Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
http://www.dailybulletin.com/sports/ci_3721319

Throughout four-plus hours of baseball on a sleepy Monday afternoon, there were plenty of chances for both the 66ers and the Mavericks to gripe and groan about the replacement umpires in the Mavericks' 7-5 victory in 12 innings at Arrowhead Credit Union Park.

To this point, there hadn't been too many complaints about the replacements for the members of the Association of Minor League Umpires, who went on strike before the season to protest the lack of a wage and per diem increase, and the quality of hotels, among other things.

But on Education Day at the ballpark, which featured an 11 a.m. start time and more than 2,000 young students from local schools in the stands, the only lessons learned might have been how much an inconsistent strike zone can affect the game.

The best thing about the umpiring was that it seemed equally exasperating for both sides.

"I even talked to their manager over there about it and we both agreed that it wasn't the best we've ever seen,'' Sixers manager Gary Thurman said.

Thurman then paused and added, "If it wasn't the worst, I can't remember where I've seen that's been worse.''

The problem, in a nutshell, was this: pitches that looked like balls to both pitchers and batters were sometimes called strikes. Pitches that looked like surefire strikes were occasionally taken for balls.

And according to players and coaches - some of whom kept their harshest criticism off the record - this went beyond normal gripes about bad calls.

If the umpiring was indeed "pathetic,'' as one coach called it, then the best call all day might have been the concessions stands stocking up on extra cotton candy and Cracker Jack for the school kids.

"The pitchers didn't know where they were supposed to throw the ball and the hitters didn't know what they were supposed to swing at,'' Thurman said.

The Sixers (7-4), riding a six-game home winning streak, fell behind early when a pair of second-inning errors resulted in three runs for the Mavericks (6-5), who maintained a lead until the sixth inning.

The Sixers' Mike Wilson hit a two-run double in the sixth to give his team a 5-4 lead. Flame-thrower Stephen Kahn came on in relief in the eighth inning, inheriting runners on the corners, but threw a wild pitch that scored the Mavericks' Geraldo Valentin to tie the game at 5.

In the top of the 12th, Corona native Mike Stodolka hit a one-out single and Brian McFall followed two batters later with a two-run blast off of Mumba Rivera (1-1) that landed on top of the vacant Home Run Hill in left field.

As McFall circled the bases and his teammates celebrated, the public address system boomed out singer Tom Petty's "Even the Losers Get Lucky Sometimes.''

The Mavericks' Brandon Weeden (2-0) pitched all of the extra innings, giving up two hits to get the win.

Thurman called on six pitchers, leaving him with only two relievers - three at best, he said - when the Sixers begin a road trip tonight at Stockton.

The pitching situation might become even little stickier pending the results of an X-ray on the left hand of starter Julio Santiago, who was removed from the game in the fourth inning after he tried to field a ball with his pitching hand.

As for the umpires, whose names are not released to the teams or media, Thurman made it a point to say there have been "some doggone good'' replacements this season, just not Monday.

"I know I'm not supposed to say bad stuff about the umpires, but everybody knew. It's not something you can deny,'' Thurman said.

Some of the players, like Sixers leadoff hitter Josh Womack, said the varying strike zone put unnecessary pressure on the batters.

"It gives you something else to worry about while you're hitting,'' said Womack, who went 0-for-5 but said the umpiring hurt some of his teammates more than it hurt him. "Rather than feeling comfortable and the umpire doing his job to keep you safe up there ... you think, `Is he going to ring me up if I take this strike?' ''

Pitcher Eric O'Flaherty, who threw two scoreless innings in relief, was the most diplomatic of anyone when it came to speaking about the replacements.

"There have been some good ones,'' he said. "But basically, they struggled today.''
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 11:29am

Thanks for posting an article. Very original.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck
http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/...604190376/1002

Roasted umps: The Huntsville Stars pointed at two plays that could have changed the outcome of the Biscuits' 6-1 win Tuesday.

One was an apparent blown call by an umpire.

A foul call on an apparent home run by Huntsville's Greg Sain had the Stars and Biscuits talking about the replacement umpires.

The regular minor-league umpires are on strike. While they're out, teams are using local amateur-level umpires.

"We know they're not professional guys and we tell our guys to try to remember that," Huntsville manager Don Money said. "We just have to play the game like it is."

Minor League Baseball has ordered its teams to not identify the replacement umpires. The regular umpires didn't work spring training games and have been on strike since the start of the season.

"I never thought I would say this, but I can't wait until we get the (regular) umpires back," Biscuits left fielder Michael Coleman said. "We still have to play ball."

Coleman said he hit a ball at Jacksonville that hit the foul pole and was called foul. Money described the umpires that worked Huntsville's season-opening series at Mississippi as "rough."

The Stars even had a play at home last week where second baseman Callix Crabbe wanted to dispute a safe call on a force play. Crabbe instead motioned for Money to come argue.

"I went out and the umpire told me that (Crabbe's) right foot wasn't on the bag," Money said. "I said, 'Well, that's because we teach them to take that throw with their left foot on it.'"

On Tuesday, Money demonstratively argued the foul call on Sain's ball. Sain struck out on the next pitch.

"Definitely fair," said Sain, who homered in the first two games of the series.

"The minor-league umpires are in the minor leagues because they're not good enough to be in the big leagues yet, just like the players," Sain said. "(The replacements) are trying, but they're not at this level.

"The calls they are making are making things difficult for both the position players and pitchers."

Had it been a home run, Huntsville would have trailed only 4-3. The argument was the first noticeable spat involving the replacement umpires at Riverwalk Stadium.

"It was fair. He missed it," Money said. "He told me it went to the left of the pole. I said, 'You're wrong, you're flat out wrong, you missed it.'"
I don't get it. Two more runs and they still lose 6-3. And what was the other mistake?
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Thanks for posting an article. Very original.
there was a request for articles, so i posted a couple. sorry for the lack of originality.
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 12:26pm

Sorry, I didn't re-read the previous page. I thought you just decided to start posting articles. My bad.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

apology graciously accepted.
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Uh, oh...you mean there were complaints about the strike zone???

Someone call Eric Gregg and see if he can help.

The complaints about inconsistent strike zone coverage are as old as the game. I can't believe that is the article you chose to post. Interviewing a skipper after a loss and he claims that he can't recall a worse strike zone...lah me!
Old Thu Apr 20, 2006, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

The point of posting the articles was to satisfy YOUR request to show articles that aren't tight-lipped about the officiating.

Originally Posted by WhatWuzThatBlue
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone encountered a legitimate news story concerning the performance of the replacement umpires? I've only seen a few and all deal with the issue and have kind words about the new arbiters.

Last edited by bobbybanaduck; Thu Apr 20, 2006 at 01:00am.
Old Thu Apr 20, 2006, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck
http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/...604190376/1002

Roasted umps: The Huntsville Stars pointed at two plays that could have changed the outcome of the Biscuits' 6-1 win Tuesday.

One was an apparent blown call by an umpire.

A foul call on an apparent home run by Huntsville's Greg Sain had the Stars and Biscuits talking about the replacement umpires.
######## up fair/foul on a home run? THESE NEW minor League umpires are ready for MLB postseason!

Is it twice or three times in the past few years that they missed a fair/foul on a home run---IN A SIX MAN CREW!

This sky is not falling like the AMLU brass told the AMLU members that it would. When you are a union member, NEVER let the Union management decide whether there will be a strike. In most cases, the brass still get paid.

Joe
Old Thu Apr 20, 2006, 08:56pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorg
As seen in tonights Texas League AA game.

They say the camera add ten pounds. My question is how many cameras were on this guy?

A wonder bra would have been a good fit here. LIFT AND SEPERATE

Last edited by PWL; Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 03:25am.
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 03:41am

[/quote]

"I hope when I start running, my thighs don't rub together. If they do they might cause a spark. Then I could cut one and set my *** on fire".
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 05:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
They say the camera add ten pounds. My question is how many cameras were on this guy?

A wonder bra would have been a good fit here. LIFT AND SEPERATE

That photo was posted days ago on the AMLU site and was even discussed here. Someone wanted to know if they were sporting commemorative hats for the season home openers. I'm curious how it was from last night when it is more than four days old?

For what it's worth, I acknowledge his conditioning isn't that of a twenty four year old. From what I remember those twenty four year old walked out. Do those extra pounds effect his eyesight and judgement? Just asking...
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Uh, oh...you mean there were complaints about the strike zone???

Someone call Eric Gregg and see if he can help.

The complaints about inconsistent strike zone coverage are as old as the game. I can't believe that is the article you chose to post. Interviewing a skipper after a loss and he claims that he can't recall a worse strike zone...lah me!
Hey Windy/WWTB: lighten up. You asked for "legitimate news stories" [or some such verbiage.]

THE POINT IS [and you can't imagine how sorry I am to say this]: MiLB management doesn't give a rat's rump what minor league players think - heck, the pay and working conditions of players in MiLB is ALMOST as bad as for the umps- the only way the AMLU "wins" this strike is if a whole bunch of other unions start adding to the pressure [electricians who won't turn on the lights, Teansters who won't drive the trucks - that sort of thing], or if the public statrts to play [no backsides in seats]. I think it was, well...you... that wrote: management would prefer to take what they are getting [in terms of officiating] than give the umpires what they want. [or some such verbiage]

Management apparently feels they can adequately evaluate "apprentice" players without the input from "apprentice" officials; and that paying customers won't care if the "product" is inferior due to the absence of adequate officials, probably because the customers won't recognise that there is a difference.

I support the AMLU, but I'm pretty sure they're toast.
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That photo was posted days ago on the AMLU site and was even discussed here. Someone wanted to know if they were sporting commemorative hats for the season home openers. I'm curious how it was from last night when it is more than four days old?
As I took the photo I can speak for it. That photo was taken on Friday, April 14th in San Antonio, TX. I only posted that image here. It was not opening night. There were no special event being celebrated at the ballpark that night. The first and third base umpires wore identical hats. The home plate umpire wore a solid navy fitted cap without any logos.

Where else was this photo posted a discussed? I would like to read any discussion related to this image so that I can clear up any speculation. I was under the impression that you could not browse the AMLU forums unless you are a current minor league umpire.
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 12:23pm

Quote:

For what it's worth, I acknowledge his conditioning isn't that of a twenty four year old. From what I remember those twenty four year old walked out. Do those extra pounds effect his eyesight and judgement? Just asking...
I don't know about all that. You might have to stop the game for a few minutes while he catches his breath if he has to take a triple into third or if he has to go out on a trouble ball to right and bust back to the plate.

As for his eyesight and judgment, it looks likes his eyes light up every time he sees an all you can eat buffet. Then he uses poor judgement on when to stop. Pause. Read. Fill up two plates at the same time so as to not have to make unnecessary times back to the buffet table.

BTW-He probably buys his uniforms from Thornton Melon.
Closed Thread