View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
This is one of those rare times I understand why PWL has said some of the things he's said. I don't like it but I do understand some of it. This is an extremely passionate issue that in someway or another affects us all. That being the union -vs- non union issue that's at hand. In my opinion that's the real underlying theme here. It's not so much an amateur -vs- professional umpire debate. Because of this, comments are bound to be cast around that serve only to inflame, rather than educate. Truthfully, I half expected to see much worse behavior here when young members of the AMLU began posting. Not because I expected them to be the ones providing the problem, but because it seems to be in our nature as officials to disagree pretty adamantly over the Net. We tend to argue like step childern with a sibling when challenged here on a rules interpretation. Throwing an intense political situation into the mix should make for some volatile discussion. All that being said, I agree with you, Mick. The mans girth, age, race, or religious affiliation should be left out of the conversation.

Tim.
I believe this is very much NOT a union vs. non-union issue. I believe there are any number of amateur guys and even ex-pro guys who have the feeling of "how dare they" regarding the fact that the AMLU has demanded better for themselves and asserted that they are worth it. I have personally heard from amateur umpires the feeling that "they don't appreciate what they already have" and "they knew what they were getting into." There are some ex-pro guys who are of the mind "why should they not have to go through what we went through?" I understand these feelings, but not the inability to think above this emotional level. This is the natural evolution of things, and better for the game and umpires overall. Why shouldn't they ask for better? Is there anyone saying they already have it good? These young men have worked hard and made great sacrifices to do what they are doing. They have a right to get what improvements they can get. Why fault them for that, or worse work against them?

-Benjamin Franklin