Thread: Did Carl know?
View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

My God, that's what this is about? I posted something on another thread and the query ends up here? So much for tangental thinking.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's a question from the 1996 Texas state umpires' exam.

The runner from second is advancing on a hit when he is obstructed by the third baseman. The runner then trips over the third base and, as he rises, is pushed toward home by the head coach. The umpire will rule:

A. The obstruction balances out the interference. Let the play stand.
B. Penalize the obstruction since it occurred first.
C. Call the runner out after playing action is over.
D. Call the runner out and kill play immediately.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You said that you don't use the NFHS test, and the NCAA and Pros aren't testing Texans like this, so I'll assume that Fed rules apply.

I go with C. His obstruction protection is terminated when he voluntarily passes the base he would have been awarded. As he had not reached third, my award would have been just that base. Nowhere did I read that the obsruction caused him to trip over the base. Since Carl has a problem with me saying probably and I didn't actually see the play, I'll go with my instincts that the obstruction was not related to him tripping. He was greedy and jeopardized his safety by trying to advance. The coach affected the outcome of this play. I would not ignore the assistance any more than I would ignore the obstruction. Wait until playing action ceases and call 'Time'. Call the runner out for interference and take a deep breath. The coach that will be yelling is the same one who caused the out, so his interest is vested. I usually let them vent for a while, when the steam rises it gets cooler.

There, my cards are on the table and I'm waiting to see the flop. I didn't really think this was a trick as much as fly sh*t in the pepper. I would suggest that the NFHS test might have been a better tool if this was a prime example.