View Single Post
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Different blues, different leagues, different cultures

I agree with Just, who talked about each umpire having his own level of crap he will put up with. I also factor in the league, the level of ball and, honestly, the coach. If I have a coach I know to be a whiner, I am much quicker on the trigger for a warning (no EJs in 5 years). On the other hand, if it's a coach who rarely squawks, if he hollers, I am more likely to listen and give him some slack.

Grumbling about one or two pitches, over the course of a game, is not grounds for an ejection in any league I work (13 year-old Babe Ruth to MSBL and college scrimmages).

"Arguing" in my mind is a comment about my zone over the course of the game or any one yell about any one pitch. When the coach has crossed my line, I say something to the effect of "Balls and strikes, Coach. This is your warning." After that, if he barks, he knows he has done so at his peril. This applies to any judgment call.

To the umpire who got uninvited for standing up for yourself: good riddance to that league for you. A strong association can take care of that business. Around here, we are short umpires, so we have some more of the power on our side in this equation. Don't go crazy and forget that the game is not about you (or the coaches and parents, for that matter)- it's about the kids. But if all umpires draw a line and tell the leagues this is your limit, the league will either adapt or find themselves without blues.

Strikes and outs!