Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 06:34am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoSteve
Quote:
Originally posted by ozzy6900
Carl,

What are you saying? Don't you realize that everyone in the ADA and the ACLU will hunt you down like a "dawg"?

Well, they can hunt me down too. Wheelchairs, crutches and canes have no place on the field during play. I am also not too keen on artificial limbs on the baseball field. I am not against the handicapped but I don't want to see a player collide with a coach in a wheelchair!
Oz, does that include that seeing-eye dog you've been using?
Yup! I have him urinate on the coach's legs when they come out to argue a call.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

My God, that's what this is about? I posted something on another thread and the query ends up here? So much for tangental thinking.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's a question from the 1996 Texas state umpires' exam.

The runner from second is advancing on a hit when he is obstructed by the third baseman. The runner then trips over the third base and, as he rises, is pushed toward home by the head coach. The umpire will rule:

A. The obstruction balances out the interference. Let the play stand.
B. Penalize the obstruction since it occurred first.
C. Call the runner out after playing action is over.
D. Call the runner out and kill play immediately.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You said that you don't use the NFHS test, and the NCAA and Pros aren't testing Texans like this, so I'll assume that Fed rules apply.

I go with C. His obstruction protection is terminated when he voluntarily passes the base he would have been awarded. As he had not reached third, my award would have been just that base. Nowhere did I read that the obsruction caused him to trip over the base. Since Carl has a problem with me saying probably and I didn't actually see the play, I'll go with my instincts that the obstruction was not related to him tripping. He was greedy and jeopardized his safety by trying to advance. The coach affected the outcome of this play. I would not ignore the assistance any more than I would ignore the obstruction. Wait until playing action ceases and call 'Time'. Call the runner out for interference and take a deep breath. The coach that will be yelling is the same one who caused the out, so his interest is vested. I usually let them vent for a while, when the steam rises it gets cooler.

There, my cards are on the table and I'm waiting to see the flop. I didn't really think this was a trick as much as fly sh*t in the pepper. I would suggest that the NFHS test might have been a better tool if this was a prime example.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WhatWuzThatBlue
The coach that will be yelling is the same one who caused the out, so his interest is vested.
Vested interests? By God am I on an umpire forum or back in a first year law school class?
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure, but good luck with the Bar. They say the first two years are a walk in the park compared to the last. From what I've noticed, this Forum is not keen on lawyers; just ask Pete and cb.

I'm sorry if the adult language puzzled you. In a couple of years, you'll be able to write well too. (Yes, SDS and Tim, that was intended.)
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
I learned something new by reading this thread

Whatever content filters you guys use allows prick, but does not allow ****, *******, *** or *****.

Interesting.

Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

Whatever content filters you guys use allows prick, but does not allow ****, *******, *** or *****.

Interesting.

That's because, as George Carlin says, those are "two-way" words. Example:

You can prick your finger, but you can't finger....
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress
Quote:

Interesting.

Thanks for the clarification.

Now I'll teach you something: if your friend Dotson Lewis truly has a black belt in a martial art he would sooner die than use it to defend himself in a verbal sparring match about baseball rules.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Interesting.

Now I'll teach you something: if your friend Dotson Lewis truly has a black belt in a martial art he would sooner die than use it to defend himself in a verbal sparring match about baseball rules.
I understand: karate is a defensive martial art. But Dotson is also a hot-tempered little p....
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Interesting.

I understand: karate is a defensive martial art. But Dotson is also a hot-tempered little p....
Maybe he's a little prick because he's compensating for his little prick?

Anyways, the adults that attain a black belt generally lose whatever inadequacies they bring to the game, along with the major symptom of hot-headedness.

Not always though. The remainders are called *** holes.

edit to say:

But I doubt he's truly an *** hole. You're merely painting him that way, imo. Wonder why that is?
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Interesting.

Anyways, the adults that attain a black belt generally lose whatever inadequacies they bring to the game, along with the major symptom of hot-headedness.

edit to say:

But I doubt he's truly an *** hole. You're merely painting him that way, imo. Wonder why that is?
Oh, I see. I didn't catch your tone. Stupid of me.

You wrote: "You're merely painting him that way, imo. Wonder why that is?"

Since you don't know him and had probably never heard of him, imo, wonder why that's any of your business.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Interesting.

edit to say:

Oh, I see. I didn't catch your tone. Stupid of me.

You wrote: "You're merely painting him that way, imo. Wonder why that is?"

Since you don't know him and had probably never heard of him, imo, wonder why that's any of your business.

Maybe it's not any of my business.

Just curious that you would use this other person's standing as a retired Army officer & holder of a black belt to imply a physical threat to a fellow poster. On the other hand I do read what you post here and you represent this e'zine as editor....so maybe I'm entitled to my idle curiosity.

In any event I still don't believe a retired Army officer and holder of a black belt would be a certified *** hole, call me naive. But as you say...it's none of my business.

Maybe.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 11:25pm

Dan,

I was in the Army many moons ago, and I am 100% sure that there are many retired officers who are certified *** holes. They sure were when they were active duty. I'm fairly certain that black belts are not immune from that distinction either.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoSteve
Dan,

I was in the Army many moons ago, and I am 100% sure that there are many retired officers who are certified *** holes. They sure were when they were active duty. I'm fairly certain that black belts are not immune from that distinction either.
Oh, I'm not saying officers are immune from being *** holes. Not at all. And there are black belts that are *** holes I am sure, I just don't know any personally (yes, I do know more than my fair share). But I am willing to give Carl's friend the benefit of the doubt and assume he's not a lapdog who attacks on Carl's command. Contrary to what Carl very strongly implied. That's all I'm saying.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

You weren't the only one that thought he was none too subtle with that tidbit. I laughed it off like most of his attempts to discourage, dissuade or dodge. [Hey 3 Ds...that means you can still play football for Miami!]

Who cares who authored the test [or that he didn't structure it in a Carl approved fashion]? That question and answers were similar to what you see a couple times a year on a Fed test and at least once on the annual NCAA examination. It's frustrating but that's umpiring.

How long before we see an 1,800 word article on this exercise in futility? Third world plays don't ruin careers. Most veterans have had a head scratcher or two. Second guessing the guy making the call is part of our nature. We've done it with the WS, CWS, LLWS and local rec games. You can spend a lifetime preparing for one of these but that is a waste of time. Worry about the bread and butter calls - those make and break careers!
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Hooray,

For WCB . . . a guy who "gets it." Finally.

TWPs are a huge waste of bad width and association time.

If an umpire concentrates on fair/foul, ball/strike and safe/out their umpire career will rocket past all those poor souls who actually worry about the answer of any TWP.

Hooray WCB, maybe this site will leave the personal battle fields betwix two posters, the wasteful time of Little League issues and get back to discussions that actually improve umpires that work games of players of shaving age.