The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 08, 2005, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

The thread about "fashion police" really made me wonder.

As I stated in that thread, my position (as least for ASA) is that far too many umpires do not live up to the professional standards of the ASA with regards to Knowledge (K), Mechanics (M), and Appearance (A).

In an effort to uplift the practices of my colleagues, would I be out of line or backstabbing with any of the following:
  • Constructively critique directly to them without being solicited to do so
  • Drop a note to the league director asking them to issue a memo reminding the umpires of the expectations K/M/A
  • Drop a note to the assignor or UIC asking them to issue some statement regarding K/M/A
Now I am not trying sound like some prima dona but it is amazing that so many so-called ASA registered members simply get so lazy as to their rules knowledge, mechanics, and appearance. I try hard to lead by example and get a lot of great assignments for my efforts.

Recently, I was UIC for a tournament and when I required all of my 14 umps to provide a current registration card I had two guys that were not registered and admittedly had not been registered for the past two seasons! They were a little embarassed when I told them that I would not work them. Even some of the other veterans raised their brows when I told them that I expected everyone to wear the proper ASA shirts, matching shorts, no white tennis shoes, and no trucker hats.

Doesn't anyone ever check for these things? Am I picknitting here?

Old Fri Jul 08, 2005, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Robmoz
The thread about "fashion police" really made me wonder.

As I stated in that thread, my position (as least for ASA) is that far too many umpires do not live up to the professional standards of the ASA with regards to Knowledge (K), Mechanics (M), and Appearance (A).

In an effort to uplift the practices of my colleagues, would I be out of line or backstabbing with any of the following:
  • Constructively critique directly to them without being solicited to do so
  • Drop a note to the league director asking them to issue a memo reminding the umpires of the expectations K/M/A
  • Drop a note to the assignor or UIC asking them to issue some statement regarding K/M/A
Now I am not trying sound like some prima dona but it is amazing that so many so-called ASA registered members simply get so lazy as to their rules knowledge, mechanics, and appearance. I try hard to lead by example and get a lot of great assignments for my efforts.

Recently, I was UIC for a tournament and when I required all of my 14 umps to provide a current registration card I had two guys that were not registered and admittedly had not been registered for the past two seasons! They were a little embarassed when I told them that I would not work them. Even some of the other veterans raised their brows when I told them that I expected everyone to wear the proper ASA shirts, matching shorts, no white tennis shoes, and no trucker hats.

Doesn't anyone ever check for these things? Am I picknitting here?

Are you picknitting? ABSOLUTELY NOT !! How you present yourself as a game official sets the tone for how you will be percieved for the entire game. It also reflects on every other umpire working that particular tournament. There is no excuse for not presenting a professional image. Stick to your guns here.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2005, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Do whatever you can without causing 'bad blood' between you and the other umpires. If you think you can go to them individually and they will respect your opinion then do that, otherwise try to get a general memo put out so noone is singled out.

As UIC, you are responsible for the umpires, you can require whatever you think is reasonable.

Even though I only do Adult SP, I haven't worn the shorts simply because don't know how to make them look professional with the black shoes. I sure would like them on those hot days, but I would rather look professional. Maybe next year, if I can get some good advice on that.

Do you also require belts and that they have a ball bag? I think this is the way to go, but I see many SP umps who don't wear them.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2005, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

No ball bag? What do they do with the spare softballs??

Re shorts: ASA properties (not plugging; just informing) sells shorts that together with the short white socks with ASA logos and the black shoes looks just fine. They also have some long over-the-calf socks with blue trim and ASA lettering but personally I don't like the look of those.

Re shoddy looking umpires, poor mechanics, poor rules knowledge: Part of the problem can be a supply and demand situation. I know we struggle here to get enough people to cover the feilds and all too often have to do one-man in slow pitch even though our association's contract with the leagues calls for two-man whenever possible. The by-product of this situation is that there will be people who know how desprate we are for umpires and they can skip the clinics, not worry too much about uniforms, not study the rules, and still get assignments. Probably won't get the best games in town, but as I once heard one of these officials say: "They all pay the same!". Sigh!
Old Fri Jul 08, 2005, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Hey, can a coach get in on this one?

I appreciate a PU or BU who dresses for success. I want the guy who throws me off the field to be well-dressed and look official. (ha ha)

Seriously, appearance says a lot about the person be it an umpire, coach or player. When my team goes on the field I insist on tucked T-shirts and jerseys. Because of that I have had problems with my AC's but I want to look professional from the top to the bottom.

I really hate to see a coach on the field in a tank-top, cut-off shorts and flip-flops. Yes, I have seen it that bad and it really sets a good example.

If you hear an umpire telling every player that comes to bat to tuck in their jersey you know wihtout looking that the coach will have a T-shirt hanging to his knees as well.

I support your view,
Coach12
Old Mon Jul 11, 2005, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by UmpireErnie
No ball bag? What do they do with the spare softballs??

Just lay them on the ground by the backstop (could be a real mess on an overthrow to the catcher)

Re shorts: ASA properties (not plugging; just informing) sells shorts that together with the short white socks with ASA logos and the black shoes looks just fine. They also have some long over-the-calf socks with blue trim and ASA lettering but personally I don't like the look of those.

Thanks I'll check that out.

Re shoddy looking umpires, poor mechanics, poor rules knowledge: Part of the problem can be a supply and demand situation. I know we struggle here to get enough people to cover the feilds and all too often have to do one-man in slow pitch even though our association's contract with the leagues calls for two-man whenever possible. The by-product of this situation is that there will be people who know how desprate we are for umpires and they can skip the clinics, not worry too much about uniforms, not study the rules, and still get assignments. Probably won't get the best games in town, but as I once heard one of these officials say: "They all pay the same!". Sigh!
AARRGGHH!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

Last week I watched a high-school summer league game in which the umpire wore shorts and a t-shirt. He also made a call in which he insisted that the hands were a part of the bat. The REAL kicker....after the game my daughter said he should have known better because he was an ASA umpire. I asked her why she thought he was ASA. She said he was wearing as ASA logo hat!