The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Re: Union dude

Quote:
Originally posted by SAump
I suppose big guys could go nekid beneath a plate coat and CP as long as its covered in the by-laws. Looks like your union has already set up the rules to allow it. No arguement there.

We wear shoes, socks and a shirt around here!
In years past, MLB umpires wore their Elbeco shirts under the Formal Base Coat. In the '70's, they flipped the collars out over the lapels of the coat for that "disco look". They never wore a shirt under the coat at the plate.

Now I wear a plate coat and other than the WV Platnimum, it's either UnderArmour or (if it's cold) UnderArmour and a turtleneck (usually red). I cannot see the sense in wearing a CP, a navy or black pullover shirt and then a plate coat.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
I have never worn a uniform shirt under my chest protector. On a warm day I wear what color tee shirt my partner is wearing. On a cool day or evening game I wear a Honigs pullover with a tee shirt or UA.

I don't understand why anyone would want to use up a clean uniform shirt under a chest protector. It just doesn't make much sense to me.

Tim.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

OK,

Since it is now "impossible" to place any words in a post without someone questioning them this is my last post in this thread:

Gees, signifies my own concern that someone asked me to remember something from many years ago. It had not a freakin' thing to do with a negative reaction to anyone. Period.

WWTB, in Oregon we play baseball.

At the college level we play in the rain, we play in the snow, we play in the cold.

We have only two D-1 schools. They both play at all costs or they wouldn't have games. While it is true that both those schools go south in early season to make sure they play once the season starts most games are played.

If someone like Southern Cal comes to town Oregon State does everything possible to get games in . . . anything goes.

At our D-3 and NAIA schools weather is simply accepted.

We also have an unwritten rule: "if you start a game in the rain you PLAY the game in the rain -- starting in the rain means you finish the game no matter what."

And for the doubters we have pretty good college baseball in Oregon. OSU was at the CWS last year (2 and home) and two years ago we had the NAIA National Champion at George Fox College.

In closing, We have found over the last 30 years that college coaches play games under all types of conditions. Many coaches agree to "set aside" guidlines that are established.

If you get bored, there is an article on another website that I wrote about working a college double header with huge puddles of water all over the infield. This is the game with the now famous "inside the infield home run" to end the second game.

Tee

[Edited by Tim C on Jan 17th, 2006 at 08:19 AM]
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Rain out! I wish!!

.......by Tee

http://www.umpire.org/writers/so-6.html
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NFump
"Blue, where was that last pitch."

"I don't know. My eyes are frozen."