The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 16, 2002, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Had a situation today involving another official, and I guess I need some advice on what if anything I should do.

Scheduled to work a three man game with two veteran officials, its a scrimmage game. This is going to be only my second time working a three man game, I am really excited about getting some needed training and pointers from the two veteran officials. When I arrive the officials from the next game are already there and one of them is dressed out.

The topic comes up about who is working the game and I am pretty much told by the official not scheduled that he is working the game. To avoid any conflict I leave. I am now sitting here with a nice email all ready to go to our assigning secretary. I just dont know if its the right thing to do. I am a very new official, and the last thing I want to do is create waves, or even step on anyones toes. Just does not seem right him stepping in like that and taking over....

So... to send or not to send...

Old Sat Nov 16, 2002, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I guess it depends on what's in the email? Scathing criticism of a poaching official? Don't send. Notification that there was an extra man assigned to the scrimmage? Go ahead and send. "Just wanted to let you know that there was an extra official assigned to my scrimmage at (place) on (date). As the junior official, I gave up the assignment. Is there any chance you have another 3-man opening that I could fill?"

Why didn't the other officials agree to rotate in a fourth official? We always assign extra officials to scrimmages. That way everybody works, but also gets a breather.

Chuck
Old Sat Nov 16, 2002, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Excellent advice, Chuck.
Old Sat Nov 16, 2002, 08:21pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Swanny
Had a situation today involving another official, and I guess I need some advice on what if anything I should do.

Scheduled to work a three man game with two veteran officials, its a scrimmage game. This is going to be only my second time working a three man game, I am really excited about getting some needed training and pointers from the two veteran officials. When I arrive the officials from the next game are already there and one of them is dressed out.

The topic comes up about who is working the game and I am pretty much told by the official not scheduled that he is working the game. To avoid any conflict I leave. I am now sitting here with a nice email all ready to go to our assigning secretary. I just dont know if its the right thing to do. I am a very new official, and the last thing I want to do is create waves, or even step on anyones toes. Just does not seem right him stepping in like that and taking over....

So... to send or not to send...

Swanny,
That's a tough one. Sorry to hear that.
Next time, don't leave until you hear from the person that told you to be there. Then you'll probably be paid whether you work or not.

...Anyway, welcome to the forum.
mick
Old Sat Nov 16, 2002, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you all for the wonderful advice, and I did send a nice email just explaining what happend.

I got a call from the other new official who was supposed to work the two games after mine, he was not able to work his games either. Same thing happend to him. Same official.

I thought about it... Its not as big now as it was then. I am sure I will have plenty of more chances. I think what got to me the most was the fact that a senior official who I really respect would treat not one, but two new officials in that way. I am gonna put it behind me and move on. Thank you for the welcome, I have lurked here for sometime and have found this to be a great place.

Old Sun Nov 17, 2002, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

I would still email or call the assignor. Things like this can get twisted. He may hear that you were assigned to the scrimmage and didn't work it, without knowing why you didn't work. Tell him what happened.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Nov 17, 2002, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Swanny --

When I was very, very new, I got treated rather badly by an official at a game. At our next class, I asked the teacher what I should have done. After I told him what happened, he said, "On behalf of the entire association, I apologize." And then encouraged me to let our assignor know just the facts. Which I did. I thought his way of saying it was very classy. The cool part was that that official hasn't been back the last couple of years. I suppose I wasn't the only person who he had trouble with. Rest assured, if this guy is treating new people this way, he'll get his sooner or later. And when you just go on about your business, you look like the capable and responsible one. Good job.
Old Sun Nov 17, 2002, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Good advice from all.

I started last year and soon learned that some guys will be very helpful with encouragement and constructive criticism. A few will not. Appreciate the ones that are helpful and be respectful to all.

Good luck and have fun.
Old Sun Nov 17, 2002, 01:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Do not give up so easily.

Swanny,

You have to be a little more assertive. Your assignor gave you the game, that means he intended you to do it. Officials are not responsible for this alone. Stand your ground and at least stay and watch. Just do not leave because a "so-called" veteran insisted on doing the game. You might have even talked to the AD to confirm who was assigned the games. If you are not assertive on things like this, this will happen during the regular season and you will really get in trouble with your assignor. He might think you are not responsible enough to cover your assignments. Send an email or call the assignor and tell him what happen. Do not point fingers, just give information. Let him decide what is the best way to handle this. Ya never know, he might have seen this happen with this official before.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 18, 2002, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

I was disappointed to read that you left. You sound like you are very interested in learning and advancing, and you passed on a great opportunity to watch, learn and ask questions.

I will guarantee that if you had suited up and you had any decent officials there (other than this poacher), they would have eventually worked you in the game. Be respectful, but hold your position!
Old Mon Nov 18, 2002, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
I'm a new lawyer, just passed the bar in my state, and
I was going to meet my very first client. Obviously I
was pretty excited. On the way to the conference room I
bump into Johnny Cochran - he tells me he's in town on
another matter but he has some free time so he'll be
taking my client. I didn't know what to say so I just left.
Now I'm left wondering should I contact the bar association?

Old Mon Nov 18, 2002, 11:00am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
I'm a new lawyer, just passed the bar in my state, and
I was going to meet my very first client. Obviously I
was pretty excited. On the way to the conference room I
bump into Johnny Cochran - he tells me he's in town on
another matter but he has some free time so he'll be
taking my client. I didn't know what to say so I just left.
Now I'm left wondering should I contact the bar association?

If you're one of those pre-paid ones,you should be scuured!
Old Tue Nov 19, 2002, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

These are the kind of people that lose my vote for Tournament assignments. I choose who I vote for based on a combination of their ability and their character. There are some very good officials (even ones that make the tourney) that do not get my vote because of behavior I have observed.

Scrimmage or not, I would certainly let the assignor know. It does not matter if the other official wants to work the game, it is your game. Your assignor put you there for a reason. If the assignor wanted the other official there, he would have been assigned the game. It seems from your post that he didn't claim he was assigned, just that he wanted to show up and take the game. Insist that you were assigned and should be working the game, but only professionally.