View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 04:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham
I am happy to discuss any of my actions with you, but 15 warnings where no issued, there was one in the 2nd that I wrote up as 3, a team, an assistant, and an assistant. One in the 3rd, balls and strike, where they shut up. One in the fourth b/c I knew he was gonna go, and where I have been and where I work, ejections with warnings carry a lot more weight and make it easier for the guys in my group down the road when they get similar type ejections. As far as picking somebody out I have been there before, I had 27 ejections in the NY-Penn in 2000 that includes being the CC of the divisional and Championship series. But this isn't pro ball and it isn't rum dumb high school or adult where I can just dump people that I don't like and get away with not writing an ejection report or one that makes me look bad. If I ejected every coach that said word after I put a line in the sand, I would be a stupid umpire for putting a line in the sand. Were I work I have to handle the situation, and eject people for being obviously stupid not for daring to talk to me after I warn them.

It is called being approachable. You have heard of terms like firm, but fair and being a red-***. I have been a red-***, and know how to be one, but if I want to keep working my way up the Div I ladder, I can't be a red-***. They didn't get personal, and when he did he left. They didn't break a rule; technically the rule states that an assistant can't leave his position to argue, it doesn't say he can't argue from the dugout.

As far as the game being out of control, the game was fine; it was an acting head coach that didn't know how to control his dugout. I never lost my cool, and the game never slowed down. The first and second incident happened between innings and we went right back to work.

For those of you that do work PAC10, WAC, WCC, Big West, or any other Div 1 conference baseball, am I wrong in saying that the coordinators want us to be approachable and get clean ejections when we can?

Again, I will happily answer any questions you have and engage in any discussion you would like to on the topic of handling situations.

BTW, the coordinator, conference commissioner, and the conference president, all emailed me on the well written report, and the professionalism of handling the situation. Also, my partner was a current pro ball guy and he agreed that in pro ball we use to be able to just dump em, but now they want us to be kinder and gentler and approachable.
Like Tee said, in my area assistants just wouldn't "exist" in this way. I moved to my current location 4 years ago and I've had 2 college ejections (we only have JuCo and D3 around here, which is OK with me) -- both visiting coaches at the local JuCo. The rest of the college games I've worked, I've had zero. Most college coaches know the protocol, but I've found that isn't always the case at the JuCo level.

The only person that knows if you took too much is you. I'd never make judgments on another umpire ejecting or not ejecting -- I've had seasons with a lot and seasons with two (last season, actually). But I read from your post that you had a lot of interaction with assistants and that surprised me, especially after finding out you had pro experience.