The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

the last two posts were what i was looking to see out of this thread. two people telling what they wear, and why. if people like to wear the mesh shirt under a jacket, cool, go for it. if people want to take it off, thumbs up, go for it. if people dont wear mesh and dont take off the jacket, two thumbs up, go for that too.

i thought about deleting this once it turned into "queen bee" arguments and other grab assing
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 04:19pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
[/B]
I did send him an email -- and you need to give me time to read and respond to his posts of this nature. As hard as it might be to believe, I don't monitor this board 24x7.

[/B][/QUOTE]Tsk, tsk, tsk.....

Obviously you need to go to Global Moderator School, Bob. It's a 16 week course and the cost is a mere $14,500 and your first born male child. The course is offered on the UmpiresUnlimited site to a select few aspiring Global Moderators only each year. Spots are limited, so act now. You may have to pass a physical though(they'll be gentle). Unfortunately, Mick flunked his physical because he giggled too much during it. He's ticklish, you know. They also guarantee that the part of the course where they do the surgery to remove your sense of humor is completely painless. However, be warned that you can only attend Global Moderator School if you're sponsored or approved by an existing Global Moderator. There also is a probationary period involved after graduation where you're not allowed to wear your authorized official Global Moderator uniform in front of your computer. It is OK to wear it out in public though. You are allowed to use your Global Moderator secret decoder ring during your probationary period though. Go for it. Reach for the stars! Maybe one day you'll be able to join Timmy and Stevie on the Global Moderator Dream Team.

Hey, maybe we can all start a fund and send Bob to a Global Moderator camp this summer. What do you think, everybody?

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Jan 16th, 2006 at 04:22 PM]
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Hey, maybe we can all start a fund and send Bob to a Global Moderator camp this summer. What do you think, everybody?
I will donate the money I was going to spend on WJR's online balk clinic. I really wanted to attend this onlie clinic, but I guess it will have to wait unitll next season.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PWL
We can do a telethon from the local TV station in South Bend, Indiana. That can be our first fundraiser.
That way, everyone who BU always challenges to call him can finally get a chance to do so witout having to pay those long distance fees (The telethon will have an 800 number I assume). What a great idea.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by umpduck11
Want a quick two-week suspension? Wear
a long-sleeved jersey to call a high school
game here in Alabama. Do it on the bases while
carrying an indicator, well I guess that'd be
four weeks.
A helmet leads to, what? A lifetime ban? Or do they just take you out and shoot you?
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

This one made me laugh...how long ago was this?

"~Aside~

I worked three days of games at the University of Nebraska one spring. It was 90*.

It was 24* on Friday, 32* on Saturday and 34* on Sunday. And the wind blew the entire time.

I wore everything I had with me."

Even up here, in the blustery Midwest, our schools have temperature guidelines. I haven't started a game when it was below freezing in years. Even the most hardup coach doesn't want a stud pitcher killing his arm or a fielder pulling up with a hamstring injury.

"Blue, where was that last pitch."

"I don't know. My eyes are frozen."

You weren't using Celsius, were you Tee?

Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Gees,

WWTB:

I can't remember exactly, but Sanders was still running the program and he had me out every spring for about 10 years. I met him when I worked the first college game that he had ever coached.

Guessing it was the late 80's to early 90's. But that is a pure guess.

T
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WhatWuzThatBlue
Even up here, in the blustery Midwest, our schools have temperature guidelines. I haven't started a game when it was below freezing in years. Even the most hardup coach doesn't want a stud pitcher killing his arm or a fielder pulling up with a hamstring injury.
i had a few games cancelled because of the temperature being way too cold, but we once started a game in the snow against st. charles (back when it was one school) and i believe we had light snow throughout most of the game. that was a fun one.

[that was posted referring to me as a player]
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally posted by ChapJim
Quote:
Originally posted by umpduck11
Want a quick two-week suspension? Wear
a long-sleeved jersey to call a high school
game here in Alabama. Do it on the bases while
carrying an indicator, well I guess that'd be
four weeks.
A helmet leads to, what? A lifetime ban? Or do they just take you out and shoot you?
On the bases??????
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

YOU should know

I am a big man and I sweat in cold weather too. If I have a doubleheader I remove everything above the belt and put on a 2nd set of gear for the plate or bases. If my outer t-shirt is moist, everything is headed towards the washing machine. Below the belt is my business.

Temps 50-60, I wear a short sleeve cotton shirt. A WV gold and a long sleeve cotton shirt. Then I put on my shirt uniform. The WV is all I need to keep warm and the long sleeves keep my arms warm on a windy day. I might add a windbreaker.

Temps 60-70, I lose the long sleeves and enjoy the plate or add the sleeves to work the bases.

Temps below 50, I WEAR the windbreaker.

Temps below 40, I DO suggest to the coaches that if we need to finish another day, I will be available for FREE. If not, I begin looking for gloves and a scarf.
---------------

Now that you read this drivel, I would like to ask, how do you neutralize your CP after a warm one, and do you have more than one plate coat/jacket to cover the rest of the week?

Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Following along in Kaliix shoes . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C

~Aside~

I worked three days of games at the University of Nebraska one spring. It was 90*.

It was 24* on Friday, 32* on Saturday and 34* on Sunday. And the wind blew the entire time.

I wore everything I had with me.

T

Reminds me Tee, years ago, I had to call time at an Eastern Washington University game game when the snow began falling so hard that I couldn't see the pitcher release the ball. And this was in April.

We had a 30 minute delay while the storm passed.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Gong!
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Snow? You must mean JT. (RIP Jack). I'm from California, and its a rare day when we have to take the flip flops off in favor of snow shoes. Very Rare, in fact.

Bob

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Tee,
Do you still start games when it is below freezing?
I'm just asking and don't know what the "Gees" was about. I thought that most conferences adopted environment rules a few years ago.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Union dude

I suppose big guys could go nekid beneath a plate coat and CP as long as its covered in the by-laws. Looks like your union has already set up the rules to allow it. No arguement there.

We wear shoes, socks and a shirt around here!