View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 02:38pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham
I had a Juco game yesterday and my first ejection of the year. Here is how it went.

In the top of the 2nd, the third out was made on a non-routine play at first base where the first baseman possibly had his foot off the base. My partner called the runner out and the entire dugout erupted. I warned the dugout and told them that they could not do that. At this point, assistant coach X attempted to explain to me that his players did nothing wrong. I warned him again and told him that it was not his job, nor his players’ job to argue with the umpires; it is his head coach’s job. Then assistant coach Y attempted to argue the point with me by stating, “The game is not about you!” I then warned him by replying, “And it is not about you or your players arguing with me either.”

In the top of the 3rd there was a check swing appeal that I asked my partner for help on that he called a strike. The dugout again protested and I warned them that they could not argue balls and strikes.

In the top of the 4th there was a close double play call at first base that went against the team making all the noise. The next batter grounded out on a routine play and was out by several steps. An unidentified member in the dugout yelled in a voice that was audible to the stands, “At least you ****ing got one right.” At this point my partner walked towards the dugout and asked who said that. No one responded and assistant coach Z proceeded to walk out of the dugout to argue that “In 30 years I have never seen!” I stopped him from speaking and warned Z that he could not leave the dugout to argue. I called acting head coach B out to talk; the head guy was not at the game he had a family thing. I told him that we have been fair, there wasn’t one call that we kept him from coming to talk to us about, but he needed to put a stop to his dugout. I explained to him that by rule he was the only person that could argue with us. He said that he understood and that he would take care of it. I thanked him and walked away.

As I turned my back to the dugout and started to walk away, assistant coach Z said, “You’re terrible.” I calmly turned to him, signaled the ejection mechanic and said, “Just go to the bus.” He stood up and said, “Are you talking to me?” I replied, “Yes Mr. 30 years, go to the bus.” Z then yelled while pointing at my partner, “Why are you protecting Mickey Mouse.” I replied, “Yes, he’s Mickey and I’m Minnie and you still have to go to the bus.” I wanted to say and you're Goofy, but I refrained. He then proceeded to tell me and my partner how bad we were and started to get repetitive so I told him he had to go and go now. He asked how much time he had left, and I told him he had “15 seconds.” He then waited for me to start counting, I did not and after a few moments of silence he left. He left mumbling some other insults as he walked to the bus.

My question is this? Are guys letting assistant coaches argue with them? One would think that after almost 8 full weeks of play that these guys would have figured out that their job is to sit there and shut up. Not talk to me and my partners. Get your own team if you want to argue calls.
I hate to say this, but YOU let assistant coaches argue with you.