The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quick Question

Somone called me and told me they had this play tonight as base umpire:

ball hit to F6 and BR crossed the base but stepped on F3 foot which was on the base. BR was across the base before the ball arrived and the ruling was safe.

There was an appeal to PU, and PU said out.

What is it?

Please state ruling/case play.
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Why was the PU even helping on this play? The runner is safe because U1 called him safe.

bob P

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
Why was the PU even helping on this play? The runner is safe because U1 called him safe.

bob P
I have no idea. I understand the BU called him safe, but where is the reference?

I understand PU getting involved if F3 pulls off bag or something like that, but the BU did not ask for help.
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have my rule books handy, but my take is the BR beat the throw to the bag, so he is safe. Now I suppose the PU was ruling that the BR never actually touched the bag because he stepped on F3's foot? I don't buy that.

I also suppose that after all the hopping and jumping around the F3 will learn to take the play properly.

Bob P.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

nonetheless, the offense coach came out and was thrown out by the PU.
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Obstruction

Sounds like F3 hindered the BR from touching 1B. Rule obstruction and award 1B. Play on. From the description this play wasn't close. Why look for trouble? The only reason the BR didn't touch the bag is because F3's foot was there, without the ball.
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
Sounds like F3 hindered the BR from touching 1B. Rule obstruction and award 1B. Play on. From the description this play wasn't close. Why look for trouble? The only reason the BR didn't touch the bag is because F3's foot was there, without the ball.
I agree, BR is safe but cannot find the reference. The thing in what you are saying is not obstruction due to a play being made so this cannot be obstruction, correct?

anyone with a reference? I have been searching rule 8 and cannot find it.

Last edited by irefky; Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 08:59pm.
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

I doubt you will find a reference. Obstruction in this case is a stretch, as the bag was not blocked.

Was this HS or youth ball? I don't doubt that a coach was tossed because of the unsolicited over ruling by the PU.

Bob P.

-----------------------

Last edited by RPatrino; Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 09:15pm.
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I doubt you will find a reference. Obstruction in this case is a stretch, as the bag was not blocked.

Was this HS or youth ball? I don't doubt that a coach was tossed because of the unsolicited over ruling by the PU.

Bob P.
high school
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Appeal was made to PU, by whom, a coach?

Partner did not ask PU for help but he called the runner out because coach appealed directly to him?

Opposing coach got tossed by PU.

Unless the B-R had a tiny foot and F3 has Ronald McDonald feet I can't believe some part of B-R foot did not touch some part of the bag as he stepped on it.

Sounds like PU had an agenda all his own.
Old Tue Apr 18, 2006, 12:28am

Quote:

Bob P.
I think the BU got the call right. F3 shouldn't have his foot on the part of the base that belongs to the runner (the entire top of the base). If he is there, he is blocking the path of the runner. If his foot was not on the top of the base, the runner would have touched the base and been safe, so I rule as if his foot wasn't there to begin with. It is a judgement call as to whether or not the fielder can occupy that space when a throw is imminent. I say no, when it comes to F3 sticking his foot all over the base.

Just because a play is coming does not give F3 the right to stick his big old clodhopper all over the base. I played first base from LL through HS and never put my foot on the top side of the base when taking a throw.

The PU in this case should first of all be put on the BU's redline list, no more games with this idiot. How do you justify overruling your partner without being asked by that partner? It just isn't done (I know the exception, so don't post it, please).
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Apr 18, 2006, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Well, i wouldn't call obstruction since the play was "imminent," but i would call the runner safe because his foot was practically on the base. I don't know how the runner could do this and 1- not touch the bag in the slightest way or 2- roll his ankle real bad. I would consider the runner "close enough" and say he touched the bag for all practical purposes here.
Old Tue Apr 18, 2006, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

I'll tell you right now some OOO called the runner out for interference. This guy's a moron.