The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 15, 2006, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

Bad Form, MiLB umpires should have more Class

It is sad to admit that you are an alum of the AMLU when you hear about and see some of the things that the guys are doing now.

I guess I understand the photo gallery thing, but they could keep it to themselves.

What I don't agree with and feel is in very poor taste is the list they have put together with phone numbers and such and the calls to people's homes at all hours and the things that have been said to young children and wives that came directly from AMLU guys. Most people have caller id and your number shows up too and you can be traced by them! OK, so the SCABS as you would call them have crossed the line, that doesn't mean that you have to; or are you just as bad as them? Are you making it OK for them to cross?

Second is the practice of walking up to the drunk folks and instructing them to yell at the umpires on the field. Be better than that and if you can't be man enough to yell yourself.

The actions of some will hurt the future for all, and will be used aginst you by the leagues. It is chicken **** and it needs to stop. If you have a problem with a guy, call him and talk to him, if you have to yell at him during a game do it wearing your jacket yourself.

I am not defending anyone that crosses, but those of you that partake in these actions are just as bad as the SCABS!

Anyone agree or disagree?

Last edited by MrB; Sat Apr 15, 2006 at 01:39am.
Old Sat Apr 15, 2006, 01:56am

I agree. Somebody is going to umpire the games. Get over it. Name calling and threats are not the solution. Calling their homes is harassment, and can be prosecuted.

I was 100% behind the AMLU when they first spoke of striking, but after reading their posts, and seeing the comments with some of the photos, I feel they are going about this in the wrong way.

The games were never going to just stop when they went on strike. What did they really expect, that they weren't going to be replaced? They need to back off and see what happens, just wait and see how much more the leagues can take of inferior umpiring.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Apr 15, 2006, 03:19am
Official Forum Member

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrB
It is sad to admit that you are an alum of the AMLU when you hear about and see some of the things that the guys are doing now.

I guess I understand the photo gallery thing, but they could keep it to themselves.

What I don't agree with and feel is in very poor taste is the list they have put together with phone numbers and such and the calls to people's homes at all hours and the things that have been said to young children and wives that came directly from AMLU guys. Most people have caller id and your number shows up too and you can be traced by them! OK, so the SCABS as you would call them have crossed the line, that doesn't mean that you have to; or are you just as bad as them? Are you making it OK for them to cross?

Second is the practice of walking up to the drunk folks and instructing them to yell at the umpires on the field. Be better than that and if you can't be man enough to yell yourself.

The actions of some will hurt the future for all, and will be used against you by the leagues. It is chicken **** and it needs to stop. If you have a problem with a guy, call him and talk to him, if you have to yell at him during a game do it wearing your jacket yourself.

I am not defending anyone that crosses, but those of you that partake in these actions are just as bad as the SCABS!

Anyone agree or disagree?
I personally haven't heard of such things (can you site a credible source for such accusations?); if they are happening, it is against specific instructions given by AMLU leadership. Understand that in any situation where you have 220+ young men, somebody is going to act stupid. Not an excuse, just the way it is. While I am not an AMLU member, trust me when I say that the leadership and the other members of the AMLU will not stand for such nonsense. My guess is that a good portion of anything "outside the lines" going on may be being done by supporters but not members(AMLU guys have alot to loose here and know it.).

-Benjamin Franklin
Old Sat Apr 15, 2006, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

You're right, of course, that "boys will be boys" -- when they're not disciplined and told the consequences of their acts (and sometimes even then). This tells me that the leadership doesn't understand the PR dimension of the strike. With little leverage against management, they could have used public opinion to move the owners. Oh well, maybe next time, if there is one.
Old Sat Apr 15, 2006, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Did HE GO?

I use to respect the umps back in my playing days.
Then I became a fan and would give them hell half the time.
Once I became an ump, I would just sit in the stands and watch them perform.

I can't imagine ONE umpire yelling at another umpire and calling himself a PROFESSIONAL.
Old Sat Apr 15, 2006, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
I use to respect the umps back in my playing days.
Then I became a fan and would give them hell half the time.
Once I became an ump, I would just sit in the stands and watch them perform.

I can't imagine ONE umpire yelling at another umpire and calling himself a PROFESSIONAL.
I believe the quote is, "Never criticize another umpire. To do so is ungentlemenly and dispicable." That being said, this goes far beyond what I consider umpire on umpire crime. These young men who have taken a stand for themselves are no doubt embroiled in what is possibly the most passionate political situation that they've ever faced. Because of this emotions are bound to run extremely high. This is their lively hood that's being threatened. I'm not trying to be an apologist for some of this behavior, but I can certainly understand where it's coming from. I wonder, if faced with a similar situation in your job, would you lash out as well?

Tim.
Old Sat Apr 15, 2006, 11:39am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
I wonder, if faced with a similar situation in your job, would you lash out as well?
No, because if I walked out on my job, I would be fired. Someone would immediately be hired to take my place. That is how business works. You take a job for what amount of salary or wage is offered, and you honor that amount. If you ask for a raise and don't get it, you don't quit working and start walking around the building with signs. If you were not happy with the salary originally offered, you should not have taken the job.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Apr 15, 2006, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow You hit it

Emotions is the key to this whole dynamic.

I think everyone who reads this board sympathizes with the MiLB guys. Our hearts go out to them for trying to improve the lives of those who come afterward. Now THEY must get together and put their HEADS on tight.

Many others have written very lengthy threads about understanding the REALITY of the entire situation. People who are much older and wiser have voiced their opinions about the state of affairs between PBUC and AMLU.

Does AMLU think they have a right to STOP the game? I can easily believe that each minor league team has several bull-pen catchers with NO shot at making it up a level. If your place is in management and the GAME MUST GO ON, do you not ask them to call balls and strikes? Management can easily fill the 230 SPOTS with ex-D1 pitchers and catchers. They may not know the rules, but they can call ball/strike or safe/out. I'm sure there would be a long line of other candidates, as well. I am sure they would ALL love the opportunity to eject a COACH from a ballgame.

I suggest the AMLU members start breaking their game plan down. I hope they are not looking for any late inning MAGIC. It looks like they will have to manufacture more than a single run to win this GAME. They are up against one hell of an organiztion.

Best wishes,
Old Sat Apr 15, 2006, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Never YELL at UMP

I'm sure most of it is meant to be constructive criticism.

Just don't get near UMP and yell, that means you LOST IT.
Old Sun Apr 16, 2006, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
No, because if I walked out on my job, I would be fired. Someone would immediately be hired to take my place. That is how business works. You take a job for what amount of salary or wage is offered, and you honor that amount. If you ask for a raise and don't get it, you don't quit working and start walking around the building with signs. If you were not happy with the salary originally offered, you should not have taken the job.
Steve, as a former MiLB crew chief, I was curious if you were aware that the AMLU did not walk out on their jobs...and I'm not saying that to start an argument, by any means, but just to say that they are a federally recognized collective bargaining agent by the NLRB, i.e., union. When a contract ends and the union and management could not agree on terms, they are allowed to strike until they come up with a new agreement. I only ask this since I had a friend who crossed the AMLU picket line, who happened to be a member of the UAW. When they found out he crossed, well, let's put it this way, they haven't been as kind as I have in this post to him.

I agree, minor league umpires on strike should do informational picketing, and have no need to shout obscenities at the replacement umpires. There is no need to lower themselves when they need to take the high road in this.

Thanks for listening.

Thatballzlow
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
We did not walk out of our jobs. We don't have a contract.

Clint Lawson
Carolina League
[email protected]
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Let’s look back in history to the beginning of unions and the purpose they served. They provided a means for workers to unite within certain industries in order to gain fair wages, better working conditions and benefits (like retirement & insurance). This happened in many industries some of which members of this forum have benefited as a result of. Maybe the unions didn’t directly impact your industry but indirectly gains made by unions filtered throughout businesses in the US.

Here’s my ruling:

1. MiLB umpires have a right to strike in an attempt to gain fair wages, better working conditions and benefits.
2. Team owners have the right to hire replacement umpires in order to stay in business and to meet their obligations. They also have the right to fire the striking umpires.
3. Replacement umpires have the right to work A-AAA games if offered, without fear of harm; this is still the United States of America.
4. The striking umpires have the right to carry signs and protest the owners and replacement umpires; again this is still the United States of America.
5. Striking umpires have the right to work college, high school or any other level games, one more time; this is still the United States of America.

Now with all of this said who really care what I think? No one..... I was just bored
Old Tue Apr 18, 2006, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

In response to management firing the striking umpires...just so you don't get blasted by some freak who misreads that...

They can't "technically" fire the striking umpires, but they can refuse to ever employ anyone who is a member of the AMLU. The only thing that a collective bargaining agent is is this: If the NAPBL wants to hire someone who is a member of that 220 person staff, they must negotiate with the AMLU. That's what the law says. So, that person would have to resign his membership from the AMLU, or the NAPBL would have to negotiate with the entire group.

If the AMLU wants to win this, they must win the hearts of the players and managers, i.e. , the games must be horribly called...such as the Fresno situation last night...6 batters hit by pitches high and tight and in the back...no warnings issued...massive brawl.

If the NAPBL wants to win this, they have to stay the course, continue to triple the fines, and then restructure the system. They don't ever have to negotiate with the 220 people that are on strike again. Trust me...they break the union...they will hire most of them back on THEIR terms, not the AMLU
Old Tue Apr 18, 2006, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Ahem,

Speaking of Portland Beaver (AAA) Baseball only:

The Beavers have hired an ex-PCL umpire (released) to be the Crew Chief at all further games. They have also hired two ex-MiLB umpires to mix in with two "replacement" umpires.

There will be five umpires working all the remaining Beaver games. Three ex-professional umpires and two replacement college umpires.

The remaining "replacement" umpires have selected to no longer work the games.

This is informational only in nature.

Regards,
Old Tue Apr 18, 2006, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Lawson
We did not walk out of our jobs. We don't have a contract.

Clint Lawson
Carolina League
[email protected]

When the AMLU instructed the membership not to accept Spring Training assignments, they abandoned their right to argue further.

In the other thread, I and others have told you - you don't need a contract to work! For some reason, 220 of you feel compelled to demand one. Long ago, we signed individual contracts within the BUD program. We did this because we wanted the job and chance to prove that we deserved the opportunity to move up. Yes, we agreed to bad pay, conditions and benefits - we did so because we understood our place in the game.

Even your leadership recently commented that the members are doing okay because they have other jobs to pay the bills. Maybe it is just me, but if Andy and the gang want to push the idea that thus really IS a career, they might want to rethink that strategy. PBUC knows that they have a Royal Flush and the union is bluffing. The umpiring is not bad enough to warrant an uprising. According to MiLB, six ejections were handed out in all of AA and AAA in the past two weeks. That is four less than last year at the same time.

The leagues, teams and skippers have been admonished and told to behave themselves. The best NCAA umpires will wrap up their seasons long before the playoffs begin and become available. Then the naysayers will have to watch the guys who already earned a nice paycheck take the plums.

I can't believe the photos on the AMLU site either. They crossed a line by publishing them and veiling threats. I hope they have a good understanding of the way the game of politics is played. They may consider themselves on the way up now, but some day (maybe sooner than they expect) they will be just like everyone else. It looked cold in some of those photos of the picket line. That's a shame...they may be out there longer than the know.