The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 04:43am
Official Forum Member

Girls JV, coach A had been obnoxious the whole game and earned a T from me in the 3rd period. She had been instructed of the "seatbelt rule" by my partner prior to my administering the free throws. The technical quieted the coach for a few minutes afterward, although she was warned once by my partner to remain seated. 4th quarter, about 3 minutes left, team A down by 8 or so and shooting free throws, my partner administering, coach A is off the bench down the sideline yelling instructions to her players. My partner forcefully informs her to sit down at which point she takes a chair from the end of her bench, moves it about 10 or so feet from the end of the bench and sits down in it, with a little grin. My partner directed her to move the chair back to the end of the bench and sit down again. I probably would have hit her with her 2nd direct T and sent her to the showers, what do you think?
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 05:18am
Official Forum Member

Hard to say not having been there and to actually know what was said between the coach and the officials.
If she continued to get up after being seat belted...you could have by rule given the second T to her and ejected her.
I probably would have worked hard to let her know what was in store for her if she did not adhere to the rules.
I wouldn't be to quick with the second T...but, if a coach won't listen and is continuing to be stubborn...ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
Richland, WA
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 06:34am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by SMEngmann
Girls JV, coach A had been obnoxious the whole game and earned a T from me in the 3rd period. She had been instructed of the "seatbelt rule" by my partner prior to my administering the free throws.

My partner forcefully informs her to sit down at which point she takes a chair from the end of her bench, moves it about 10 or so feet from the end of the bench and sits down in it, with a little grin.

The coach was instructed about the seatbelt rule after getting a "T", had already been warned about it and then she pulled this?

Buh-bye! She deliberately made both of you look like clowns. How many warnings do you give someone? Tell your partner to sack up.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by SMEngmann
Girls JV, coach A had been obnoxious the whole game and earned a T from me in the 3rd period. She had been instructed of the "seatbelt rule" by my partner prior to my administering the free throws.

My partner forcefully informs her to sit down at which point she takes a chair from the end of her bench, moves it about 10 or so feet from the end of the bench and sits down in it, with a little grin.

The coach was instructed about the seatbelt rule after getting a "T", had already been warned about it and then she pulled this?

Buh-bye!
I agree. She's gone. I try to work with coaches to remind them of the need to sit down after their first T, but the moving of the chair was showmanship and, IMO, must be penalized.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

I hate that rule, these are kids they are coaching let tham up and coach if she is up barking at you stick her
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 10:52am
Keeper of the HAMMER

She should have thought about that before opening her yap and getting the technical foul. It's an incentive, and I like the fact that it goes away after a technical foul.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 11:22am
Esteemed Participant

I am not a big one for T's, and especially not for calling a T "over my partner's shoulder" so to speak, but I think I would have sent her out from wherever I was on the court for that little trick...
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Lightbulb

At the GJV level, it's borderline! It would depend on the context of the game...and if she did it to get you to smile.

Usually, as long as the coach is COACHING, I don't enforce the seatbelt rule. If the coach is jawing at me & my partners, whack #2!
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 11:38am
M.A.S.H.

She's gone after her chain thing. She did this on purpose to try and stand you two up. If she's going to be a smar***s on the court, then it's going to cost her. Bye coach.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Indy_Ref
At the GJV level, it's borderline! It would depend on the context of the game...and if she did it to get you to smile.
JV coaches are inexperienmced many times and don't know when to stop. If you ignore them, they'll never learn what's appropriate.

Quote:
Usually, as long as the coach is COACHING, I don't enforce the seatbelt rule.
And you do everyone who comes in behind you a disservice.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

"Whack! Get out!"
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Whack! Seems like an obvious T to me.

Sara
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

WAY too much talking to the coach. They will be just like little kids to test your resolve if you tell them. You must act if the rules are violated and ignore what is petty. While you aren't necessarily there to earn anyone's respect, if the coach's behavior is costing him or her control of their team, then you must act.

I worked prior to any coaching box in HS. I basically only said to the coach two things, other than perhaps answering a question: 1) "Coach, I need you to have a seat." and 2) (if necessary) "Coach, I need you to retain (or gain) control of your team, and I need you to do that immediately." If it got to the point where something else needed to be said, in 9 out of 10 times, it got to the point of a T. And I honestly did not T coaches very often.

The key is to maintain control of the game. You aren't trying to control everyone's actions, but the game and players must be kept under your control. The problem is that once control is lost, scattering technicals like raffle chances may not get it back. Easier said than done, obviously, but you lose control by trying to reason with a coach. That's not your job.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 05:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas Aggie
WAY too much talking to the coach. They will be just like little kids to test your resolve if you tell them. You must act if the rules are violated and ignore what is petty. While you aren't necessarily there to earn anyone's respect, if the coach's behavior is costing him or her control of their team, then you must act.

I worked prior to any coaching box in HS. I basically only said to the coach two things, other than perhaps answering a question: 1) "Coach, I need you to have a seat." and 2) (if necessary) "Coach, I need you to retain (or gain) control of your team, and I need you to do that immediately." If it got to the point where something else needed to be said, in 9 out of 10 times, it got to the point of a T. And I honestly did not T coaches very often.

The key is to maintain control of the game. You aren't trying to control everyone's actions, but the game and players must be kept under your control. The problem is that once control is lost, scattering technicals like raffle chances may not get it back. Easier said than done, obviously, but you lose control by trying to reason with a coach. That's not your job.
I couldn't agree more TexasAggie, the only problem is that too many officials try to reason too much and that leads to the coach's poor behavior. A lot of times I get to be "the bad guy" because my partners won't TCB with the coach, so I ultimately have to. I won't however, take action over my partner's head, as in this case. I thought it was weak of my partner to let the blatant action by the coach go, and I brought up the situation here because I wanted to see if others would have thought an ejection justified (of course I'd already meted out the 1st T after a couple "talks" from my partner followed my stop sign). I'm no fan of giving Ts and it wears on me to do it, but I think that technicals, especially at lower level games (JV like this) make the overall quality of sportsmanship and basketball better over the long term.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

One thing I do during a timeout, when we have the first horn, I step in and remind the benches. When the second horn goes off, I remind them to get moving if they're not, and inform them that I'm not known for my patience. That serves as a vague reminder to behave themselves for the rest of the game, and not to push things too much. A little comes with the territory, but a gentle reminder will go along ways, and it needn't create a combative situation.