The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 26, 2005, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

I am wondering if anyone has been experiencing trouble with their knees since becoming an umpire. The outer sides of mine are really starting to give me trouble. I am curious if being in the set position and using the GD stance could be my culprits.
Old Sat Nov 26, 2005, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

No problems here. It's hard to believe the GD stance could cause problems. It's about the the most stress-free stance there is.

In my experience, most leg and knee problems are caused by not keeping those parts of the body fit or carrying too much weight.
Old Sat Nov 26, 2005, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Out of the 8 years I umpired, 3-4 seasons I was 20-25 pounds heavier than now. The weight I am at now is in the right range for my height. I agree that the GD stance is comfortable. I am just doing some troubleshooting at this point. Thought it would be interesting what other umpires may be experiencing even if it's different than the knees.
Old Sat Nov 26, 2005, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Diamondgal
I am wondering if anyone has been experiencing trouble with their knees since becoming an umpire. The outer sides of mine are really starting to give me trouble. I am curious if being in the set position and using the GD stance could be my culprits.
My knees, and my lower back are a lot less of a problem since I went to GD.
Old Sat Nov 26, 2005, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

contributing factors

Make sure you check your plate shoes.....If your shoes are older and the heels are worn on an angle, you can be putting stress on your knees....

Found this out while changing with a partner after a double header... His plate shoes were sitting on the trunk of his car....they had a distinct lean to the outside due to considerable wear..... He was complaining of knee pain as well....with new shoes, the problem was reduced........

Also found out that the shoes were a good 10 seasons old and were second hand.......Shoes mold to the foot of the wearer....which also could be a factor......

Stan
Old Sat Nov 26, 2005, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

my knees are ok, but not the best. however, that has nothing to do with umpiring, just how i caught when i was a catcher a few years ago.

i got down very low, and had my feet a little wider than shoulder width and could almost have my butt on the ground in that position. of course thats only with no runners on, but it was not a good position to be in as it tweaks both your hip and knees a little. looking back, i shouldnt have been that low since it may cause some trouble eventually, but lots of people do/did that and they seem to be alright so maybe im just out of shape at the moment.

being in the GD stance is definitely a comfortable stance and hasnt given me any new pain, and i dont experience any of the old pains (if you could really call them pains).
Old Sat Nov 26, 2005, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Knee Pain

Shoes are one answer to the knee pain question. Leg alignment may also be part. Ask these questions are you balanced on your feet?
Feet an knees in a line not forcing out or in on the knee?
A video/photo in your stance may provide some answers.
If it is more than sore muscle pain find the answer dont ignore your body telling you something is not right
Old Sun Nov 27, 2005, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Diamondgal
I get some pain within the back part of my right knee about half way through the season. I think it is from the many hours I spend "on my feet" at work then umpiring at least 4 times per week (on a slow week). Shoes, as mentioned in other replies, are very important, as is proper rest.
About 2-3 weeks prior to the start of the spring season I complete 50 "squats" or knee bends each day which helps get my legs and knees ready for the upcoming season.
Of course, I am not a doctor but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express. (intended humor) :>)
Old Sun Nov 27, 2005, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Hopefully, I am not missing something, and that Diamondgal is an umpire of the female persuasion.

Having a daughter who is working her way through the rigors of a travel soccer program, I am aware that there are studies that conclude or tilt in the direction of findings that women are more susceptible to ACL and/or other knee ligament tears and injuries, due to physiological differences in either the knee construction or the weight borne by the knees during physical activity. One day, I will read what has been written in this regard.

I have no idea if there might be any correlation between increaed risk of ligament injuries from participating in a sport and knee problems arising from officiating a sport from a bent knee position. I just know that I am a slightly overweight umpire, in his late 40's, and knee problems are not a concern at this point.
Old Sun Nov 27, 2005, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Cool

Diamond Gal,

Two years ago I had my sixth knee surgery. I've had four on my right knee from a severe football injury, and two on my left knee due to a fall I took from an elevated platform on a transformer bank.

I'm in my early 40's and am now starting to feel the effects of osteoarthritis in both knees. I looked into a newer procedure where the fluid is drained from the knee and a fluid is injected into the knee joint. The medication(or fluid) is known as Synvisk(sp?) I had it injected into both knees prior to the start of last season. It's effects have lasted for seven months now. I'm just now starting to feel some of the more severe pain returning. You may want to ask your doctor about this.

This site has some decent information on knee pain. One of the things I found most interesting on the site, was the fact that one can have a genetic pre-disposition to osteoarthritis.

Take the time and check it out. You may find some answers there.

Tim.

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/knee...a/kneepain.htm
Old Sun Nov 27, 2005, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Smile BigUmp56....

I prefer

"Never wrestle with a pig; you end up dirty, and the pig enjoys it!"
Old Mon Nov 28, 2005, 11:05am
Veteran College Umpire

I just finished two months of physical therapy for my left knee and right hip. I had no damage (from an umping injury), but the pain was bothersome. Osteoartritis. The doctor suggested strengthening the muscles around the painful areas, and that should help. It has, and provided I keep up the exercise program (the hard part), I should be in pretty good shape come March. Getting older is so much fun!

JJ
Old Mon Nov 28, 2005, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Surprisingly, I have not encountered any knee pain due to umpiring in the last two years. I say surprisingly because I have had three knee operations on a right knee that has caused considerable pain in the past.

For those of you who have bad knees or joints, I would recommend something that has worked very well for me. Glucosamine and Chondrotin are sold in many different joint remedies and on the recommedation of my Ortho's PA, I started taking it after recurrent partially debilitating knee pain on my right knee.

The Glucosamine and Chondrotin pills that I have taken have been incredibly effective at reducing the amount of pain in my knees. I no longer go through two or three weeks of sometimes agonizing pain from my knee (to the point where I almost couldn't walk or take stairs) and I recover better after physical exertion.

Glucosamine and Chondrotin may or may not work for you, but if you have recurrent joint pain I strongly recommend that you try it. It has worked wonders for me and I will never stop taking it. Your mileage may vary.

p.s. I get mine at Costco for about as cheap as I have seen it.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Mon Nov 28, 2005, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gotblue?
[B]Hopefully, I am not missing something, and that Diamondgal is an umpire of the female persuasion.

LOL! Go to page 50 of Referee's December issue and you'll have your answer.

Thank you all for your input. I did check out that website you posted, Bigump, and it is interesting.

I'm in the process of setting up an appt. with a doctor in a different area who might have an answer for me. (The healthcare in my area is somewhat lacking) I just want to get to the bottom of this. I have noticed that my knees are worse during the off season, so I agree that I need to exercise it more often.

Oh, and talk about an offseason! We have been getting freezing rain, sleet and now heavy snow. I want spring and summer back!
Old Mon Nov 28, 2005, 10:05pm
Veteran College Umpire

Kaliix, how much of that stuff do you take, and do you take it more than once a day? I've heard mixed reviews, but if it will ward off pain I'm all for it...

JJ