at that bait a coach into an ejection. Also I have seen many good coaches bait good umpires into a weak ejection to fire up a team.

Well it was that pseudo PBLO league u16, and that is part of the issue, this is my first year doing these guys. Now I have done some PBLO u18's, but never had a coach to this level of shear arrogance. But still, at least they look towards you and raise a hand, this guy just strolled. But It was never a real issue for me until the Argue, and he screamed time 3-4 times while a base runner was going to third, D had no chance on him, but it was his base runner. I normally do OBA where I have only coaches out on day passes and they call time for everything, equally as annoying. Also this coach said it while stomping down the line 2-3 steps looking at and pointing at the umpire. It was said like an order, not a flaberghasted statement. I'm not sure what I would have done, but neither were good strike in my book, that allows for some bickering in itself.

But I had my first ejection of the season today. Top of first player gets caught ducking from a nice curve, possibly a titch high, but finished beautiful, and the dude bailed enough - strike two, he then grounds out to end the inning. He starts complaining about the call as he turns to the dugout, My partner tells him to shut it and get to the dugout. (to get his gear and come out). Well he comes out and HE is the PITCHER. unreal, any way 4 or fifth batter he faces he throws a high fast ball outside corner but up, I call a ball, Partner in B, he turns around and complains, Partner calls time, and loudly warns him to stop complaining on Balls and Strikes. two innings later he throws a similar pitch at a batter who is short, Crosses at Her ( yes her) chin. I call a ball. He takes two steps towards me and Asks Where Did That one Miss?, rather sarcastic, I tell him it missed near the bench right where he is going and Coach get me a new player. He then says I was asking politely? LOL What can you do.
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 02:31am
Official Forum Member

A word to the wise there Bluelawyer.......

The last time someone on this site said "It's for the kids" all hell broke loose.
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Apples, the coach would stroll to the mound without requesting "time"? How many times did he do that? That's a rarity everywhere, not just in Canada. The first time he tried that on me I would have asked him, "Hey Coach, where are you going?"

It sounds to me that you guys have let this coach get away with a lot of shennanigans in the past.

Bob P.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

And another bad thing about that RPatrino is not just how the coach acts around this crew but how he might act the next game. I had a 16 year old game last season where I was "warned" by another ump that one coach liked to see what he could get away with. On an easy out-stealing call at third (I'm BU) I turn around and see this coach halfway to the pitcher's mound. I informed him: (1) get off the field, and (2) if your make any sound you're gone.
Mr. Coach swallowed whatever he thought he was going to say and retreated. But for him to think he could walk out on the field like that suggests he had been allowed to.
I don't mind cleaning up my own messes. I don't like having to clean someone else's.
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

True,

Now it was my first time with this coach and with this league, You all are right, I should have stopped it, But I didn't stupid mistake, obviously in regard to him I'm not alone in making. Oh well live and learn right!
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeErieUmp
I don't mind cleaning up my own messes. I don't like having to clean someone else's.

Good point. We sometimes loose focus and forget that when we allow a bunch of B.S, someone else will have to clean it up later. I get tired of hearing "the last umpire we had..........."

Tim.
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 12:52pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Good point. We sometimes loose focus and forget that when we allow a bunch of B.S, someone else will have to clean it up later. I get tired of hearing "the last umpire we had..........."

Tim.
I heard that so much lately that I addressed the problem at our last meeting. These umpires had been allowing lead-off hitters to stand near the plate timing the pitchers' warm-up throws. I kept having to tell them every half inning that this practice is not allowed at any level of baseball. The coaches come back with, "none of the other umpires........" or "we let them do this." Well, the other umpires are wrong, and I'm not having it on my ballfield.

In pro ball, the batter would get one planted in his ear if he stood there timing the pitcher and bothering his warm-ups. I explain this, and that it is not done in the big leagues, so why do they think they can do it. I tell them that in pro ball they walk from the on-deck circle to the batter's box after the catcher sends it down to second base. That is when they are introduced. And as I explain to the coaches, since this is a youth league, we can't advocate throwing at the kid's head, so we are just not going to time the pitchers. They can do all the timing they want to over by their dugout.

Sorry for the rant, but I've had it up to my head with it.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Tue May 16, 2006 at 12:55pm.
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 01:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

If you do things only because everyone else is doing something, you will lose in the end. Every umpire is different and every situation is different. There are no one size fits all solutions. What works with one umpire will not necessarily work with another umpire.

Most umpires are going to out last most coaches and definitely will outlast the players. I have told coaches many times, "I do not care what another umpire has done in the past.....this is what we are doing today" Then you tell them what the rules say and why the rule is there. Then you can say something like, "What other rules do you want me to turn my back on." Usually it does not get that far, but you get the point.

Enforce the rules as close to the accepted philosophies as you can. You are not going to make everyone happy.

Peace