The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Weird Playoff Schedule

I received my assignment for next weeks first round of HS playoffs last night.

It's what our association is calling an "IF" assignment.

Of the two teams that are playing in the game, one team has 1 less loss than their opponent. So, (if) the team with 1 less loss wins, we play a second game that night to break the tie.

So I have a game at 4:00 PM for sure, and maybe a second game at 7:00 PM.

Apparently, we have 8 games in the first round with this scenario.

In the last 3 years, I haven't had this kind of a playoff assignment.

Do other areas do it the same way ?

Nick
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Tennessee Division I (nonfinancial aid) Schools

Each District sends two teams to the Regional Tournament and each District is allowed to use pretty much any method to determine who they send. Some Districts give their regular season champion an automatic berth in the Regional. Some give their regular season champ an automatic berth only if they complete the District regular season schedule undefeated. In each situation, the regular season champ still competes in the District tournament to see if they go as the #1 or #2 seed. In other Districts, the results of the District Tournament are the only criteria used to determine who advances to the Regional.

The tournament formats are varied. To the best of my knowledge, no District has more than eight teams, but many have less than eight. Most Districts use play-in games in the first round with the loser going home and the winner advancing to a four-team double elimination tournament. In tournaments like this, it is possible for the regular season champ to have a bad game and get sent home in the first round. Other Districts have adopted the College World Series format, with two four-team double elimination tournaments determining the two Regional representatives, and those two teams meeting in one game to determine who goes as #1.

The schools who give financial aid use a slightly different format, but they have the same general options.

With all that said, to answer your question, I have not seen you scenario, but with the leeway the Districts have in determining their tournament format, I guess it could be done. The more I think about it, the more I like it. I am a firm believer in rewarding achievment over the course of the regular season. This means the team with the better regular season record would have to get beat twice to get kicked out in the first round.