The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 06:47am
Official Forum Member

1500mg of Glucosamine and 1200mg of Chondrotin. I think that those are fairly standard amounts. The dosage comes in two large pills. I down both at breakfast but the recommendation is one a.m., one p.m.

I don't want to get preachy about this stuff. Suffice it to say it has made a very noticeable difference in my quality of life because it has reduced the amount of pain I feel considerably.

It is approximately $25 for a bottle at Costco. It may work and it can't hurt you and for the possible benefits, $25 is a drop in the bucket.

Quote:
Originally posted by JJ
Kaliix, how much of that stuff do you take, and do you take it more than once a day? I've heard mixed reviews, but if it will ward off pain I'm all for it...

JJ
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Glucosamine and chondroitin are not snake oil. Here's info from the Arthritis Foundation: http://www.arthritis.org/conditions/...lucosamine.asp
Quote:
Past studies show that some people with mild to moderate osteoarthritis (OA) taking either glucosamine or chondroitin sulfate reported pain relief at a level similar to that of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as aspirin and ibuprofen. Some research indicates that the supplements might also slow cartilage damage in people with OA. Definitive results about the effects of these supplements are expected from an in-depth clinical study currently being conducted by the National Institutes of Health (emphasis added).
See also QuackWatch: http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quackery...ucosamine.html

I take half the dosage Kallix mentions (1 pill/day) and have had excellent results.