The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 18, 2005, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

I just got certified to be an umpire in Mich. and I was wondering if anyone had any advice about good quality equipment for a reasonable price.
Old Sun Sep 18, 2005, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Check ebay....otherwise, I get all my equipment from Honigs.com. You can also try searching for specific model number items on amazon.com, I got a brand new wilson facemask for $45, it retails for about $65 normally. Good luck and welcome to the club.
Old Sun Sep 18, 2005, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

If you really are serious, dont go cheap...it will only make you spend more in the future. I recommend the Honig's equipment package for $230-ish. Its all good stuff.

[Edited by mrm21711 on Sep 18th, 2005 at 07:56 PM]
Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric 26
I just got certified to be an umpire in Mich. and I was wondering if anyone had any advice about good quality equipment for a reasonable price.
This is a lot like opening Pandora's box. What works for one umpire doesn't necessarily work for another and there will never be total agreement amongst umpires. [Just skim through the helmet vs. mask thread.]

Get what works for you and within the price range you feel comfortable with. One of the best methods is to try and borrow some of your buddies' equipment so you can see exactly how it works for you.
Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Pro-9 has a line of umpire gear that gets generally very good reviews from its users, and is quite affordable. Their chest protector is compared favorably to the Honig's K-1, and can be bought for around $60 I think.
Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

I second the ebay recommendation. I purchased my first set of umpiring gear on ebay and got a great deal on a good set of gear. I sold it a year later and made all my money back, plus a couple of bucks.

If you set up an ebay search for "umpire" you will see the stuff that comes around and know about what you should pay. Guys are always selling their used gear because they, retired, didn't like umpiring, or upgraded their gear.

Good deals can also be found if you are willing to look. I got my All-Star hockey style mask for $50. You can't touch it for less than $100 retail. I bought a set of shin guards that the catcher on last years OBR was wearing, for $28 total. I cut off a couple pieces I didn't need and I have a great pair of shin guards for a $100 less than retail.

Gotta love ebay!
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally posted by mrm21711
If you really are serious, dont go cheap...it will only make you spend more in the future. I recommend the Honig's equipment package for $230-ish. Its all good stuff.

[Edited by mrm21711 on Sep 18th, 2005 at 07:56 PM]
I'm with MRM on this one. Honigs has excellent equipment at reasonable prices. The nice thing about Honigs as opposed to +POS for example is the fact that they ship very quickly. Usually within two business days. They also have an excellent policy on returns. They will take anything back unused that has not been personalized.

Buy on e-bay if you like, but the thought of putting on someone elses old sweated up used equipment, has no appeal to me. I say, invest the $$$ if you are sure that umpiring is not just a passing fad for you. The equipment will eventually pay for itself.

JMO-

Tim.
Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Buy on e-bay if you like, but the thought of putting on someone elses old sweated up used equipment, has no appeal to me. I say, invest the $$$ if you are sure that umpiring is not just a passing fad for you. The equipment will eventually pay for itself.
If one is skeived out by wearing someone elses equipment, don't buy used on ebay.

If you are smart about your purchase, you will buy from someone who has good pictures and descriptions and has taken care of their equipment. Remeber, equipment can be washed. The stuff I bought was well taken care of and I sold it in the same manner.

I recommend ebay for someone new into umpiring who doesn't know if it is something that he is going to stick with. If you just want to give it a try, you can get all your protective equipment for under a hundred bucks. It is a smart way to start.

You would be amazed how much equipment goes up on ebay from people who tried umpiring and found that they didn't like it.

The stuff that I now use was all brand new equipment when I bought it on ebay and I saved a substantial amount of money.

If you know you are going to stick with it, buy good new equipment. Just be aware that you really won't know what is good, or good to you and that your opinion of that equipment might change. Which is just another reason to start off with a minimal investment at first. No matter where you buy the equipment from.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Eric,
I live in Michigan and have plenty of equipment I can sell you. Email at [email protected] if you are interested
Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Buy pro gear. You'll never regret buying the best.

Ebay is great, lots of great deals. New, used, you make the call. West Vest, Honigs, +POS, etc. don't cheap out. If you continue, you'll not wish for better gear next year. If you choose to retire, pro gear brings top dollar on ebay.

The true cost of anything is what you paid for it, minus what you can sell if for later. I bought used +POS plate shoes on ebay, used them for two years, my son used them for one, and then sold them for a profit. You can do that with quality gear. I couldn't have done the same with Riddle plate shoes. Save your pennies, and go with the best.

Kyle
Old Thu Sep 22, 2005, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to kraine27 Send a message via MSN to kraine27 Send a message via Yahoo to kraine27
gerrydavis.com sells really good stuff. They are typically a little higher priced than most, but very good comfortable stuff.
Old Thu Sep 22, 2005, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by umpyre007
Quote:

One of the best methods is to try and borrow some of your buddies' equipment so you can see exactly how it works for you.
Just don't ask to borrow his cup....
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by umpduck11
[QUOTE

Just don't ask to borrow his cup....
Pheew!!!
Old Mon Sep 26, 2005, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Look at the first year as an investment. I do not know about Michigan, but here in NY certain attire is mandatory.

Ie; Fechheimer Grey pants. Even if you get the Combo pants you still need at least 2 pair to start. That will run about $40./$45 a pair.

Then there are the shirts plus the NY State insignia. We are required to wear the Cliff Keen Navy Blue for Spring ball and the Powder Blue for summer. The shirts sell for about $30.00 a piece and it is recommended that you buy at least 2 of each.

For the cold whether we use the Navy Blue pullover jackets with NY insignia - $50.00

Plate Shoes - anywhere from $85.00 - $130.00 depending upon your taste.

In a nutshell before you even get into the BULK equipment, the uniform and accessories will run you about $350.00

Depending upon the level of ball you are going to call, I would not go "cheap" on a chest protector. It only takes one or 2 straight on "shots" (which we have all taken) in which to get a serious injury. I personally like the West Vest but as others mentioned, the "top of the line" Honigs and +POS vests are similiar.

As mentioned, use your first year as an investment year. Then each year you only need to buy one or 2 things like new pants, etc. The reason I receommend buying a top of the line chest protector is ultimately it will save you money.

Ie; even if you are only going to call Modified HS ball (7th/8th graders), eventually you are going to move up and you will have to upgrade anyway.

Pete Booth
Old Mon Sep 26, 2005, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Equipment

I will agree with the others that said to not go cheap on your protective gear. Personally I have the West Vest CP. I know several people who got the +Pos body armor and just hated it, said it was too bulky & heavy. If you can afford it, get a good pair of shoes. With you being on your feet the whole game, you will want something that is comfortable and will provide good protection. I recently got a pair of Gerry Davis patent leather high tops. Love them!! Feel great and easy to clean up after a game. They will run around $140 though.

Good luck!