Thread: Equipment
View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

I second the ebay recommendation. I purchased my first set of umpiring gear on ebay and got a great deal on a good set of gear. I sold it a year later and made all my money back, plus a couple of bucks.

If you set up an ebay search for "umpire" you will see the stuff that comes around and know about what you should pay. Guys are always selling their used gear because they, retired, didn't like umpiring, or upgraded their gear.

Good deals can also be found if you are willing to look. I got my All-Star hockey style mask for $50. You can't touch it for less than $100 retail. I bought a set of shin guards that the catcher on last years OBR was wearing, for $28 total. I cut off a couple pieces I didn't need and I have a great pair of shin guards for a $100 less than retail.

Gotta love ebay!
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates