The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Lose the ball bag too

I wouldn't want smitty to get the idea that he doesn't have to wear a belt, that he's fine in one of those fancy navy Under Armor t-shirts, or that he can wear his cleats beind the plate either.

Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Your stupid rants will get this thread killed too.

It's one thing to go for a larf or two. You just go to the well too many times. Kinda like a point guard knocking down two three pointers in a row, and then going 0-6.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Relax, There Just Threads

I wasn't going after a LIFT in this thread. It SEAMS to me we were discussing being properly dressed in UMPIRE clothing on a very cold day.

I love to wear a new hat with the 2 inch brim around town just for fun and because NO one else wears one. Its like my own personalized fashion statement. It gets a lot of attention with my favorite matching cold weather jacket.

Then I add the patent leather belt and plate shoes, a sharp crease in the heather gray pants, and just the right amout of starch in the NAVY shirt. Oh, I also wear black leather gloves and a scarf if its really WINDY out there.

----------------
By the way, its not like I go out of my way to jump on each and every thread just to impress the big dogs with an utter.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

Re: By the Rulebook

Quote:
Originally posted by SAump
Not wearing a shirt equates to not wearing your uniform.
how so?
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Re: You asked

Quote:
MLB 1.11 (3) No player whose uniform does not conform to that of his teammates shall be permitted to participate in a game.

Also, under FED rules, a player cannot wear a jacket over his shirt while on defense.
I'm still waiting for you to cite a rule in any rules code stating it is illegal for a player to not wear socks.

What do you do when they pull their pants down over the back of their cleats? Do you ask them to pull them up so you can check?

What about players wearing high top cleats with a low cut sock?

OOO.

Tim.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 01:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PWL

(referenced post deleted)

Obviously you didn't get an e-mail from Bob Jenkins or you didn't understand what he was saying in it.

Bob you need to level the playing field if you're going to allow this child to make these comments. I don't think it's right for you to send me e-mails asking me to not respond to this jerk if you're going to allow these type of post's from him. You assured me yesterday that you had sent him an e-mail asking him to stop this BS. Please let me know how many of these nonsensical post's from this child I have to endure before I am allowed to defend myself or how how many of his post's need to be deleted before further action is warranted.

Tim.

Tim.

[Edited by bob jenkins on Jan 16th, 2006 at 09:21 AM]
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Unprofessional OOO

Dear Monday Morning QB,

Did you enjoy football yesterday? Happy MLK day! Please go out and celibrate your government holiday. Take the day OFF.

Not wearing socks is like a kid wearing his baseball cap backwards. He can do it. But an UMPIRE should request that he turn it around and wear it like a baseball cap.

MLB 1.11 (a) (1) All players on a team shall wear uniforms identical in color, trim and style, ...

I would prove that this apllies to (MLB) umpires as well, but then all my hard work would VANISH like a RISING fastball. So I will not bother.

Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Dear Monday Morning QB,

Did you enjoy football yesterday? Happy MLK day! Please go out and celibrate your government holiday. Take the day OFF.

Not wearing socks is like a kid wearing his baseball cap backwards. He can do it. But an UMPIRE should request that he turn it around and wear it like a baseball cap.

MLB 1.11 (a) (1) All players on a team shall wear uniforms identical in color, trim and style, ...

I would prove that this apllies to (MLB) umpires as well, but then all my hard work would VANISH like a RISING fastball. So I will not bother.

As much as I would have liked to enjoyed football yesterday, both the Colts and the Bears made that pretty much impossible.

I understand you saying a player should wear socks. My point is you can't tell him he has to wear socks unless you're an OOO. There's been an increasing trend for baseball players to wear full length pants where the bottom of the pant leg is pulled over the back of the shoe. You can't see if a player is wearing socks or not if they wear their pants in this fasion. I'm also accustomed to seeing players wearing high top cleats with an ankle cut sock. Are these players in violation of 1.11?

Are you checking all the players for socks? If you did find a player without socks, what are you going to do, tell him he can't play?

OOO

I guess the next time you see an exploding fastball you'll be looking for shrapnel.

Tim.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PWL
Quote:

My Uncle Bob actually sent me an e-mail encouraging me to keep it up. Said that he thought this might be the best way to get rid of you after that little spam job you pulled Saturday. Fix your skirt Queenie, your slip is showing.

BTW-If you have some nits to pick check this out.
http://www.lice-rx.com

I didn't spam this board.

(1)

Tim.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigUmp56
Obviously you didn't get an e-mail from Bob Jenkins or you didn't understand what he was saying in it.

Bob you need to level the playing field if you're going to allow this child to make these comments. I don't think it's right for you to send me e-mails asking me to not respond to this jerk if you're going to allow these type of post's from him. You assured me yesterday that you had sent him an e-mail asking him to stop this BS. Please let me know how many of these nonsensical post's from this child I have to endure before I am allowed to defend myself or how how many of his post's need to be deleted before further action is warranted.

Tim.

Tim.
I did send him an email -- and you need to give me time to read and respond to his posts of this nature. As hard as it might be to believe, I don't monitor this board 24x7.

Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

I never doubted that you did send him one, Bob. My point was he either didn't read it or didn't understand what you were saying.

Thank you.

Tim.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 11:38am
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: By the Rulebook

Quote:
Would you let a fielder play without his socks?

Not wearing a shirt equates to not wearing your uniform.

Wear your uniform and shine your shoes.

If you need a jacket, wear a jacket.
You must be joking. Nobody I know would waste a clean shirt in order to wear it under a jacket.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Okay.

I don't mean this in a smart alec or sarcastic way, but why don't the both of you stop being so juvenile.

Seriously...

Quote:
Originally posted by PWL
Bob,

Why don't you just make him a moderator. Guy's nothing but a control freak anyway. He wants it his way or no way.
He has a choice. But no, he wants to make choices for everybody else.

All he has to do is LEAVE. He won't be bothered by me again. Then I can go back to reading, learning and maybe just an occassional post like before.

Does that sound good to everybody else?

Don't be shy. Feel free to chime in.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Following along in Kaliix shoes . . .

I wonder if it is even important to post anything on this forum. No matter how good the topic is eventually it becomes a WOBW with silly, petty, narcissistic ego pumping by a small few.

But I'll try:

I guess I am misunderstanding a few things in the thread.

I wear a plate coat. I would never wear a shirt over the Carlucci chest protector. I wear McDavid's under the protector.

I was also brought up that a plate coat is to be worn on any game that will end under the lights. Texas and Florida friends have asked me to come and work there on nights when the temperature and humidty would make that deathly.

When working the bases I dress for the day and that does not change. I am confused a little in this thread as it appears that some think you need to wear an "umpire shirt" under your pullover while working the pads.

I have never heard that in my life. Even Alabama would allow just a UA/McDavid's under the pullover --

UNLESS,

for some reason you wanted to take off the pullover.

I think all areas of the world have "huge temperature swings" . . . it is not just a coastal issue, a Texas issue or a Kansas issue -- cold fronts move through, cloudy days become perfect weather.

I won't judge others:

I wear EITHER a plate coat (less outer shirt) or a short sleeved shirt (over the CP) when on the stick.

I wear either a pullover (with as much dadburn under garment as necessary) or go with a short sleeved shirt when working the pads.

No matter what . . . I wear what I started with until I get back to the car.

Tee

~Aside~

I worked three days of games at the University of Nebraska one spring. It was 90*.

It was 24* on Friday, 32* on Saturday and 34* on Sunday. And the wind blew the entire time.

I wore everything I had with me.

T

Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I too am somewhat puzzled at times by the behavior of some that participate in this forum.

As to this topic.

If I wear a "wind breaker" jacket on the plate, I never wear anything but an Under Armour or McDavid intera-wear shirt underneath. I always wear a pair of McDavid tights with a cup pocket, no matter the weather. I sometimes augment those with old fashioned long john pants in the extreme California cold (under 40, grin).

If I'm working the bases, and its cold, I may put everything but the kitchen sink under my "wind breaker" jacket, but that never includes an umpire shirt.

I keep whatever I have on at the beginning of the game on until the end of the game.

If that bothers some of you here, so what.

Bob

[Edited by RPatrino on Jan 16th, 2006 at 02:01 PM]

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.