The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 23, 2005, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

when wearing a pullover jacket, what do you wear under the jacket?

Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress
About the fifth inning, with the temp dropping into the high 40s, I took off the jacket: Too warm.
if i was in this situation, id have a fully exposed BB2000, unacceptable to work a game in.

do people wear a regular mesh umpire shirt under their jackets? ive never seen this before, but carls quote made me wonder how many people do it.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2005, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by briancurtin

Quote:
About the fifth inning, with the temp dropping into the high 40s, I took off the jacket: Too warm.
if i was in this situation, id have a fully exposed BB2000, unacceptable to work a game in.

do people wear a regular mesh umpire shirt under their jackets? ive never seen this before, but carls quote made me wonder how many people do it.
Well on the bases, I'll either wear Under Armor, then the jacket. On those real cold days, Under Armor, a turtle neck then the jacket. If it warms up, I'm screwed.

At the plate, I hate pullovers! I wear a plate coat (one if the few in my association that still has one). Depending on the temperature, Under Armor then the chest protector or (if it is real cold) Under Armor, the turtle neck, the chest protector then the plate coat.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2005, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

The UA Cold Gear intrigues me but I just don't remember it getting cold enough during the early HS season consistently to wear it. I wear UA but the Loose Gear.

If it's cold and I'm behind the plate, I wear a UA shirt, CP, and a pullover. I definitely do not have a mesh shirt on over the CP. Too warm. CC can clarify but I bet he had a change of shirt in the dugout and went over between innings for the quick change.

Lawrence
Old Fri Dec 23, 2005, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

I have never worn a regular mesh shirt under a jacket. The temperature would dictate what I am wearing under a jacket. If I am PU whatever I have on is under the CP.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2005, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
I have never worn a regular mesh shirt under a jacket. The temperature would dictate what I am wearing under a jacket. If I am PU whatever I have on is under the CP.
I've worn the mesh shirt under a pullover, but like you, the temperature dictates. If it's cold enough for the shirt and the jacket, it won't be warming up enough to ditch the jacket in the 3rd. If it's boderline, I'll skip the mesh, but then it might warm up and I'm stuck. Odds are I'll always finish the way I start.

Mike
Old Sat Dec 24, 2005, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Walsh
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
I've worn the mesh shirt under a pullover, but like you, the temperature dictates. If it's cold enough for the shirt and the jacket, it won't be warming up enough to ditch the jacket in the 3rd. If it's boderline, I'll skip the mesh, but then it might warm up and I'm stuck. Odds are I'll always finish the way I start.

Mike
I bought a long sleeve mesh at the beginnning of the year this year. It was perfect for plate games on borderline days.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2005, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by DG

Mike
I bought a long sleeve mesh at the beginnning of the year this year. It was perfect for plate games on borderline days.
If God wanted us to wear long sleeve uniform shirts, He wouldn't have given us unlined pullovers.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2005, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PWL
Why did God give us indicators for?
1. To use behind the plate.

2. For Smitty's with short attention spans to amuse themselves on the bases.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2005, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

No,I don't.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2005, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PWL
If you talking about those blazers
Quote:
when wearing a pullover jacket
Old Sat Dec 24, 2005, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GarthB
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
If God wanted us to wear long sleeve uniform shirts, He wouldn't have given us unlined pullovers.
I don't have an unlined pullover, mine is lined. But I have a long sleeve shirt...
Old Sun Dec 25, 2005, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PWL
But when I'm on the bases, I can't give the count verbally and hold up my fingers with every pitch.
you hold up the count on every pitch while working the bases? i figured that stayed with LL
Old Sun Dec 25, 2005, 04:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
No, that's just not true, Brian. Those of us working the bases on 90' diamond Little League games have been taught to jog to the mound and whisper the count into the pitchers ear after every pitch. We take the ball and inspect it for leaks, and pull out our plate brush from our back pocket or ball bag to dust off the pitchers plate.

Then we run to the plate area to have a conference with the PU to make sure we've got it right. Next, we call out the managers to be certain that they concur with what we have for a count.

If they don't concur then we go ask one of the board members or the league UIC to render a decision. If they do concur, we hustle back to our position, give Dugout a big wet Willy on the way by, pull out our plate brush to sweep off the nearest bag, and then allow play to resume.

The games are a little long at close to 10 hours each, but we get more hot dogs for working a 10 hour game then we would for working a 2 hour game!

Merry Christmas!!

Tim.

Old Sun Dec 25, 2005, 11:46am

Quote:
Originally posted by BigUmp56
No, that's just not true, Brian. Those of us working the bases on 90' diamond Little League games have been taught to jog to the mound and whisper the count into the pitchers ear after every pitch. We take the ball and inspect it for leaks, and pull out our plate brush from our back pocket or ball bag to dust off the pitchers plate.

Then we run to the plate area to have a conference with the PU to make sure we've got it right. Next, we call out the managers to be certain that they concur with what we have for a count.

If they don't concur then we go ask one of the board members or the league UIC to render a decision. If they do concur, we hustle back to our position, give Dugout a big wet Willy on the way by, pull out our plate brush to sweep off the nearest bag, and then allow play to resume.

The games are a little long at close to 10 hours each, but we get more hot dogs for working a 10 hour game then we would for working a 2 hour game!

Merry Christmas!!

Tim.

In other words, standard pro school mechanics!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Dec 25, 2005, 01:53pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Quote:

I've never put a jacket over a shirt. If I wear a jacket on the bases, I finish the game in it. If I wear a shirt, I finish the game in it, unless it starts raining and I can send someone to the car for me.

On the plate, it's a plate coat (I have 2, one navy and one black and am about to replace the navy one for this spring) or a long sleeved shirt when cool. Apologies to Garth, but the long-sleeved shirt is the best new piece of equipment out there. Unlike Carl's association, where it's acceptable, I'd never wear my cold gear under a short sleeved shirt.

As for the Robocop reference, it's how it's supposed to look. The plate coat goes over the protector. I did have a coach try to tell me it was distracting last season, but he couldn't tell me to whom it would be distracting. The same coach downgraded me for not letting his kid tape over an earring (in a FED game), though, so consider the source.

--Rich