The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

My apologies up front if this has been asked and answered before. I am at work and can't spend much time searching...

A1 is inbounding the ball on the baseline. B2 swats the ball back OOB where A1 catches it still OOB. I called OOB on A1 since it had touched nothing else OOB but him and award the ball to B. I think I was wrong and my partner was not sure as well. He has seen it called both ways.

If the inbounder is still OOB does it make a difference? My partner thought it did. Basically he says that the inbounder is like the wall or the floor untill he establishes himself in bounds, so the OOB should have been on B2 with A getting the ball back.

Rules reference if possible so I can memorize it and commit it to memory.

Thanks
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
You made the right call. Go to the inbounding the ball section of the rule book. A player is still out of bounds until he or she has reestablished themselves back in bounds.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cmckenna
My apologies up front if this has been asked and answered before. I am at work and can't spend much time searching...

A1 is inbounding the ball on the baseline. B2 swats the ball back OOB where A1 catches it still OOB. I called OOB on A1 since it had touched nothing else OOB but him and award the ball to B. I think I was wrong and my partner was not sure as well. He has seen it called both ways.

If the inbounder is still OOB does it make a difference? My partner thought it did. Basically he says that the inbounder is like the wall or the floor untill he establishes himself in bounds, so the OOB should have been on B2 with A getting the ball back.

Rules reference if possible so I can memorize it and commit it to memory.

Thanks
Is the player throwing the ball in, in the game, and therefore a player?

7-1-1 and 7-1-2-A are the rules that apply.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnSandlin
You made the right call. Go to the inbounding the ball section of the rule book. A player is still out of bounds until he or she has reestablished themselves back in bounds.
Thanks John,

It was my partners statement that got me thinking. When he stated that the inbounding player was like a wall OOB util he has established himself inbounds that makes it impossible for the inbounder to "cause" the ball to be OOB again.

I thought I had it nailed but he made me think. That is why I have a headache today. :-)
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 04:15pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by cmckenna

A1 is inbounding the ball on the baseline. B2 swats the ball back OOB where A1 catches it still OOB. I called OOB on A1 since it had touched nothing else OOB but him and award the ball to B.
Case book play 7.2.2 is the exact same play as yours. You got it right.