The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 01:07pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorg
I was under the impression that you could not browse the AMLU forums unless you are a current minor league umpire.
That is correct. Too bad it doesn't go both ways.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 01:09pm
In Memoriam

Exclamation Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
I don't know about all that. You might have to stop the game for a few minutes while he catches his breath if he has to take a triple into third or if he has to go out on a trouble ball to right and bust back to the plate.

As for his eyesight and judgment, it looks likes his eyes light up every time he sees an all you can eat buffet. Then he uses poor judgement on when to stop. Pause. Read. Fill up two plates at the same time so as to not have to make unnecessary times back to the buffet table.

BTW-He probably buys his uniforms from Thornton Melon.
Please, let's give this a rest.
That man may be the nicest, most giving person in the world.
At a 188 #, my eyes light up at any "all you can eat buffet" and always have.

mick
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 01:16pm

I agree. While I am not as large as the man in the photo, I have never yet had a batter-runner, including Jacque Jones, ever beat me to third on a naked triple, or had any trouble busting back to the plate after going out. The minimal amount of running involved in umpiring, as compared with other sports, is a joke, and any ambulatory person should have no trouble getting to their plays.
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 02:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Please, let's give this a rest.
That man may be the nicest, most giving person in the world.
At a 188 #, my eyes light up at any "all you can eat buffet" and always have.

mick
Mick,

He can't be that nice or giving or he wouldn't in my estimation be out on that field. I have all the respect in the world for any person that is willing to stand up and fight for their rights and beliefs, no matter what the cost. That includes any union or non union person. Until these so called "replacements" are willing to work under the same conditions the AMLU guys were, then they are just fooling themselves and everyone into thinking they are performing a service. They need to work for the same low pay, drive all night to their next game, and live off a crappy per diem. Instead, they enjoy the luxuries of sleeping in their own bed and being home with their families at night. Probably making more per game as extra incentive. In my eyes it's not that they are out there umpiring, it's the fact that this probably the only picket line they are willing to cross.

I don't think they would be beating down the doors to be garbage men, truck drivers, welders. painters, carpenters, or walk the high steel. Not to mention working in the steel mills and coal mines. So why the get out there and feel the need to umpire a game for a few extra bucks and the ego rush it must provide for them. "Hey, look at me. I'm on a field with real professional ball players." That doesn't and wouldn't ever cut it for me. I have too much respect for anyone that gets up, goes to work everyday, and does a good job no matter how menial in nature it is considered to be.

BTW-That picture isn't SAump is it? Just kidding SA. Luv ya man. I enjoy your posts even if some don't.

On a side note. If that guy is a TASO official and was in my association, I would block him and any other official that did the same. About the only people he will be working with will be his own fellow scabs and the newbies that come in. He may never see a varsity field again if he has even seen one before.
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 03:21pm
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
Mick,

He can't be that nice or giving or he wouldn't in my estimation be out on that field. I have all the respect in the world for any person that is willing to stand up and fight for their rights and beliefs, no matter what the cost. That includes any union or non union person.
PWL,
I find it really hard to believe that man is working minor league ball with that git-up.
Are you sure that's a legit picture ? Was a source given for the photo? I missed it if it was.
mick
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorg
As I took the photo I can speak for it. That photo was taken on Friday, April 14th in San Antonio, TX. I only posted that image here. It was not opening night. There were no special event being celebrated at the ballpark that night. The first and third base umpires wore identical hats. The home plate umpire wore a solid navy fitted cap without any logos.

Where else was this photo posted a discussed? I would like to read any discussion related to this image so that I can clear up any speculation. I was under the impression that you could not browse the AMLU forums unless you are a current minor league umpire.

Mick:

I think this post speaks to your question.

Tim.
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 03:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
On a side note. If that guy is a TASO official and was in my association, I would block him and any other official that did the same. About the only people he will be working with will be his own fellow scabs and the newbies that come in. He may never see a varsity field again if he has even seen one before.
And by what means would an umpire of your caliber accomplish this? I am quite certain, based on your lack of maturity and umpiring knowledge, that you have never been put in a position of authority in an umpire association.

Before you mods have a heart attack here, I am just referring to the many examples that he has provided here. I mean no personal attack, just wondering how he figures to block any umpires.
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 03:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Mick:

I think this post speaks to your question.

Tim.
Yes, Tim.
It does. Thanks.

None the less, I am hoping we can let the weighty issues go away.
Discussing philosophies is fine.

mick
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
This is one of those rare times I understand why PWL has said some of the things he's said. I don't like it but I do understand some of it. This is an extremely passionate issue that in someway or another affects us all. That being the union -vs- non union issue that's at hand. In my opinion that's the real underlying theme here. It's not so much an amatuer -vs- professional umpire debate. Because of this, comments are bound to be cast around that serve only to inflame, rather than educate. Truthfully, I half expected to see much worse behavior here when young members of the AMLU began posting. Not because I expected them to be the ones providing the problem, but because it seems to be in our nature as officials to disagree pretty adamantly over the Net. We tend to argue like step childern with a sibling when challenged here on a rules interpretation. Throwing an intense political situation into the mix should make for some volatile discussion. All that being said, I agree with you, Mick. The mans girth, age, race, or religious affiliation should be left out of the conversation.

Tim.
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 05:46pm

And that is what I was doing discussing my philosophies. If SDS doesn't like it, so be it. I didn't use the word sturdy in my last post. Personally, I don't care if he looks like he could be on the cover of Muscle magazine and he replaced Gray Davis as governor of California. A scab is a scab is a scab.
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 10:42pm

Well.....he does look like he never misses a meal

I was referring to 3appleshigh as "sturdy," based on the tale of the tape. The guy in the picture just looks "hungry!"
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 11:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
I was referring to 3appleshigh as "sturdy," based on the tale of the tape. The guy in the picture just looks "hungry!"
He actually reminds me of a certain character in an Austin Powers movie. But since we are not calling any names, I will not type _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _. Anyone care to play "WHEEL OF FORTUNE"
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
This is one of those rare times I understand why PWL has said some of the things he's said. I don't like it but I do understand some of it. This is an extremely passionate issue that in someway or another affects us all. That being the union -vs- non union issue that's at hand. In my opinion that's the real underlying theme here. It's not so much an amateur -vs- professional umpire debate. Because of this, comments are bound to be cast around that serve only to inflame, rather than educate. Truthfully, I half expected to see much worse behavior here when young members of the AMLU began posting. Not because I expected them to be the ones providing the problem, but because it seems to be in our nature as officials to disagree pretty adamantly over the Net. We tend to argue like step childern with a sibling when challenged here on a rules interpretation. Throwing an intense political situation into the mix should make for some volatile discussion. All that being said, I agree with you, Mick. The mans girth, age, race, or religious affiliation should be left out of the conversation.

Tim.
I believe this is very much NOT a union vs. non-union issue. I believe there are any number of amateur guys and even ex-pro guys who have the feeling of "how dare they" regarding the fact that the AMLU has demanded better for themselves and asserted that they are worth it. I have personally heard from amateur umpires the feeling that "they don't appreciate what they already have" and "they knew what they were getting into." There are some ex-pro guys who are of the mind "why should they not have to go through what we went through?" I understand these feelings, but not the inability to think above this emotional level. This is the natural evolution of things, and better for the game and umpires overall. Why shouldn't they ask for better? Is there anyone saying they already have it good? These young men have worked hard and made great sacrifices to do what they are doing. They have a right to get what improvements they can get. Why fault them for that, or worse work against them?

-Benjamin Franklin
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 11:59pm

This must be their logic.....

I don't think anybody expects to get hired for a job at the age of 25 and expects to retire at age 65 for the same wage 40 years later. Is there a certain trend toward communism in our country now?
Old Sat Apr 22, 2006, 01:23am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy
I believe this is very much NOT a union vs. non-union issue. I believe there are any number of amateur guys and even ex-pro guys who have the feeling of "how dare they" regarding the fact that the AMLU has demanded better for themselves and asserted that they are worth it. I have personally heard from amateur umpires the feeling that "they don't appreciate what they already have" and "they knew what they were getting into." There are some ex-pro guys who are of the mind "why should they not have to go through what we went through?" I understand these feelings, but not the inability to think above this emotional level. This is the natural evolution of things, and better for the game and umpires overall. Why shouldn't they ask for better? Is there anyone saying they already have it good? These young men have worked hard and made great sacrifices to do what they are doing. They have a right to get what improvements they can get. Why fault them for that, or worse work against them?
I think you are wrong.

We just think they should have known what was going to happen. There is all this mean spirited talk of "scab" this, and "scab" that, and it gets old really fast. These games were going to get umpired one way or the other, and despite all the complaining by the coaches and players, they really wouldn't care if their grandma umpired the games, as long as they got to play. If this were not the case, the players, managers, coaches, vendors, announcers, and all team personnel would be on the line with the AMLU guys. But they aren't, which means they are actually siding with management, to even be putting up with the obviously inferior umpiring.

It isn't that we don't want the pro umps back. Of course we do. We all think that they are grossly underpaid. They deserve much more in the way of salary, benefits, per diem, insurance and everything else it takes to make a good living. But running around hollering "scab" at the replacements isn't going to help solve a damn thing. Management does not seem to be in any hurry to make a move to solve the problem, so we will all just have to wait and see how the whole thing plays out. In the meantime, we should resist the urge, as difficult as that is, to lash out at each other over this issue.

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Sat Apr 22, 2006 at 01:39am.
Closed Thread